gm 350 diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zaedock, they share parts with the "rocket 350" these parts include from what i gather are oil pump, headbolt pattern and bolts, and oil pan. i hear that the valve covers and exhust manifold too.

i may add a high pressure and volume pump since it will be off to replace copper gasket during reseal. just extra insurance .

ken

The head bolts are TTY and not the same as the Rocket.

The head bolt pattern and other items you listed are shared through many of the Olds engines, including the Rocket, as this engine was created using the same tooling.

Ran the other day long enough to burp air out of cooling and fuel systems.
topped of coolant and did a quick ounce over. started right up. sounds to be a good runner. no smoke after idle stabilized.
Ran 10-15minutes and had to leave for a appointment i had.

i will get back with the progress.

ken

I had 2 of these monstrosities.
A 1983 Deltas 88 and a 1985 Buick wagon.
Transmission on both cars failed and needed rebuilding.
Glow plugs burned out and would get stuck in the heads and the tips break off.
The really awful aluminum rocker arm retainers, they wore out fast.
The heavy oil leaks, these engines leaked lots of engine oil and diesel's engine oil is always nastier and blacker and harder to clean up.

Personally never seen such [censored] things that GM did as they did with those engines.

The first one starter had constant problems, wore out and underpowered. It was just a gas engine starter bolted on. Sucked down the twin batteries quickly.
Engine a major oil burner, eventually compression dropped so low it was too hard to start. And injection pump failures. Serious trouble is you change the filter or let it run out of fuel. I think both had issues with water in the fuel, small amounts will destroy the injection system. I can remember taking the cover off the pumps and seeing rusted parts.

The 1985 used an electric pump and gear reduction starter, so an improvement. The 1985 broke head bolts, constantly pumped combustion air into the water jackets. I pulled heads and had them flattened. It still broke head bolts. Finally snapped the crank in half on the highway. It was so funny to see the starter crank the motor and the front pulley did not turn.

Only reason I bought them was they got better MPG and I was interested in diesels.
GM hoodwinked everyone, the cars had a $1000 higher price than the gas ones, and the resale was like scrap value.

Originally Posted By: sdowney717
I had 2 of these monstrosities.
A 1983 Deltas 88 and a 1985 Buick wagon.
Transmission on both cars failed and needed rebuilding.
Glow plugs burned out and would get stuck in the heads and the tips break off.
The really awful aluminum rocker arm retainers, they wore out fast.
The heavy oil leaks, these engines leaked lots of engine oil and diesel's engine oil is always nastier and blacker and harder to clean up.

Personally never seen such [censored] things that GM did as they did with those engines.

The first one starter had constant problems, wore out and underpowered. It was just a gas engine starter bolted on. Sucked down the twin batteries quickly.
Engine a major oil burner, eventually compression dropped so low it was too hard to start. And injection pump failures. Serious trouble is you change the filter or let it run out of fuel. I think both had issues with water in the fuel, small amounts will destroy the injection system. I can remember taking the cover off the pumps and seeing rusted parts.

The 1985 used an electric pump and gear reduction starter, so an improvement. The 1985 broke head bolts, constantly pumped combustion air into the water jackets. I pulled heads and had them flattened. It still broke head bolts. Finally snapped the crank in half on the highway. It was so funny to see the starter crank the motor and the front pulley did not turn.

Only reason I bought them was they got better MPG and I was interested in diesels.
GM hoodwinked everyone, the cars had a $1000 higher price than the gas ones, and the resale was like scrap value.
I think GM really used the 350 as a light-duty diesel "test", with the customer paying the price. The crank snapping problem was NEVER eliminated until recent history when Peninsular started making a forged crank for the 6.2/6.5-seen many a low mileage 6.5 TD with one (along with cracked blocks & heads, blown HG due to the weak bolts & poor coolant flow).

ARP headbolts, full gaskets, oilpan, glowplugs, bearings, high volume and pressure oil pump, and headers.
ran on test stand after assembling. ran sweat.
i will be placing on frame in a few hours. the body is out getting paint.

ken

I think this is a cool project! As somebody mentioned earlier in the thread, if your engine block shares dimensions with the Rocket 350, then a 4 speed manual transmission that was offered in the olds cutlasses of that era, is certainly another transmission option besides the TH400. . I dont know if that interests you at all, but it'd sure be fun to have a old school 4 speed muncie hooked to it.
I would think that motor must have a very unique sound breathing thru headers. Maybe you could take a short video of it with a cel phone & put it on youtube? Or post a link to pics maybe. I am curious how this project will turn out. Sounds like you are on the right path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back