Global Supertanker (747 firefighting aircraft operator) shutting down operations

Largest firefighting aircraft in the world. Their predecessor (Evergreen International Aviation) had an interesting history, including work for the CIA, as well as two 747 firefighting conversions. They went bankrupt and the new company acquired all assets. Interesting business model just operating one aircraft. It came to California a few times to help control some wildland fires.

Here’s a photo of the underside.

5b3635e19281c.image.jpg

I really liked the 747 tanker idea. The 747 is my favorite plane ever, then the 777 next.

Always felt better when the 747 was working fires around here. Planes should be in the air as soon as possible following lightening storms dropping on small smokes before they grow into a mess.

I am sure some one (hopefully) will buy the tanker and put it into service, 747s are low priced .

Sounds like their biggest customer was the USDA, which apparently has some heavily bureaucratic requirements. If it could be purchased cheap in a (pun intended) fire sale, it might be possible to justify the purchase price even without that one big customer.

The President of GlobalSupertanker was interviewed and says that it meets all approvals for contracting agencies, but the current costs (primarily shipping) make it cost prohibitive to operate. He was formerly at CALFIRE. He was specifically asked if CALFIRE was interested in buying the plane and he said no.

Just a slight correction. The President of GlobalTanker said that the current demand for shipping is making it difficult given the demand for freighters is high. It sounds that more likely than not this is going to be sold and converted to a freighter.

Sounds like their biggest customer was the USDA, which apparently has some heavily bureaucratic requirements. If it could be purchased cheap in a (pun intended) fire sale, it might be possible to justify the purchase price even without that one big customer.
Yes it was. Also, they knew those demands and other planes meet them.

Just a slight correction. The President of GlobalTanker said that the current demand for shipping is making it difficult given the demand for freighters is high. It sounds that more likely than not this is going to be sold and converted to a freighter.
Without being active here, they can’t leverage capabilities elsewhere. In Haifa it was useless as fire entered city and more damage would be caused by it than good it would do. CL 415’s proved much more useful. I think they missed on plane they used. DC 10’a are certified and still doing job.

A DC 10 tanker saved an entire town where I live.

Bad fire season. On the ground personnel stretched thin. Fire broke out and was rapidly approaching town. Fire up the DC 10. Problem solved.

Unless I missed something, I don't think Juan is retired just yet.
He was out for prostate surgery for a long time till he could get certified to fly again, and then covid hit and (85% sure ) he took the pushed retirement $$ they were pushing. But with how hard up they are needing pilots now, I wonder if he may go back.

Back