Get virus = get new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
still a trojan registry entry. Set to delete on reboot, run scan again, same registry entry shows up. Ran again, same result.

Then either the entry isn't actually being deleted or yet another (infected) registry entry is replacing it. Either way, there's an underlying file(s) that's performing the actions, and you need to find that file(s) and delete it(them), which may be more difficult than it reads.

If you find an oddly-named file with a time stamp that corresponds to the infection occurrence, and it cannot be deleted, you've found one of the infected files.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
still a trojan registry entry. Set to delete on reboot, run scan again, same registry entry shows up. Ran again, same result.

Then either the entry isn't actually being deleted or yet another (infected) registry entry is replacing it. Either way, there's an underlying file(s) that's performing the actions, and you need to find that file(s) and delete it(them), which may be more difficult than it reads.

If you find an oddly-named file with a time stamp that corresponds to the infection occurrence, and it cannot be deleted, you've found one of the infected files.

I won't waste anymore time on it. New computer will be here Friday. In the meantime, I'm using my laptop.

Not a bad to just buy new after 5+ years.....BUT, honestly.....just format the drive, and start fresh.....

Or get an HDD enclosure
wink.gif
And pull the HDD out of the old PC and use it as an "external" drive
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I know everybody has their fav anti virus program but I have to tell you that I just bought Norton Internet Security 2013 from Amazon for $24 today, good for 3 computers. You can buy it as a download (130 Megs) straight from Amazon or have it shipped via a CD.

I do like all the free stuff out there but when it comes to my computers security I like to pay for the best rated software that is out there since I do taxes, buy stuff with my credit card, banking, etc. on my PC

While Norton is a good product it has too big of a footprint. ESET is much smaller and just as good at finding viruses.

X2. I stopped using Norton entirely a few years ago because it slowed my computer to a crawl. It may be better these days, but since it basically rendered my computer too slow to use, I didn't see the point of it.

I paid for McAfee for a year or two, but just wasn't really impressed, plus it caused constant problems with my internet connection. Went to Avast free and never had a problem again, and no viruses or conflicts with other programs. Screen died on that computer, so I got another that came with Kaspersky. I though Kaspersky was good, but didn't want to pay for it when the license ran out, so I went back to Avast again. No complaints.

I have yet to find a pay anti-virus that works better than Avast.

I use my computer for business, keep everything up to date, but still believe a complete backup of the computer is worth its weight in gold. JMO

MSE is much better in recent versions. They have the money to invest and the knowledge of their own OS, so its come a long way. What I like about it is something called behavioral heuristics. This allows for much better performance over time vs. static proxy-type screening. You can test that yourself via task manager. Watch the task manager over a few days after install, you will see it uses less and less resources with each reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back