Going insane here, dino better than syn?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

I've had better luck with dino oil than synthetic in my Buick. When I switched to synthetic I noticed much more cylinder wall scuffing and piston pins wanting to seize. Switched back to dino and have yet to have the problem again. I change oil every 500-1,000 miles anyway.

How did you notice all that stuff? How do piston pins want to seize? what about cylinder wall scuffing?

When the motor was pulled apart, I could barely rock the piston back and forth on the rod. The pins were just about completely siezed. The cylinders were scored and so were the piston skirts on the thrust surfaces. I tried glass beading the piston skirts which helped but did not eliminate it. I'm sure some of it came from pushing production pieces so hard but it did not happen with dino oil. FWIW I was using 20-50 dino and 15-50 synthetic.

I would give Amsoil a heads up on what you are being told. See what they have to say about it, just for yucks.

I agree with INDYMAC and unDummy. I think it's old habits die hard kinda thing.

Quote:

Since you say chevron products are available to you? might want to look at their boron based ESI gear oil. Thought to be as good or better (in function) than synthetics, but still a mineral.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/nafl/trucking/content/prodspecs.shtm#transmission

"Chevron Delo® Gear Lubricants ESI® SAE 80W-90, 85W-140
Chevron Delo Gear Lubricants ESI (formerly Chevron Delo Gear Lubricants) are premium grade, multipurpose gear lubricants. Approvals include MIL-PRF-2105E, API Service Classifications GL-4, GL-5 and MT-1, Mack GO-G, GO-H and GO-J (80W-90). These lubricants are the only non-synthetic gear oils approved by Eaton and Meritor (formerly Rockwell) for 750,000-mile extended warranty service in axles. Delo Gear Lubricants ESI rival the performance levels of synthetic gear lubricants and are a cost-effective alternative to synthetic fluids.

Tests prove that Chevron Delo Gear Lubricants ESI provide a wear protection film three to five times thicker than the conventional antiwear film. This patented anti-wear technology reduces friction to ensure superior gear protection and cooler operating temperatures. Chevron Delo Gear Lubricants ESI maintain thermal stability, contributing to improved fuel economy, longer gear and lubricant life as well as energy conservation. Use of these lubricants will not adversely affect seal materials.

Chevron Delo Gear Lubricants ESI are excellent for all types of automotive and industrial bearings and gears, particularly those operating under severe temperature and load conditions. They are recommended for use in both transmissions and axles of Class 8 trucks."

This is the same we use in all our heavy equipment, the 80w90 is what I have in my HP60 also. Glad to see it is condsidered a great quality mineral gear oil!!

Quote:

These lubricants are the only non-synthetic gear oils approved by Eaton and Meritor (formerly Rockwell) for 750,000-mile extended warranty service in axles.

Wow never realized that. I saw a crazy chevy pickup at an autoshow one time with Rockwell's running tires the size of my truck. If its good enough for those axles I'm sure it'll be good enough for the Currie
smile.gif

ANother supportive quote:

"SAN RAMON, CALIF., August 30, 2004 - Chevron Products Company, a leading provider of heavy-duty engine oils, lubricants and coolants, today announced that its Chevron Delo Gear Lubricant ESI 80W-90 is now the factory fill gear oil in all Volvo VN heavy-duty trucks requiring extended drain and extended component warranty. The Volvo VN is built by Volvo Trucks North America, Inc. Delo Gear Lubricant ESI, formulated with ISOSYN® technology, is a fleet field tested product that offers better iron wear and the same fuel economy as synthetics at lower cost. The product is fully compatible with both synthetic and mineral oil products and can be used to top-off gear oil reservoirs as well as during initial assembly."

Yep, don't think searching for a synthetic will be necessary, the stuff looks pretty good!

This says alot about newer additive technologies that can make up for lesser basestocks. It would be interesting to see how well a PAO or POE oil would perform with an equivalent borate ester or nitride additive packages, if compatible.

If ESI is available to you, by all means use it. Many choices that I recommend are made on availability.

I do wish that Amsoil included ESI in their gear oil testing comparision. I bet that it would've been an excellent performer when compared to some of the other brands.

Even though Chevron doesn't use the word synthetic, they do produce Isosyn group II/II+/III base stocks. The ESI could be a percentage of synthetic(III) even if they don't want to market it that way. It has also been mentioned that there are different performance levels of different basestocks. If Isosyn is a high performance group II oil, and another brand is low performing full synthetic group III, which one would you want??? So, not having the label synthetic isn't necesarily a bad thing.

I get it from a commercial supplier, by the 5 gal pale. On Chevron's site you can send an email requesting the closest source for the product.

We've had absolutely great success using Chevron lubricants for several years. Just rescently we started with Chevron synthetics, but just in machines that are left outside to help with cold start. All else is mineral based, and has worked great. I would of probly used Chevron lubricants in my Jeep if they had a complete line of products for the diffs, tranny, transfer case, engine.

This is interesting because I'm in the process of installing Motive Gears in my truck and Motive recommends Torco SGO which is a Full Synthetic. I was told that the Torco offers better protection than Dino. Go figure??? Motive markets it in their catalog but it states the synthetic fluid is made by Torco.

Originally Posted By: Burbanite
This is interesting because I'm in the process of installing Motive Gears in my truck and Motive recommends Torco SGO which is a Full Synthetic. I was told that the Torco offers better protection than Dino. Go figure??? Motive markets it in their catalog but it states the synthetic fluid is made by Torco.

And if you look on Curries website their branded gear oil is Torco RGO mineral gear oil.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: Burbanite

And if you look on Curries website their branded gear oil is Torco RGO mineral gear oil.

I wonder where Currie gets his Ring & Pinions? He doesn't have his own brand does he? Well, this still doesn't answer, at least to me, which type will work better, Syn or Dino. I know there are shops up here that swear by Dino and others do the same with Synthetic. Oh well, I'll keep on searching and hopefully before I get my gears installed there will be an answer. I'm still leaning toward a Group IV or higher synthetic because I still believe that the Syn is better and since the manufacturer of the gears I'm using thinks the same, I'll most likely go that route.

Saying dino is better than syn goes against common sense. I could see if the dino is good vs a crummy syn.

I think that is what muddies the water. Crummy syn could be worse of than a good dino gear lube. Just saying synthetic does not mean quality....................

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Saying dino is better than syn goes against common sense. I could see if the dino is good vs a crummy syn.

I think that is what muddies the water. Crummy syn could be worse of than a good dino gear lube. Just saying synthetic does not mean quality....................

I agree, there probably is crummy Syn out there and maybe that's why Currie likes Dino. I don't know, but at least for me, I would only look at a quality Synthetic otherwise why bother spending the extra money for it. It's too bad there wasn't a simple answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back