*Golden* GC 0W-30, GM 5.3L V8, 3780 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
10ppm iron in 6000 miles to 12ppm iron in 3800.
27ppm copper in 6000 miles to 20ppm copper in 3800
7ppm lead in 6000 miles to 7ppm lead in 3800

That driveclean must be a dog of an oil.

If I read the thread correctly the 6K run listed on the Blackstone form was green GC.

ppm/1K

Iron
Green - 1.67
Gold - 3.16

Copper
Green - 4.50
Gold - 5.26

Lead
Green - 1.17
Gold - 1.84

Even if you expect the iron to be high from running in the winter months, it still looks like the gold numbers are noticably higher. I'm sure having over 2X as much silicon didn't help...

The OCI at 22,651 miles was Green GC. The OCI at 30,275 was Golden GC.

Honestly, the jump in silicon doesn't bother me. Yeah, it's a little higher than the previous UOA but its not astronomical and I think I know what caused it. I expect it to drop next UOA.

I really don't know how much the Mobil 7500 is affecting the GC numbers. My goal was to offer up an early UOA on Golden GC so y'all could get an idea of what it looks like. We do need more UOA's on this stuff and I'm sure they're forthcoming.

quote:

Originally posted by bretfraz:
I really don't know how much the Mobil 7500 is affecting the GC numbers.

Wait...I thought the previous oil was Mobil Clean 5000 5W-30?
dunno.gif

The June 21, 10:10pm entry from Bretfraz corrected that statement:
"Dunno offhand but I mistyped the oil I used previously. It was Clean 7500, not 5000. Too late to edit my original post so I can't change it."

Christopher,
It's not just you. Castrol Syntec 0W30 is usually at the top end of 0W30, so it only has to thicken a SMALL amount to wind up 0W40.

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:
Christopher,
It's not just you. Castrol Syntec 0W30 is usually at the top end of 0W30, so it only has to thicken a SMALL amount to wind up 0W40.

Correct...I think it starts out only .3 cSt from being a 40wt.

Bret lookin good.

I see you are thinking of using LC or use LC currently?

Meh, either way PM me on DetailersClub (flux). I'd like to know your impressions of LC.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
... (2) bottles with a new label that says GC now meets MB 229.5.

This is what I have and just put into my car.

quote:

Originally posted by Budman:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
... (2) bottles with a new label that says GC now meets MB 229.5.

This is what I have and just put into my car.

Are you saying you found bottles with a new label that reads 229.5? Remember my post was saying what we need to look for, not what is. If you are telling me you found this spec on the bottle then it is time to be ---->
fruit.gif
fruit.gif

quote:

Are you saying you found bottles with a new label that reads 229.5? Remember my post was saying what we need to look for, not what is. If you are telling me you found this spec on the bottle then it is time to be ---->
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
Ugh, I'm sorry for the false alarm. Cruel, I know. But I double checked and it is 229.3 . Sorry.

Hi

I just got my 3800 UOA back. I am worried and confused.

My gold GC mirrors the above UOA on the 5300 V8 almost exactly.

Compare with his..these are mine:

Copper 18
Lead....5
Sodium...38
Potassium..2

I did a LIM and UIM gasket chamge in June, and flushed the engine with 10w-30 Haveline and then Supertech 10w-30 before the GC went in.

I used a little "the right stuff" gasket maker and RTV "red" sealer in the process.

Coolant is G-05.

Should I head over to GM and get some sealer tablets?

bruce381, SUS = Saybolt Universal Seconds......I'm not old though !

Ted, this labs overall accuracy is head and shoulders above most that charge the same price for a basic spectro. And you can actually get an honest answer from the techs and owners if you have a question !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back