Glucose Test Strips

Are glucose test strips all the same or are they brand specific according the your reader?

My wife is a type 1 diabetic, they are brand specific. She has been wearing a CGM since last year which has virtually replaced the need for a meter. But she still checks her glucose using test stripes on the rare occasion.

I'll text my brother about brand specific since he's a WM pharmacy manager.

He said some of the older test strips are available in secondary brands and some test strips are the same sold under different names for the web order diabetic supply retailers.

He said out of pocket customers like the Relion meters and strips 100 for $18.77. He did state the Relion Prime is older and might be phased out eventually. But there are newer Relion Preimer and a Relion Platinum meters and test strips are 100 for $18.77 regardless of the meter.

He said if you buy Relion, get it at Walmart or else it's resold and marked up anywhere else.

Amazon is decent for supplies

True Metrix Air is rock solid and the interface with my iPhone solid.

Medicare Advantage paid for the meter, and some supplies, I buy extras (strips and sticks) on Amazon.

And yes the strips are specific to machine, lancets can work across various plungers.

He said some of the older test strips are available in secondary brands and some test strips are the same sold under different names for the web order diabetic supply retailers.

He said out of pocket customers like the Relion meters and strips 100 for $18.77. He did state the Relion Prime is older and might be phased out eventually. But there are newer Relion Preimer and a Relion Platinum meters and test strips are 100 for $18.77 regardless of the meter.

He said if you buy Relion, get it at Walmart or else it's resold and marked up anywhere else.
Thank you for checking. My meter is fairly new and the brand is Metene which I ordered online from Walmart. I don't see those strips on their web site.

Last edited:
Thank you for checking. My meter is fairly new and the brand is Metene which I ordered online from Walmart. I don't see those strips on their web site.
Metene definitely uses different strips than True Metrix, but I see both on Amazon.

When you buy them, read the reviews, people definitely will say if they work or not kind of deal. You are smart to ask, some folks just assume and duh, then complain about incompatibility.

Get your doc to write a scrip. The strips will be whatever your co-pay for a drug is. If you ever need a new meter it can be done the same way.

I had a meter that got discontinued so I had him write the prescription for a meter, lances, and strips. It was 30$ at CVS for what Walmart wanted nearly a hundred for.

It's the same business model as printers. Some brands practically give away the meter to get the patient into buying expensive strips.

My insurance Covers a program Called Livongo, which is part of Teladoc health...
once signed up, they send you a Connected Smart meter, and unlimited free Strips and Lancets. order them right from the meter.
hasn't cost me an additional cent out of pocket yet. built into my employer's insurance package.
only problems i've had so far are just with connectivity for the meter... there's no Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi option, it's cellular, and Runs on T-Mobile's Network....which where i live is Spotty at best.

diabetic supply retailers, can any one recommend an online retailer
I use US Med for diabetic supplies. Medicare and supplemental policy, through US Med device and supplies cost me nothing. They send reminders for refills. Call them and get set up.

Anyone who uses insulin should be able to get insurance to pay for a CGM.

People with prediabetes or diabetes but don't use insulin can get a discount for a CGM.

Dexcom is coming out with a new CGM in April for people who want to monitor their glucose level but don't qualify for a CGM that insurance will pay for.

Back