Getting an electric shock every morning from the water coming out of bathroom faucet.

Happens pretty much every morning this winter that after I turn the water on, as soon as I touch the water with a finger, I get zapped. I'm not talking 110v electrocution shock, but like static electricity. Why? I'm not grounded while standing on a bathroom rug over a tile floor.

Are you zapped only once per occurrence? This would substantiate it being "static electricity". One and done.

You'd be surprised how well things we think would insulate don't.

If some conductor in a metallic conduit has cut insulation, juice can bleed through to anywhere. Old, internally frayed BX lying against a water pipe, etc.

Winter is associated with dryer air. You classically build up a static charge whilst shuffling your feet along your carpeting.
The discharge might be FROM you TO the cold water piping....at which time you would be grounded.

Happens pretty much every morning this winter that after I turn the water on, as soon as I touch the water with a finger, I get zapped. I'm not talking 110v electrocution shock, but like static electricity. Why? I'm not grounded while standing on a bathroom rug over a tile floor.
You answered why in your last sentence.

I don't get it. If electricity doesn't have a path to the ground when I'm standing on an insulator, why am I getting shocked?

Because you developed a charge while walking across the floor to your sink, and that charge wants to find a path to ground. In times of higher humidity, it would have found a path to ground before you reached the sink.

It's not that the water has a charge--you do.

The culprit is you. Shuffling around on carpeting much? Hold a key or any other conductive item in your hand and touch it to the faucet before touching the faucet with your bare hand. That way the charge you carry will dissipate without a micro burn to your skin. The same goes for metal handrails, door knobs, car door handles, etc. On the plus side, a little electric shock may wake you up properly in the morning.

Your faucet is ground. You are carrying a positive charge, most likely picked up from “shuffling” your feet on the carpet in front of the sink.

Had a service call to make..25 years ago..for a leaking tub faucet. About 5 minutes into it i had touched the tub drain. Got a pretty good shock..not 120 but enough. Called the customer up to the 2nd floor to have a chat. She told me it was static and they could not take a bath cause it felt funny. She said they take showers fine as long as no one touches the metal drain assy with their toes. Went the got my meter and there was 62 volts to the drain assy. I told her to call electrician please...do not wait and I will be calling to see ***.

So..an old knob and tube wire was strung through the underside of the tub...used as a chase way. The wire had worn through the insulation and was touching the porcelain free underside. Plastic drain so..no ground path to the waste line.

Because you developed a charge while walking across the floor to your sink, and that charge wants to find a path to ground. In times of higher humidity, it would have found a path to ground before you reached the sink.

It's not that the water has a charge--you do.
Ok that makes sense.

Moving water can create an electrical potential. Thunderstorms are a great example. But there are other ways ahown on YouTube where electrical potential is demonstrated.

Ground your pipes well and this is less likely to happen. A PEX section of pipe can insulate the downstream part of the system.

Back