GM's total investment in USA since 7/09?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM has invested almost 3 Billion dollars in plant improvements, new tooling and re alignment of plant resources since emerging from bk in July 2009...

"The additional work would bring to almost $2.9 billion the amount of new U.S. investment and 7,417 jobs that GM has created or retained in 20 U.S. plants since emerging from bankruptcy in July 2009. Employees to fill these positions will be recalled from layoff in accordance with the United Auto Workers-GM National Labor agreement."...

And FTR, this total doesnt even include the nearly half billion they just invested in Spring Hill and the 1/4 billion they just invested in Baltimore.

Good to see them re-doing their plants for making better cars and trucks. Then again, that's what they should be doing.

On the road to recovery is a sweet thing. The new products are terrific and the LOAN money is being paid back.

So even though GM invested half a billion in a mexican plant, they are STILL INVESTING huge amounts of money in their US production operations. Good job GM, I say.

You guys who have nothing better to add than a simple minded, "bailout" or "tax dollars" comment, really need to get a clue.

"Through debt repayment, interest income and GM's initial public stock offering last year, taxpayers got back $23.1 billion of nearly $49.5 billion the government put into the nation's largest automaker. The Treasury Department still holds 500 million shares of GM, about 33% of the automaker's stock worth about $19 billion at GM's current share price."

Every day the stock goes up, you and I get closer to being fully repaid.

Oh, and they sunk another 2 Billion into the VEBA and retiree fund earlier this month as well...

http://www.freep.com/article/20110115/BU....-pension-plans

No offensive intended. Just saying that when you boast about all the money GM is investing, in all honesty, its not their own money that came from earnings or issuing stock. It came from a below market loan from the government. Its not like they have a choice to use these funds to increase dividends or put to a non-car use. I am not weighing judgement whether it was a good investment or decision on the part of society, but if you want to express pride, it should be that our government funded this. Once they pay back the loan and are using their own discretionary money to invest in the business, then I will be impressed.

Originally Posted By: Burt
No offensive intended. Just saying that when you boast about all the money GM is investing, in all honesty, its not their own money that came from earnings or issuing stock. It came from a below market loan from the government. Its not like they have a choice to use these funds to increase dividends or put to a non-car use. I am not weighing judgement whether it was a good investment or decision on the part of society, but if you want to express pride, it should be that our government funded this. Once they pay back the loan and are using their own discretionary money to invest in the business, then I will be impressed.

+1 Exactly

I hope GM recovers just as much as everyone else. My Dad and Grandfather both worked for Chevy. I work for Ford now because, well Ford was hiring at the time, GM was not.

It's nice to see the investments in US plants. I agree, like when positive things were happening with Ford (until recently) the press/media does not really report the positive things about GM. You know how it goes.

Not bashing GM but rather reminding of a couple concerns I have that cause me to be reserved with my optimism about GM:

1. When Mulally became head of Ford the media said "What does a jet guy know about building cars?" Well, Mulally knew manufacturing, which is manufacturing no matter what you are building. However, the last head and current head of GM are from the Telecommunications sector, as are some members placed on The Board. That is a service industry, not manufacturing. Having read about how the board questioned Engineers about why so much had to be spent on new engine development, and why the company couldn't just have someone else make the engines for them really has me concerned that these guys do not understand manufacturing or the auto industry. I am waiting and seeing.

2. GM paid back a loan with money from another loan and claimed victory. That is scary.

3. GM went through bankruptcy and quick leadership change on a large scale. Mostly service industry people are in charge. They still owe tens of billions in loan repayment. Most of their new product has to be developed from scratch whereas Ford has European designs that are being brought to the US. With all this, GM stock IPO's at double Ford stock at the time. I feel that is a sham for people who have money to make money. The regular guy was basically squeezed out on getting IPO stock at a price more reflective of GM's actual situation. I understand getting as much for the stock as possible and the benefit of it, but in the way stocks really work, was it worth $33?

I hope GM recovers fully (being Federally income tax free until they have earned $45 billion really helps) because of what it means for competition in the industry, jobs, and tax revenue (employees) for the communities they do business in. However, I am afraid that all of the "rosiness" about them is a front. I really hope I am wrong, but I just get a bad feeling about this. I think we will know in a couple years if this is for real, and I hope it is. I do not have a lot of confidence in Dan Akerson after reading about his history.

Steve

Originally Posted By: R2d2

+1 Exactly

How much profit did GM make in the 2010 calender year? Was that profit sufficient to cover these investments?

Half the debt has already been paid back, the co-mingling of funds argument will stop when?

Quote:
Half the debt has already been paid back, the co-mingling of funds argument will stop when?

Such a thing, paying one loan with another loan from the same entity, is usually considered quite wrong. It's like paying on one credit card with another credit card from the same bank. Was repayment really made by the credit card holder? No.

When GM did it Whitacre claimed that GM had repaid that loan, in full, and early, with the require interest, as if it came out of GM's pocket. If your son or daughter did this would you commend them?

I will probably be using this as an example to my grandkids about what NOT to do with their finances.

Steve

Steve,

That is not what we are discussing. The bulk of the loan was repaid with the IPO and the stock earnings. The repayment you are refering to was a 5 billion dollar payment directly to the fed to pay off the CASH loan. They are two seperate issues.

The cash loan was payed back out of reserve cash funds that at the time could/should be considered federal dollars. But the main point is they paid it back because they didnt see a need for that big of cash reserves. The huge remainder of the loan was secured by the stock equity swap...they cant be discussed in the same manner because they were secured and due to be paid back in entirely different manners.

Originally Posted By: 1001hobbies

1. When Mulally became head of Ford the media said "What does a jet guy know about building cars?" Well, Mulally knew manufacturing, which is manufacturing no matter what you are building. However, the last head and current head of GM are from the Telecommunications sector, as are some members placed on The Board. That is a service industry, not manufacturing. Having read about how the board questioned Engineers about why so much had to be spent on new engine development, and why the company couldn't just have someone else make the engines for them really has me concerned that these guys do not understand manufacturing or the auto industry. I am waiting and seeing.

I can "see" your point and I even share the feeling that a "car guy" should run the business. HOWEVER - business is business no matter if you are selling cars or diapers. The "car stuff" gets handled by folks down the ladder - like myself - at the plant level, engineering level, and such. In other words, there are a lot more people on the team than just a the CEO and he makes his decisions based on our feedback to him.

GM is in the process of making a remarkable turn around and I see firsthand the changes in our management and ways of doing business that the general public does not see. It truly is not business as usual anymore within GM. It will take time for the general public to realize this...and even longer for some folks on this site.

I will also add that Ed Whitacre did an outstanding job! I met him personally when he toured my plant. He is a down to earth guy with a proven business track record. The best thing that happened to GM was the removal of Rick "my way or the highway" Wagoner and his cronies. THEY ruined the business more than anythng else.

Last edited:
Quote:

That worries me too. The reason I think that is, is because telecommunications providers, many of them, do not build the infrastructure. They buy existing lines, or rent "space" on them. They must think it works the same way with cars.

I was one of GMs biggest critics here, but I'm highly encouraged that I've been proven wrong. GM is getting it's act together much faster then I ever thought they would. I wish them success in the future!

This was posted in Automotive News yesterday:

GM signs $900 million deal to export cars, parts to China

Quote:
DETROIT -- General Motors Co. and its Shanghai General Motors joint venture signed a two-year deal today worth $900 million that would allow the Detroit automaker to export Cadillac, Buick and Chevrolet vehicles and components to China.

The vehicle exports are valued at $500 million and the component exports are valued at $400 million, the automaker said.

Your tax dollars at work.

How much did the bailout cost you? Do you think the government was going to lower your taxes without the bailout?

How much would it have cost you if the government didn't do the bailout?

Originally Posted By: LTVibe
This was posted in Automotive News yesterday:

GM signs $900 million deal to export cars, parts to China

Quote:
DETROIT -- General Motors Co. and its Shanghai General Motors joint venture signed a two-year deal today worth $900 million that would allow the Detroit automaker to export Cadillac, Buick and Chevrolet vehicles and components to China.

The vehicle exports are valued at $500 million and the component exports are valued at $400 million, the automaker said.

I have no issue with this! If the parts are produced here and shipped there.... Then that's something the Japanese have been doing to use for decades. But we've never been able to do to them. Selling cars produced here in the Chinese market seems like a good move financially.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS

Every day the stock goes up, you and I get closer to being fully repaid.

How about paying back the suppliers, stockholders, and retirees that got screwed when GM stock version 1.0 was declared worthless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back