GM 22" refillable wiper blades

Here in WNY, I go through wipers every 6 months. Driving 25k+ yearly and between the grit/salt brine and Thruway gunk in the winter time and the dust from dirt and farm roads in summer, I tear them up. My go-to has been Trico Ice as they were cheap (~$6 a blade), but they never lasted. Dad's 2022 Silverado came through with the factory OE blades (refillable) and we just swapped them out. That is almost a year and a half. Impressive.

They are a 22"J-Hook wiper blade that can accept refills. Seems like 2014 and up GM truck. They had two part numbers -- Either 84578275 or 22985978, I have ordered both and they both look identical. Blades are about $16-17 on RockAuto. What is also nice is they have this little clasp/door to secure the blade. No fighting with the stupid J-hook clip to release the blades. They say Japan, maybe they're a Denso or NWB?

Refills are under $6 -- part number: 22985978.

Figured I'd post as I know wipers come up sometimes and I've always had great luck (from my Hondas and their OE blades) with refillable wipers. Put a set on the Tahoe and Suburban and they have been working great. They look better too... better than the Michelin/Bosch/TRICO logo staring at me with every wipe.

Hoping I get a lot longer longevity out of them. Plus the refills are cheap. Enjoy some pics!

1714020958992.jpg

1714020970841.jpg

1714020979110.jpg

1714020988145.jpg

I lived in WNY for 10 years. Cheap doesn’t last. Bosch Icon. I get 2-3 years out of them. Try not to use them as ice scrapers. That should help.
Absolutely, never have used them on ice except light snow

Southern WNY/southern tier is much different from with dirt roads

They look like NWBs - the codes on the hook attachment are a tip-off. How much are refills? Toyota, if you can match the equivalent can get you refills.
They’re about $5-6 for a refill via the GM part number. I ordered some. Interestingly, the GM refill comes with the metal strips also.

Thanks for mentioning the Toyota thing too. I ended up finding 16” blades from the right side front of a 2018 Corolla. Now I can have the same style for my rear wiper.

Toyota also looks like they sell just the rubber.

I don’t know why we don’t just make these universal across the board and make the refills easier to source/sell. Seems to me that this style performs better, lasts longer and has less waste.

Maybe I’m just oblivious and there is a generic a NWB/Denso blade you can buy somewhere?

Once I get the 16” blades from the local Toyota dealer tomorrow, if they fit nice and wipe well, I’ll post up the part number and the refill part number. Might help others with GMT800/2000-2006 GM SUV with rear 16” J-Hook wiper.

Back