GM tops in torque~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

IMO there is no advantage to DOHC/Twin Turbos, etc., in a TRUCK, I want grunt to pull my cargo not high rpm hp to impress my friends. As a fleet owner I have learned to value simplicity over technical sophistication.

Boy I dunno... Those two hair dryers puffing away on the V6 Ford make some pretty impressive numbers. If you believe the Ford chart, she's making good numbers from 1500 rpm up to about 5k and you could set a level on the curve between 2k and 4.5k, where it's making 400+ lbs. But I do hear you on KISS for fleet operation!

Note that these new GM offerings are all DI and we have yet to see what that will be like. The GM V8's have had VVT for some time now and it works well to flatten the torque curve yet keep the high rpm performance. IMO there is no advantage to DOHC/Twin Turbos, etc., in a TRUCK, I want grunt to pull my cargo not high rpm hp to impress my friends. As a fleet owner I have learned to value simplicity over technical sophistication. People who keep a truck a couple years and trade will not care as much, but we expect 200-250k minimum before any major services are required.

Nothing against the GM trucks - they are good trucks.

And I get the idea on KISS but would with that principal I suppose you have no Diesels in your fleet then? Those are more sophisticated than a modern TT/DI gas engine.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Note that these new GM offerings are all DI and we have yet to see what that will be like. The GM V8's have had VVT for some time now and it works well to flatten the torque curve yet keep the high rpm performance. IMO there is no advantage to DOHC/Twin Turbos, etc., in a TRUCK, I want grunt to pull my cargo not high rpm hp to impress my friends. As a fleet owner I have learned to value simplicity over technical sophistication. People who keep a truck a couple years and trade will not care as much, but we expect 200-250k minimum before any major services are required.

Nothing against the GM trucks - they are good trucks.

And I get the idea on KISS but would with that principal I suppose you have no Diesels in your fleet then? Those are more sophisticated than a modern TT/DI gas engine.

I own an 09 Dmax but it is my tow vehicle for a big 5th wheel setup.

Our fleet vans need engine heat for our equipment. A diesel cannot supply enough at the lightly loaded rpms we run at. Diesel versions are made for third world export but they must have a supplemental heat source like an oil fired burner apparatus. Too much added complexity without a return.

If that EB were 400 pounds lighter and a bit more proven for longevity my Wife would already be driving it!

HP & Torque values without any specific RPMs? Irrelevant for more than a [censored] contest.

Start throwing some mean effective pressures out there with those figures including their RPM values and you'll have a better idea of that engine's performance.

Plus - no talk of compression ratios? Higher compression ratios used to make more power can end up costing the owner more in running costs because of the increase in fuel costs ($0.20+/gallon more for premium over regular typically). They also increase motor costs because stronger components need to be used.

When I was in school, I did a couple research projects on marine diesel engines under one of the professors. It's amazing how many factors that effect engine design are simply overlooked in these types of simplified conversations that just throw HP and Torque values around. It's also amazing how much more potential there is in internal combustion engines.... only ~30-40% of the energy from your fuel actually goes to making power. Also funny to think that a lot of emissions components, such as EGR valves, lower fuel economy a decent bit.

First and second line - agreed. But PEAK torque is how every major mfgr all over the world does it. So there it is in a form that the average buyer can relate to.

Third line - these are all regular fuel engines. These days we run up to 13 to 1 compression on REGULAR fuel. These are DI motors.

Last line - there are many engines these days that have no EGR valves. The one in my sig, for instance. There are many more.

The power values of todays engines show that modern engines with all emissions hardware intact make MUCH MORE power than anything ever did before per cubic inch displacement. And they do it on much less fuel.

All mfg's try to take advantage of the slightest gains over a competitor whether it's 1 HP,2 ft lbs of torque ,a half inch of headroom etc. As said it's a silly game of trying to get the upper hand when in the real world it doesn't matter a bit. Buy whatever you like because in the long run it's who you get the best deal from....and that way you can have the dealers fighting over you for your business! I've been a G.M. guy all my life but I really like the look of the new Dodge pickups. Or is it the Ram now? LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back