GM 2.8/3.1 v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
They didn't start eating intake gaskets until 1996 ish.

I agree; it started with the SFI 3100 engines circa 1994. Which pre-dates the introduction of Dexcool by the way.

I racked up 318,000 miles on my 3.1 until some 18-year-old kid slammed into me at 40 MPH. Still ran like new otherwise; no leaks or oil use.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Aside from intake manifold gaskets, we never had any issues with GM 2.8/3.1/3.4s, or the 4spd autos they were coupled to.

I remember in the late 1980's being amazed at the power and rip-snorting exhaust note of GM's FWD, multi-port injected 2.8/3.1s of the time period. So much different than the gutless RWD, carbureted 3.8's (and whatnot) I was used to.

Agreed. Other than being a bit noisy with piston slap, those 60* engines are pretty solid.

Also agree on the exhaust note- I remember growing up, my aunt had a Lumina Euro with the 3.1 (I think) that had a surprisingly raspy and loud exhaust. Also those 2.8 Camaros.

GM engines did have a great exhaust note in the late 80's early 90's. I remember the Quad 4s really sounded great.

I think the earlier 2.8s suffered from some carburetor issues, but the fuel injected ones were pretty much bulletproof. I remember seeing a lot of neglected, high mileage ones bumping around.

What a great point on the exhaust note of those 2.8s! Sounded pretty mean, nice snarl. I wish they still made something that sounded like that! The 3.4 Camaros completely lost it. It was funny to hear something rev up all mean and loud, turn around and see a 2.8L beretta or something! Great memories....

I've had an old Fiero with the 2.8 for many years as a summer driver. It's been fine to 100k miles=ignition module and pick up and the oil sender and oil drips is it other than normal maintenance. The oil pan gasket has been leaking for a few years and the longer it sits, the bigger the various puddles are. Don't get this as you'd think it would stop at some point as the drain plug is fine.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
GM engines did have a great exhaust note in the late 80's early 90's. I remember the Quad 4s really sounded great.

I think the earlier 2.8s suffered from some carburetor issues, but the fuel injected ones were pretty much bulletproof. I remember seeing a lot of neglected, high mileage ones bumping around.

They sounded and ran really well with long glasspacks! I had a ciera in 86 with a 2.8 mpfi. It would run. It was a bit faster than the 3.3 in my current 93 olds.

I totally agree that the GM 2.8 had and awesome snarl to it for a small V-6!

My best-friends mom bought a 1987 Buick Century with the FI 2.8 in it when it was about 4 years old. It was her daily driver for the next 6 years; but my buddy learned to drive on it, and actually ended up driving it more than she did!

As can be imagined, she drove it very sedately; he beat the ever-loving snot out of it every chance he got. Even after he got his own cars, when he had problems with his, he borrowed that Century. When his mom got rid of it for a newer car when it was 10, he actually bought it and used it as his DD for another 2 years.

At the end it had about 125k miles on it, and both the tranny and engine were shot. The tranny slipped horribly, and the engine wouldn't hold oil pressure at hot idle...the oil light would come on and it would run rough. A top off with 10W-40 or 20W-50 would fix it for a while.

Both my buddy and I miss that car. We spent a lot of time cruising around in it and raising teenage driving [censored] with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back