zinc 783 /856
barium 0 /0

SUS vis 55.5
cST vis 8.92
flash 385
fuel antifrz 0
water 0
insol 0.2

I had two free oil changes from a dealer so I had them change both my 05 Bonne GXP 4.6L V8 and my 08 Impala SS LS4 5.3L V8 at the same time. Dealer said oil was GM Goodwrench 5W-30. The GXP used no oil the dipstick showed just a hair below filled. But my Impala SS with 38K miles, has been using increasingly more oil and this last OCI it used 3 quarts over 4270 miles. My GXP is my replacement for the Impala SS and the SS will be sold.

per Blackstone
We're not sure what kind of oil GM is using theses days , but it looks like it uses both titanium and sodium as additives. given the great wear numbers here, the oil - whatever it is - is working just fine for your Bonneville. Universal averges show normal wear after about 4,600 miles on the oil. Your oil run wasn't quite as long though metals all read extremely low. this oil is still in great shape, the vis was in the 5w-30 range, and no fuel, water,coolant, or dirt was found. this oil is so clean, you could have sold it to your neighbors! Run 5,000 miles next time.

Man i have sooo many questions from that. First silicon 4 am i reading that right? Thats nutz. second they put a v-8 in that thing. Thats cool. Been a long time sinse they had a v-8.

Copper is pretty low for a gm v-8 and iron is under 5 thats really cool. I know 4400 miles is not too long of an oci but imagine if you did more multiplying your wear numbers by 3 would still be around normal or less for a gm v-8.

What filter for the oil and air are you using??

If i were you i would keep doing what you are. I cant see a tbn but im sure its still high so realisticly 7500 should be fine if you were to go the long oci route.

You would be safe staying around 5000 and not worrying at all if you go a few hundred past.

Good job with keeping your car running top notch. I cant believe there are no break in materials let in it. at 30,000 alot of cars still have lots in them.

Oil and air Filters were AC Delco. The GXP was dealer maintained and owned by a retired couple who bought it new, so Iam the second owner. It is a fairly rare vehicle, as only some 4,1xx were built in 05. It has the 4.6L northstar which I like better than my GM LS4.

Part of the reason for the low numbers I think, are due to the large sump of 7.5 quarts of oil with filter, and they are mostly highway miles.

Never noticed any start-up noise or thickening with the GM OIl.

My Impala SS is being sold to an older "car person" that I know at the gun club, and he knows that it uses oil, but says it does not bother him as he has several European autos that use oil and he is used to it. He just wants the car for a DD for a few years to save the miles on his other cars.

regards,

That is Mobil-made oil (Super)...you can tell by the titanium in it.

I'm impressed to hear about a Northstar that doersn't use oil, and a 5.3 that does - isn't it usually the other way around?

Actually found out (after researching local dealers and repair shops, and talking to actual owners) that the GM 5.3L with DOD (displacement on demand) later called AFM (active fuel management) seems to promote oil useage and GM has a long TSB about the problem. I thought mine was good after a 9,000 mile OCI but then found out my son added two qts during the trip and did not tell me, and it was down at least .5 Qt. then the next two OCI's it was using a quart every 1400 miles or so. All the shops I talked to said this was common and then I started asking owners of the LS4 about oil consumption and almost all said it was a problem or a concern and many had been back to the dealers because of it.

asked the same questions regarding the 4.6L New Northstars (post 2003) and the shops told me it was rare to find one that used excessive oil, after all the re-designs and fixes and even the 2000 year models have been good in that regard according to the dealers and shops and looking at their data bases of service records for the N-stars.

The GXP handles better gets almost the same mileage but burns regular fuel so I am happy. So far no problems and no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back