Going drag racing today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
You know if you put some Ford brand air in you tire's the trap speed will go up don't you
tongue.gif

You have ET and trap speed confused
lol.gif

When it comes to racing motorsports nothing much confuses me ......I posted that in jest as in he would make more HP and the result would be higher MPH

Pat

good luck with the weather , this time of year where I live the forcast can change in as little a 6 hours
smile.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

You know if you put some Ford brand air in you tire's the trap speed will go up don't you
tongue.gif

You have ET and trap speed confused
lol.gif

When it comes to racing motorsports nothing much confuses me ......I posted that in jest as in he would make more HP and the result would be higher MPH

Pat

Ford air in the tires would make for less hp and a higher ET.

The weather was excellent for racing today, not perfect, but definitely very good. Temperature was 53 to 54F all afternoon, barometric pressure at 30.3" and humidity at between 47-52%. I'm not sure what that works out to be in terms of density altitude, but the actual altitude of this track is 600ft, so I'm going to assume that with weather like we had, our density altitude was close to sea level if not slightly below.

We had some nice winds to cool down my engine between runs, but for some reason my car just didn't want to co-operate. This seems to happen to me once or twice a year, that for no explicable reason, the car drops off 2-3 mph in trap speeds. Then the next time out, it comes back again as if nothing was wrong. Since the weather was so good today, the drop in mph puzzles me. My best run of the day was the first one, at 13.754 at only 98.57 mph, on a nice 1.95 60ft. I figure my trap speeds today should've been about 101. If it had pulled 101, my ET would've been in the 13.55 range like I predicted.

On my second run the mph did pick up slightly, to 99.28, and I ran 13.762 but only cut a 2.01 60ft.

Later in the day I made three more runs but did not cool the motor down, and the ET suffered big time, those three runs were all the 14s. It didn't help that traction wasn't as good either.

It's possible my plugs might be responsible for the power loss, I just wish it weren't so difficult to change them.

I probably won't run again until my car club's first drag event of the season which I believe is May 29th or so. I doubt weather will be this cool though, by then it'll probably be in the 70s.

It sucks having a car this slow, I miss running low 12s like I did in my supercharged Mustang almost ten years ago. I've been going progressively slower since then. The car after my Mustang ran 12.68 at 110.6 (98 Formula 6 speed) and now here I am running only 13.6s and 13.7s.
frown.gif

How's the tranny? Any slippage? After many years of torturing my old '88 Trans Am, I now believe in saving the equipment for those with a big mouth and the track days. Constant abuse only degrades performance and increases operating cost. You do abuse your car a lot and that isn't good for your tranny.
How old are the spark plugs and wires? Do you run fuel power in your car?

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
How's the tranny? Any slippage? After many years of torturing my old '88 Trans Am, I now believe in saving the equipment for those with a big mouth and the track days. Constant abuse only degrades performance and increases operating cost. You do abuse your car a lot and that isn't good for your tranny.
How old are the spark plugs and wires? Do you run fuel power in your car?

My tranny is in excellent shape, no slippage at all. I was running a full bottle of Neutra in the tank yesterday.

The plugs and wires have 40k on them, so they aren't too old really, platinums should last 50-60k without the performance dropping (unless my mechanical problems last week killed them early). But at the same time, the engine feels like it's running stronger now, after driving home and doing lots of full throttle runs. So maybe it just needed the carbon blown out of it.
dunno.gif
I wish I could go to the track again next weekend but my wife would kill me!
itschy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Man....I want to hit the track so bad it hurts!!! But the rain just won't stop!!! AAAAGGGHHH
banghead.gif
!!!

I'm lucky we had such good weather yesterday, because today's weather here sucks!! It's windy, rainy and only 37F! Definitely not a nice day at all! I was grumpy enough when I woke up, now I have to deal with this too.
mad.gif

Patman,
Just a thought or two on the MPH issue. Is the weight the same as before. Gas tank level, driver weight (was it a lazy winter) lol, stuff in the car?? Also was there a head wind. You mentioned a nice breeze. Even a quartering head wind can be significant. One last item. Are you sure the track did not make any changes like the trap marker distance?

Glad you got out. I know you where pining for it...

I went out 1st round last night.
frown.gif
Forgot to pull the Glide into 1st after my normal 2nd gear burn out. Staged hit the T brake and than just rolled out and went RED... Got distracted. 1st duck run this year ... last night was the 6th NHRA ET points race of the year for us.
grin.gif

here's my local track.

The weight was much less than before actually, as the last time out at the track I not only had a full tank of gas, but I also had 35lbs of washer fluid in the trunk (since it was getting close to winter, I had the extra weight back there) This time I had those removed, plus only ran a 1/2 tank of gas. I gained only 3 pounds this winter myself. (but I'm working on it!)
smile.gif

The wind was not a headwind at all, it was from the side, then switched to a tailwind for a bit. My friend Dave was running his usual trap speeds too, and his car is deadly consistent (he bracket races every week)

I'm now getting convinced that my plugs might've been degraded with all the cranking I did on my engine a few weeks ago when it would not start (burnt coil wire)

Have you made any changes over the winter? New tires perhaps? Changed oil type? What was the difference in temps between your run last year and this year? Dirty air filter?

quote:

Have you made any changes over the winter? New tires perhaps? Changed oil type? What was the difference in temps between your run last year and this year? Dirty air filter?

I'm running the same tires, same type of oil and oil filter, same air filter (it was new last year and isn't even close to dirty yet) and the weather when I ran 13.68 at 100.4 was 37F, 51% humidity and 30.6" barometric pressure, versus 54F, 48% humidity and 30.3" this weekend. Looking closer at that, this weekend's weather was not as good as that, but not really enough to account for me only running 98.5 to 99.3 mph trap speeds, when I've also run over 100mph traps in warmer weather last year.

I will say this though. There have been a few times in the last few years where I will show up at the track and my car doesn't seem to trap very well, for no explainable reason, then I go out again a few weeks later and the performance returns with no changes. I can literally feel the engine not pulling as hard in 3rd gear. It is almost like it needs the carbon blown out of it and the performance gets better the more I drive it hard. It needs the old Italian tuneup!
grin.gif

So even if the plugs might be in need of replacing, I wonder if my car would run better traps the next time out even if I made no changes. I'm hoping for some cool/dry weather in late May the next time I go out. My friend who changes my plugs probably won't have time to tackle the job anytime soon since he's getting married in a few weeks.

[ April 26, 2004, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Do you allways use the same gas?

When I go racing I put in Sunoco 94, but on the street I run Shell 91. I wonder if I should just stick with the Shell when I race, as even though the octane is lower, I probably wouldn't get any spark retard on the cooler race days anyhow, especially when I start the runs with the engine well below 150F anyways.

After driving my car hard a lot over the last few days since I left the track, I'm now convinced that my drop in trap speeds isn't something to be concerned about and I'm gonna chalk it up to my car simply feeling under the weather that day.
smile.gif
Perhaps I got some bad gas or the stars weren't aligned right, who knows. But the engine is pulling strongly now and I bet if I ran it again in similar weather I'd see my trap speeds back closer to 100 again. It does kinda suck that I'm getting excited to see 100.0 mph trap speeds when 9 years ago I was running as fast as 114.5 mph trap speeds with my supercharged Mustang. Hopefully a couple of years after I get my 97 or 98 Corvette I'll be able to afford to get some work done to it and get it running in the mid to low 12s at about 108-110mph or so. I'd be happy with that, as that would be a pretty stout daily driver.

My f-body club is having it's first bracket race of the season this Saturday, and the weather looks very good for a good ET. It's forecast to be cold overnight before the event (high 30s!) and the afternoon high is only going to be 65F. It'll be my first time running since my dyno tune, and I'm expecting to run 13.55 at 101 at 65F. If it's cooler in the morning on my first run, I might even slip into the 13.4s. I fully expect 13.3s in the cold fall weather, but that's months away.

Our car club is sponsored by Mobil 1, so it's very possible I could be getting some free M1 5w30 this weekend if I go a few rounds! (which I usually do)

It was an interesting day to say the least! I drove 110 miles to the track, and then they said lightning struck the track earlier that week and they couldn't get the 1/4 mile timers to work, so they were only going to run 1/8th mile! My car club decided to cancel their bracket event.

For me, 1/8th mile is not racing, so I drove 60 miles to the other dragstrip (the one I prefer anyways) I found out later in the day that 10min after I left, they got one lane working for the full quarter mile.
pat.gif
But the 90min drive to the other track was fun, I got to see some nice towns I've never seen before.

I was disappointed with my car though, even with a super long cooldown and good traction, I could only muster a 13.77 at 99.4, with a 2.00 60ft. Temp was 61F, humidity was 46% and the barometer was 30.1". When I correct my times to standard weather, it does show me that my dyno tune improved my performance, but only by 6 one hundreths and 0.3 mph. It still feels way stronger than that though, which is puzzling. My car is funny though, some days at the track it just doesn't want to perform, so perhaps yesterday was like that.

I'll be getting my plugs changed this summer, so hopefully I'll be able to run much stronger in the fall when the air is cooler. I'm not as optimistic about running 13.3s now though.
frown.gif

I did see tons of super fast cars though. They were getting ready for the start of the OSCA racing season next week. TONS of cars running 9.90s or quicker! The quickest door slammer I saw ran 6.70s at 211mph!!

[ May 30, 2004, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

update: I decided it was better to compare my runs from yesterday to my runs from a month ago, not from last fall's runs.

After doing that, I can see I picked up 1.5mph.

But I did lose mph from the fall though, so I bet it's those old spark plugs. They have 42k on them now. I wish I could change them myself, these LT1s are a bugger to work on! GM dealers charge 8 hours labor to do the plugs!
shocked.gif

You should get an LT1 Caprice, much easier to work on, you can see the front and sides of the motor.
tongue.gif

Your times seem pretty good though, at the track near me some of the LS1 cars have trouble finding 13s.

quote:

Originally posted by DJ:
You should get an LT1 Caprice, much easier to work on, you can see the front and sides of the motor.
tongue.gif

Your times seem pretty good though, at the track near me some of the LS1 cars have trouble finding 13s.

I can out ET a lot of novice LS1 drivers in my car club. Bone stock 6 speed LS1 drivers seem to have trouble getting into the 13s. Automatics are quicker than me though, one guy in my club has run as quick as 13.3 at 105, completely bone stock and with the 2.73 gears too!

I'm dying to get an LS1 Corvette though, even a 2.73 geared one can pull 13.1s to 13.2s bone stock. A strong running 3.15 geared automatic can pull 12.9s in cold fall air! It only takes a couple of minor tweaks to get an LS1 Vette into the 12s consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back