GM: Grape Flavored 75W-90 Full Syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
No way the GM lube is better that the ones I listed. NO WAY.

Perhaps factory fills were inferior to the premium aftermarket equivalents at one point in time, but this is no longer the case. Why are you so unwilling to accept the fact that the aftermarket equivalent is not always superior?

Quote:

Yep! As I have what you are calling a 'locker' in my new 2008 Silverado with a 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio with Automatic Locking Differential.

They don't state a drain interval, but do sugguest it is long life. Suggestions?

I would change out the factory gear lube at first oil change, approximately 5,000 miles. Personally I would use a better lubricant like one of the high end synthetics, Amsoil, Mobil 1, Red Line, Royal Purple.

Agree to swap it out for a premium aftermarket. I swapped my 07 NBS( same G80 w/ 3.73 as your 08 )out at 10K and used Royal Purple MaxGear 75W-90( used that in front diff as well btw ). Worked great.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
No way the GM lube is better that the ones I listed. NO WAY.

Perhaps factory fills were inferior to the premium aftermarket equivalents at one point in time, but this is no longer the case. Why are you so unwilling to accept the fact that the aftermarket equivalent is not always superior?

Generally speaking aftermarket premium fluids are much better than OE fill. Car mfg's use some pretty cheap quality [censored] even today. That may not apply as much to this particular fluid( ie; 75W-90 GM synthetic )BUT when you look at the retail for the GM fluid at approx $25 vs say $9 for Royal Purple MaxGear it is a no brainer to me.

Personally, I had no faith in the factory fill gear l u b e( that same 75W-90 GM stuff )in my 07 NBS Silverado so I swapped it out for RP. GM OE fluids have never impressed me in any form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: NHSilverado
Generally speaking aftermarket premium fluids are much better than OE fill. Car mfg's use some pretty cheap quality [censored] even today. That may not apply as much to this particular fluid( ie; 75W-90 GM synthetic )BUT when you look at the retail for the GM fluid at approx $25 vs say $9 for Royal Purple MaxGear it is a no brainer to me.

And how are you certain that the aftermarket fluids are better?

The OEM fluids go through a very rigorous testing program that NO aftermarket fluid goes through. This involves dyno testing, fleet testing and teardowns, testing that I doubt any aftermarket company has the resources to perform (to the same extent). All of the testing done by OEMs is conducted under very severe driving conditions that is unlikely to be seen by most customers.

NHSilverado said:
The OEM fluids go through a very rigorous testing program that NO aftermarket fluid goes through. This involves dyno testing, fleet testing and teardowns, testing that I doubt any aftermarket company has the resources to perform (to the same extent). All of the testing done by OEMs is conducted under very severe driving conditions that is unlikely to be seen by most customers.

You are correct. It is not a trivial undertaking.

Originally Posted By: NHSilverado

And how are you certain that the aftermarket fluids are better?

Yup, only the mfg's spend any money on R&D and only their fluids are any good. Thanks for clearing that up for all of us. Amsoil, RP, Redline, etc... it's all junk. We all need to swap back to the overpriced OE fluids that are SOOO much better.
smirk2.gif

BTW - I have this really cool bridge for sale in NY are you interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
My initial response to Mike_Dup1 was just to say that I felt the GM Petro Canada made 75w-90 syn. was just as 'high end' as the others he listed.

I agree with The Critic and Whitewolf in that this fluid in particular (rear axle) has undergone testing that no other fluid as been subjected to and thus again can be considered 'high end' and stand side by side if not perhaps in front of those brands mentioned if for no other reason in that it has been tested rigorously and choosen for use by GM.

GM is not shy in terms of it's use of M1 motor oil, I'm sure they could easily do the same for their rear axle requirements. Why don't they? Perhaps because they require more than a one size fits all fluid.

Finally given the change interval and the capacity, I do not believe they are getting rich from rear axle fluid sales, so again why not just stuff Royal Purple in there? IMO it is because they have in fact opted to use a better fluid for THEIR purposes.

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
My initial response to Mike_Dup1 was just to say that I felt the GM Petro Canada made 75w-90 syn. was just as 'high end' as the others he listed.

I agree with The Critic and Whitewolf in that this fluid in particular (rear axle) has undergone testing that no other fluid as been subjected to and thus again can be considered 'high end' and stand side by side if not perhaps in front of those brands mentioned if for no other reason in that it has been tested rigorously and choosen for use by GM.

GM is not shy in terms of it's use of M1 motor oil, I'm sure they could easily do the same for their rear axle requirements. Why don't they? Perhaps because they require more than a one size fits all fluid.

Finally given the change interval and the capacity, I do not believe they are getting rich from rear axle fluid sales, so again why not just stuff Royal Purple in there? IMO it is because they have in fact opted to use a better fluid for THEIR purposes.

GM updated the grape juice with the DexronLS fluid for CAFE efficiency. They have done a lot of re-design of rear axle assemblies to make them more efficient. But the point made that the testing of factory fill is extensive is very TRUE. I know this as a fact. And Petro Canada makes some pretty good juice. Especially the DexVI ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back