Goodbye Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed over my wife's laptop from Windows 7 to Ubuntu 16.10LTS so there's officially no Windows machines in the house. I guess I do have a couple virtual boxes that's it. Can't say I'm overally impressed with 16.10 though but don't know if it's the difference in machines. 16.04 went on my old Presario A900 and everything worked. With the HP Pavilion DV5 seemed more of a struggle, just like it's owner! Had to install the printer through the terminal and few other pieces shouldn't of had to. I basically used the old HD from my laptop for the install so I can change back over at any time.. we'll see after a week.

On a side note regular HD's stink.. after using a SSD for a bit even the faster machines seem slow. Just need the dough for 3 SSD's!

E681CD50-6212-44A8-A432-5EFDB4F96D17_zpsxr0p35qj.jpg

To each his/her own...hope you like it. From v8.04 to v10.04 I dual-booted Ubuntu on 2 older desktops. I liked it, but I was never comfortable doing a clean install of the next version in a dual-boot environment and the upgrade process never seemed smooth enough to suit me. When Unity arrived my machines balked, and so I let it go. If I decide to give Ubuntu another go, I'll put a VM on my Win 10 computer and run it from there.

I always have some wacky driver or issue that keeps me from doing more than dual booting. Usually its wifi with poor throughput or fighting a display driver and is [censored] bent I have a different resolution screen than I do.

I dabble with Linux in an "I hate Microsoft mood" but always come back to Windows. Why? Applications and drivers. I lose so much functionality in printing and though LibreOffice/OpenOffice are "compatible" with MS Office, as an author, it would be difficult (or expensive) for me to work with open sourced documents to make then publication ready (mostly due to the formatting losses). Linux is still quite viable, but the world in more or less in bed with MS.

I feel like Microsoft has come around and is a real player again. I still prefer Linux servers and I do love my Macbook, but I am thinking of purchasing a new Windows machine to give it a shot again for the first time in, well, really, forever. I don't feel like Apple is trying real hard with macOS and its computers anymore.

I moved out i3 Lenovo ideapad win7 to ubuntu and no more blue screens of death. Something is wrong with computer but it no longer crashes and speed is decent with $40 ssd running Chrome for the kids.

16.10 is not LTS; move to 16.04 before it is too late!!!! lol

I love the unity interface btw, everything i need is 1 click away.

Last edited:
simple_gifts said:
Agreed, big time. The non-LTS releases are NOT for those who need to actually get stuff done. They're usually pretty stable but their purpose is to introduce new technologies and develop the next LTS.

Stay with the LTS releases and upgrade every 2 years. The LTS releases are built with the upgrade path in mind.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I love the unity interface btw, everything i need is 1 click away.

Huh I was wrong... Thinking I might convince her to get a SSD so will use 16.04 then!

They changed the way to invoke multiple instances of a program from version 16.04 to .10; It is more cumbersome and visually confusing in 16.10, so i went back to 16.04; It might have been a configuration issue, but i want to use my machine not screw with it, which is why i stopped using windows 16+ years ago.

I run Windows 10 plus Ubuntu plus Zorin on one machine with the bootloader giving me the choice of which OS to launch,lol. I like Windows 10 for many things and also the Linux versions for their flexibility etc. I can easily do some things with Ubuntu/Zorin that I would have a hard time doing with any Windows version.

I'm running Linux Mint 17.X on an old Toshiba laptop circa 2006, I like it but my system drag is pretty bad and it freezes so I think I'm installing LXLE which is light and based on Ubuntu...

There are still a few things I need Windows for unfortunately, otherwise I'd be running Linux Cinnamon on all my machines.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I'm running Linux Mint 17.X on an old Toshiba laptop circa 2006, I like it but my system drag is pretty bad and it freezes so I think I'm installing LXLE which is light and based on Ubuntu...

Before doing that I would seriously consider running the MATE version of Mint. LXDE (the Desktop Environment used in the extremely lightweight LXLE distro) is light and fast but is far from being feature-rich or polished. Your problem with GUI dragging may well be in that the Cinnamon version of Mint *requires* a lot of 3D-accelerated graphics horsepower. MATE is a full-featured proper desktop and does not. You may fare well with that.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Before doing that I would seriously consider running the MATE version of Mint. LXDE (the Desktop Environment used in the extremely lightweight LXLE distro) is light and fast but is far from being feature-rich or polished. Your problem with GUI dragging may well be in that the Cinnamon version of Mint *requires* a lot of 3D-accelerated graphics horsepower. MATE is a full-featured proper desktop and does not. You may fare well with that.

Thank you for your reply, I do suspect its the graphics hungry OS causing the lag. Mint isn't that bad and I can browse okay with a proper ad block software, but cutting down on the pretty but needless graphics would probably make this serviceable web browsing rig...

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
They changed the way to invoke multiple instances of a program from version 16.04 to .10; It is more cumbersome and visually confusing in 16.10, so i went back to 16.04; It might have been a configuration issue, but i want to use my machine not screw with it, which is why i stopped using windows 16+ years ago.

Went ahead and downgraded to the 16.04. Just setup Gnome this time not XCFE, odd how XCFE worked perfectly on mine but had a bunch of issues and slower on that laptop. The only quirks I need to look into is the Youtube fast forward and sometimes switches screens when typing, thinking the latter is a easy fix.

Tou may want to try Lubuntu for your old rig. Its good for older machines with modest hardware. I'm running version 14.10 in a 9 year old Pentium 2.66 Ghz 2GB RAM machine and no hiccups!

Originally Posted By: berniedd

Tou may want to try Lubuntu for your old rig. Its good for older machines with modest hardware. I'm running version 14.10 in a 9 year old Pentium 2.66 Ghz 2GB RAM machine and no hiccups!

Until the QT/LXDE transition is done, Xubuntu is probably a better choice as it will be better supported/more tested.

mint mate edition. turn off some of the grafix things, make sure all the correct drivers are installed. check the logs to see any errors.
or build the system form scratch LFS, that way it'll work as compiled for the PC it's runing on.

Originally Posted By: berniedd

Lubuntu installer gags on the encrypted LVM install; so if anyone wants that option (as they should IMHO) it won't be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back