Glock 41 and 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Why anyone would want to carry any gun with such small capacity is beyond me.

I've always been comfortable with a 442.

We wear cargo shorts, a thin t-shirt, and sandals 11 months out of the year down here. Large concealment garments don't work here.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

We wear cargo shorts, a thin t-shirt, and sandals 11 months out of the year down here. Large concealment garments don't work here.

It all depends on how you carry. I carry every single day of the year. So, obviously shorts and tees all summer. I carry IWB at 11 o'clock and nobody is the wiser. I hook my holster on the top of my pants and NOT over my belt. Putting the holster over the belt keeps the gun up too high. When it's hooked to the top of my pants it sinks down lower for a snug fit. I Rotate between Glock 23,19 and 3 Taurus. I've seen guys (right handed) carrying at 3 or 4 o'clock and if their shirt is too tight you can see the bottom of the grip printing. My brother in law is a perfect example of this. But that's not a good place to carry in tee shirt weather. Or, somebody has a beer gut and can't carry in the front. I always carry as much gun as I can comfortably and at least one extra mag. I find that the front carry allows me to move freely and not give away that I have anything underneath. Of course I'm not wearing a skin tight wife beater tucked in. As long as my shirt comes down to just past where my belt is visible I'm good. I also have a slim build too.

I understand people wanting to carry such small guns but if you ever need it the first thing you'll think is, I wish I had more gun. What if you have multiple attackers assaulting you or your family? Do you want 6-7 rounds of .380 or 14 rounds of .40? This is just the way I look at it.

I have been a glock hater for a long time, mainly because I feel they are grossly overrated and I've shot a gen 4 22 enough times to know i am not a fan of them. But when I decided to check out the mini 42, it melted like a stick of butter in my hands. I am SERIOUSLY considering this gun as a summer pocket carry. Wish it were in 9mm though. Anyone hear of anything of that sort coming down the pike?

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I have been a glock hater for a long time, mainly because I feel they are grossly overrated and I've shot a gen 4 22 enough times to know i am not a fan of them. But when I decided to check out the mini 42, it melted like a stick of butter in my hands. I am SERIOUSLY considering this gun as a summer pocket carry. Wish it were in 9mm though. Anyone hear of anything of that sort coming down the pike?
What was overrated? Glocks are reliable, durable, not very expensive, and fairly compact for the ammo capacity/caliber.

Glock will have a 9mm coming in a couple years after everyone buys a .380.

Last edited:
Glocks are not overrated. They essentially revolutionized the pistol market and created an entirely new paradigm. Now the design is somewhat aged given it came out 30 years ago, and many polymer pistols on the market have added to, and some would say, improved upon Gaston Glocks design. But to say they are underrated is a falsity.

Glock this, glock that, who gives a [censored]?

H&K released the first polymer handgun. Glock just honed in on the design. What I hate about Glocks is not the way they shoot or the way they feel - it mostly generates from people like yourselves that think Glock is the best gun out there. It's not. There is no "best" gun - it is all subjective. They are primitive in function which is why they work but they are not the most revolutionary gun on the market. Companies like Beretta and Springfield are making strides in science and technology with their guns yet Glock just slaps the same (although reliable) design on every model.

Plus the fan boys annoy me to no end which further fans my hate for Glock. If I ever do buy one it will be for a specific purpose, not because I have converted to thinking they are the greatest gun on the planet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that Robenstein is a Glock fanboy, I just suspect that he's giving credit where credit is due.

Quote:
Companies like Beretta and Springfield are making strides in science and technology with their guns yet Glock just slaps the same (although reliable) design on every model
Please explain these strides? I'm unaware of them. Molding plastic in a slightly different shape isn't a stride. It's funny you bring Springfield Armory into this conversation. You musta been unaware that the XD was called the HS2000 before SA bought the design and doubled the price.

I am not a fanboy of Glock at all. When I went to get a polymer pistol I shot one and it was okay, but ended up with a Steyr M9 instead. I prefered having a pistol that had a safety option so I would not get a case of "clock leg" if something snagged the trigger when I re-holstered.

H&K did come out with the first polymer framed gun, but Glock came out with the first one that was a success. Sort of like how the Germans invented the assault rifle with the StG44 but the Russians set the tone with the AK47. Or how Henry Ford did not invent the automobile, he just made it a success.

Glock is not a walk on water pistol. I think it is probably best suited for military and law enforcement duty versus personal protection. I respect the design for its reliability and durability, but am not a fan of the ergonomics. My personal sidearms have been Steyrs, Walthers, and Berettas instead with a Ruger 357 thrown in.

If I had to pick a poly gun this size, it would be a Walther PPS

Glock is what I would prefer for personal protection hands down : Reliable and I don't want to fumble with thinking about slide safeties if I need to respond fast to a threat .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Glock is what I would prefer for personal protection hands down : Reliable and I don't want to fumble with thinking about slide safeties if I need to respond fast to a threat .

This is why most law enforcement carry glock, but the priciple applies to all striker fired non external safety pistols. It's simplicity of design and function is beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back