GM engineering at its best...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Originally Posted By: HM12460
LOL, you GM guys make me laugh. My 2007 Ranger has 96,000 miles and to this day NOTHING, not one thing has failed.

you make me laugh. I drive a GM 4.3 S10 with 312k.

I own a factory freak with over 400k miles. Not one drip, no oil consumption and unreal mileage in a 9200 pound van every single day since 04! But it's not a typical Savana.

But everyone here is forgetting that anecdotal evidence, as in one car you owned or heard of, is hardly representative of an entire marque's production.

Buy enough cars and trucks and you'll either get real lucky or buy a lemon. Period.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Originally Posted By: HM12460
LOL, you GM guys make me laugh. My 2007 Ranger has 96,000 miles and to this day NOTHING, not one thing has failed.

you make me laugh. I drive a GM 4.3 S10 with 312k.

I'm gonna catch ya John! Good deal with your 4.3, they are pretty much bullet proof.

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I just replaced the blower resistor 7 pin plug in my Silverado.

GM really should have recalled these since they all go and its a manufacturing defect, ie they used to small of a pin connector for the voltage.

But what makes it worse is the dealer rapes you for the new plug, a part that should cost $10 is $100. What makes it even worse is they were to lazy to put the proper color wires on the replacement pigtail...they just used white and black.

In hindsight I wish I got lucky and it was one of the bad ones and torched the truck.

A friend of mine in NY got a recall notice on his 04 GMC about the same thing. I had mine done last year, so be patient and there might be some type of reimbusement coming?

Nah I missed it, they do change them under warranty but the truck is an 05 so any warranty is long expired.

Next thing I'm waiting to go is the fuel pump. From 04 to 05 GM eliminated the external fuel filter. Now you just have one in the tank so when it clogs you have to drop the tank and replace it along with the fuel pump.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: expat
"

Could you not just get something from Radio Shack or whatever?
No. The plastic plug that plugs into the blower resister is shaped a special way. Usually has 7 or more wires and when the thing melts it ruins the plug. Often you cant pull it out of the resister after it has melted.

GM uses a connection thas good for abouit 5 Amps in a 30 Amp Circut.

Yes that's exactly what happened, the number 4 and 7 connector overloaded and melted, took one heck of an effort to get it apart.

On the new plug GM up sized the wiring to 10 from what looks like 14, but the pins in the plug are still quite small so we will see.

Afaik they don't make an aftermarket version of this plug, its AC Delco or nothing. I have seen them online though for $75 so I probably overpaid a bit but I have limited time and can't wait for parts to get shipped to me. Also that plug should not even cost $75, its an overgrown $10 trailer connector.

Well I think Ford was still having problems as late as 2005 or so, my father's 05 Ford Five Hundred had the AC compressor fail (main pulley shaft seal) at around 70k or so last year, the cost to replace the failed compressor is 1200$+,this is a travesty on a car with such low years and miles today....I think the scroll compressor is a faulty design, the real they fail so often, Ford engineering at its finest. Not a big fan of GM either of course.

Lots of people with Ford that use this same unit are complaining too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: George7941
My Mexican made Sierra has been pretty reliable so far, at 49k miles. One ignition module and two thermostats have failed, but nothing else.

I haven't had any problems with the blower motor, and I have the manual controls.

Nah its not a bad truck, I have the same one as you.

Mine has 82k on it and I work it pretty hard, seems to do ok.

How is your intake manifold doing? On mine the joint is a bit dirty but its not burning coolant yet so I'm just watching it.

I only paid $7k for it almost 3 years ago now, so it doesn't owe me anything. I kind of want to see how long it will go, will probably turn it over 200k.

What year is the truck again? Why would it burn coolant? If it is a 99 and up 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0, it has a dry intake. No coolant or oil touch it. It should only have coolant lines going to the TB and a crossover between the heads in the back.
Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Nah its not a bad truck, I have the same one as you.

Mine has 82k on it and I work it pretty hard, seems to do ok.

How is your intake manifold doing? On mine the joint is a bit dirty but its not burning coolant yet so I'm just watching it.

I only paid $7k for it almost 3 years ago now, so it doesn't owe me anything. I kind of want to see how long it will go, will probably turn it over 200k.

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with the intake manifold.

My coolant level hasn't dropped at all. I will be changing out the coolant soon, truck is still on the factory fill.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
What year is the truck again? Why would it burn coolant? If it is a 99 and up 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0, it has a dry intake. No coolant or oil touch it. It should only have coolant lines going to the TB and a crossover between the heads in the back.
Maybe I misunderstood your post.

2005, but I have the 4.3 and GM still hasn't figure out how to do intake manifold gaskets.

The joint between the intake and the block on mine doesn't look so hot, but so far knock on wood the coolant level is holding so I'm just going to ignore it. Maybe it will never get any worse.

Do these kind of bashing threads ever lead to anyone changing their minds? I'll never understand the religious-like devotion or hatred towards any product.

It reminds me of the arguments we used to have in 3rd grade about how "my Dad can beat up your Dad", that were generally based in reality but full of so many gross exaggerations that it always turned into a ridiculous comparison of superhero-like accomplishments. I don't think any 3rd grader was ever convinced that his friend's Dad would beat up his own Dad in a fight. I know, my Dad is way tougher because he was in the Army and fought in Vietnam, where he killed 50 communists by himself, and is the only one strong enough to run a furnace down at the mill. Your Dad was only in the Navy and sells cars...

Brand X is at it again. My [relative/co-worker/friend] had a Brand X that was complete junk and needed [expensive repair] within [low number] miles. I only buy Brand Y since they're so great. I routinely get [insanely high number] miles with Brand Y with only preventive maintenance.

Ahhhh...same old threads. Funny thing, you all are talking about older model years. GM has improved tremendously as have Ford and Chrysler. All makes are gonna have problems, including engineering issues that somehow got buy...even Toyota and Nissan, etc. These are consumer goods just like a washing machine and you will have atleast 1 or 2 problems per the "problems per 100" formula.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Ahhhh...same old threads. Funny thing, you all are talking about older model years. GM has improved tremendously as have Ford and Chrysler. All makes are gonna have problems, including engineering issues that somehow got buy...even Toyota and Nissan, etc. These are consumer goods just like a washing machine and you will have atleast 1 or 2 problems per the "problems per 100" formula.

While what you say is true in regards to "all makes are gonna have problems . . . " if brand X seems to CONSISTENTLY give you more problems than brands Y and Z it makes a person a little nervous about trusting brand "X" again! In my case brand "X" needed many more repairs than brand "Y" and "Z" COMBINED!

In Jan. 2005 I wrote a 30+K check to GM for one of their vehicles. Not only did it have multiple problems, but it was a pain in the (we all know where) to get them fixed, if GM would fix them at all.
Six years and 70,000 miles later I sold it for 5K. That was the best offer I got - most were in the 3K range!
The optimist in me would love to believe that GM has made a miraculous improvement after almost going bankrupt! Call me skeptical if you wish but I just find it hard to believe.

Last edited:
If EVERY brand (yes, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, you-name-it) is as bad as just ONE PERSON says it is, NONE of them would be in business.

Lots of companies live today just because they offer cheap or cheaper products..I can name quite a few.
Most products today are made to make a profit...other concerns as customer satisfaction,quality,reputation really dont matter.
I will continue to buy old Gm products,built before 72,but all the remaining brands here can just close up shop.
I'm not as dumb as they think.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

While what you say is true in regards to "all makes are gonna have problems . . . " if brand X seems to CONSISTENTLY give you more problems than brands Y and Z it makes a person a little nervous about trusting brand "X" again! In my case brand "X" needed many more repairs than brand "Y" and "Z" COMBINED!

In Jan. 2005 I wrote a 30+K check to GM for one of their vehicles. Not only did it have multiple problems, but it was a pain in the (we all know where) to get them fixed, if GM would fix them at all.
Six years and 70,000 miles later I sold it for 5K. That was the best offer I got - most were in the 3K range!
The optimist in me would love to believe that GM has made a miraculous improvement after almost going bankrupt! Call me skeptical if you wish but I just find it hard to believe.

I can see your point based on your experience. It is people like you that are the hardest challenges to regain as customers. It will take time, but it is already happening. The new products are terrific. You do realize that more than 75% of the cars/trucks GM made in 2005 are now either completely new or eliminated and replaced with better?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If EVERY brand (yes, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, you-name-it) is as bad as just ONE PERSON says it is, NONE of them would be in business.

Best quote yet.

I was calling GM out on a [censored] part on my truck, I have no issues with the truck otherwise if you bother to read my post; and rather like it. I have no issues with little problems, I just think GM has a very poor policy of making changes when they see systematic problems. That plug should have been up sized in later years and it wasn't. Having owned other vehicles I have seen companies take a much more proactive approach in fixing things like this.

Also mine is a 2005 which isn't to old, my friend has a 2011 which is the same truck except with the new body on it. But underneath its the same frame, trans, rear end, and motor. You could swap body's between chassis without any issues.

So I wonder if finally GM managed to fix a few things on his truck? Well lets see the plug I just changes looks the same, and we will see if he has to do his intake manifold gaskets too.

I mean they have only made the 4.3 for what 30 years? One day they will learn how to make an intake manifold that doesn't leak.

Last edited:
But what makes it worse is the dealer rapes you for the new plug, a part that should cost $10 is $100.

lol. I suppose you don't get to Mercedes dealers very often. Rock Auto and Sparky probably had better prices. GM hasn't got much control over their dealers, seeing as how they are independent businesses.

I've always had good luck with GM electrical systems even as far back as my 73 LeSabre. The last GM product I had was a 1992 lesabre and I got rid of it in 2003 when I bought my first non GM car. Power everything; everything worked. Perhaps GM can loan some of those headlight engineers to VW for a few weeks...

Last edited:
If nothing else, everything electrical in the 97 cavalier I had worked when I got rid of it (oil pump lunched the engine), minus the alternator going at 129k miles (Very common for the diodes to fail around that mileage on that particular alternator)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back