Good Defrager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running Piriforms free defrager on my Vista Ultimate OS. Seems to run OK but, leaves many fragments when finished. Not sure if something is wrong or just the way it is. Is there a better, free defrager than the one I'm using? Ed

It's almost impossible to have 0% fragmentation since there are inevitably some files that are currently in use (by the OS) and hence cannot be defragged. There's nothing wrong with it.

Keep using Defraggler.

I use the same one. dparm is correct about never getting to 0%. CC Cleaner is also good for junk removal and registry cleaning, from the same outfit, Piriform.

I used to use defraggler but I now use auslogics disk defrag.

It's scheduled defrags seem to work more seamlessly and require fewer resources than defraggler.

In other words; Before with defraggler I could tell when defraggler was defragging. I can't tell when auslogics is defragging except for when its tray icon pops up.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly

It's scheduled defrags seem to work more seamlessly and require fewer resources than defraggler.

In other words; Before with defraggler I could tell when defraggler was defragging. I can't tell when auslogics is defragging except for when its tray icon pops up.

Just set Defraggler to run overnight when you aren't using the computer. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Just set Defraggler to run overnight when you aren't using the computer. Problem solved.

Listen to dparm, he knows what he's talking about and won't steer you wrong.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Running Piriforms free defrager on my Vista Ultimate OS. Seems to run OK but, leaves many fragments when finished. Not sure if something is wrong or just the way it is. Is there a better, free defrager than the one I'm using? Ed

Get a SSD and forget about defrag.

^ Also good advice. Massive performance gain for very little money ($100ish, depending on how much stuff you need to store).

I do a Shut-Down every night.
Don't want any invasive Target shoppers peeking in....
27.gif

Originally Posted By: DemoFly

But then it's going to wake my computer from sleep when I want it off, lol.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

I do a Shut-Down every night.
Don't want any invasive Target shoppers peeking in....
27.gif

So just don't shut it down one night a week.

It's almost impossible to have 0% fragmentation since there are inevitably some files that are currently in use (by the OS) and hence cannot be defragged. There's nothing wrong with it.

Keep using Defraggler.

Use mydefrag and forget about it. It is the easiest defragger to use and most effective. it has different algorithms based on disk types.

Does Vista on up not do this automatically in the background?

I haven't seen anyone ask about a defrag util in like 8 years on any other forums...

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Does Vista on up not do this automatically in the background?

I haven't seen anyone ask about a defrag util in like 8 years on any other forums...

Because the built-in defrag is lame.

I use the free Auslogics Defrag & optimize & love it. No issues whatsoever.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
thumbsup2.gif

Another vote for Auslogics

Auslogics, O&O, Piriform Defraggler, and UltraDefrag all work exceptionally well, and each has some things that others lack, like the ability to boot-time defrag and optimize MFT and other directories, user configurable file placement allocation, etc.

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
Originally Posted By: Turk
thumbsup2.gif

Another vote for Auslogics

I downloaded it and the entire defrag took under 90 seconds. That really surprised me.
A four month old Dell Windows 8 desktop BTW, used for web surfing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back