Google Chromebook Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pro's cheap, google keeps your information on their computers not your computers hard drive so no worry a about your hard drive crashing and loosing all your data.
Cons. Google keeps all of your data. Almost useless without a Internet connection because most of the "software" run on the device really is not on the device. No compatibility with anything since it really just a Internet connected web browser.
That's what it is to my knowledge. If I'm incorrect feel free to chime in.

The cons definitely outweigh the pros on these.

Pros: Cheap, light ...

Cons: Can't run ANY software (at least Linux, Mac have their own software that isn't cloud based), really only good for browsing the web, not full featured computers.

I like the Chromebook and am trying to decide between the $200 Acer and the $250 Samsung.
I basically surf the net and read e-mails so it's really all I need.
Most new computers come with Win 8 which I haven't heard much positive about. I like the fact that I don't have to deal with Bill Gates nonsense....

I hear MicroSoft will tie its programs to one computer.

On the Chromebook I understand many Apps are avaliable free and to purchase. They also throw in 250 Mb of Verizpn each month.

I have the Samsung Chromebook that I just bought a couple months ago to replace an old netbook that I use when traveling and around the house. I am very happy with it!

Pros - Build quality is excellent
Battery life is great (6-8 hrs)
No moving parts (no HD or fan)
Boots up quick
Great keyboard and mouse

Cons -
All it does is run the Chrome browser

For what I use it for, I could actually have a Chromebook as my primary computer. I do everything online, so reading news, e-mails, browsing BITOG, paying bills it does all that. There are a ton of apps/extensions that you can install. Also, you can save files for use offline, and you can use Google docs offline if you want to type up a document or create a spreadsheet in flight. I save everything to Google Drive, and I have Chrome on my other computer so everything syncs. I add a favorite to one and it adds it to the other machine.

If you like using the Chrome browser and are mainly looking for something to get online with, this couldn't be any more perfect of a device.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The cons definitely outweigh the pros on these.

Pros: Cheap, light ...

Cons: Can't run ANY software (at least Linux, Mac have their own software that isn't cloud based), really only good for browsing the web, not full featured computers.

+1!

For about $50 more, you can get.. an actual laptop.

I looked at one, but kept hearing "Glorified tablet, glorified tablet" and thought.. Just can't see going that route, when a low-end nicely optioned one is $50 more.

It does work offline.

Google Drive(word processor, spreadsheet, powerpoint type app) and Gmail at least are available offline.

If you like to type a far superior choice over a tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back