Got a dud battery

Saw a few positive posts in the past about the $50ish 1 year batteries at Walmart. Thinking they were a good deal I put on in our FJ.

Exactly 13 months later it's down to 500 cca which is a fail on my tester.

Never ran down or abused... Darn.

• Wow
Reactions: rav
I usually get just under 2 years on those in my Accord. For whatever reason, it is hard on batteries and always has been. No faults found. Charging voltage is always perfect, no vampire drain. Probably a combination of heat and factory charging scheme. So it is either a new $60 battery every 2 years or a new $120-150 one every 3 or so.

Saw a few positive posts in the past about the $50ish 1 year batteries at Walmart. Thinking they were a good deal I put on in our FJ.

I've had good and bad ones. I bought a 'ValuePower 65' battery in summer of 2018 and it died 12 months and 3 weeks later, just out of warranty. Bought it again, it was rebranded to "Everstart Value" 65: same JC manufacturer, same specs, exact same battery. It has now been 3 years and 4 months and it still cranks the Jeep fine. I don't have a CCA tester, but the voltage is at 12.46V in the morning. I don't know why this one lasted much longer than the previous one. No electrical work was done on the vehicle during all this time.

What does your tester say for state of health and state of charge?

I have one of the $55.00 batteries as well - it came home not in great shape, but hasn't been diminished much. I think I am at 10 months.

I've got several of them in various vehicles. Including two group 65's one from 2018 and one from 2017 in two old f-150's that are both still cranking fine.. I did have one in my Mazda go bad at 13 months.

When I see a Walmart ValuePower in a used car for sale, I know it’s suspect and being flipped on the cheap. I scrutinize even closer.

That said, I’ve bought a few of these cheap batteries to get a niece or nephew by for a few months or so until they can get a better one. Or a better car. I’ve also bought them to bring an auction car home, knowing it will likely die in the months before I can get a good start on it. Disposable, and I’ll use the ValuePower as a core.

Now if this situation the OP brought up was on the Maxx Start or another better, more expensive battery, I’d understand the irritation. Consider the ValuePower a very disposable, short-term battery until you can get a better one. And don’t worry about it being only 500 CCA now. 😏

I got 13 months on an Everstart Maxx. Sweet! It’s warranted replacement didn’t last much longer. Those were the good old Johnson Controls days.

I got the Maxx for the warranty. So far so good. My car is garaged fwiw.

500 cca is plenty for an FJ. Battery could stay at that level for years. A few days on a battery reconditioner might even increase it.

What does your tester say for state of health and state of charge?

I have one of the $55.00 batteries as well - it came home not in great shape, but hasn't been diminished much. I think I am at 10 months.
65%

Back