Georgia bans 71 oils from 29 brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 15SilvyEcotec
Originally Posted By: ToadU
This is not awesome. Why do we need the government running our lives? Consumers should have the right in the free market to buy what they want, when they want and how they want it. This is no difference than the large soda bans. Creep creep creep. Next thing they will regular ate how much toilet paper you can use per session. It's coming. Soon they might even regulate how often your allows to change you oil to help the "environment".

My wife has a doctorate but knows nothing of motor oil, what if she needed oil and purchased some of this. The PQIA has helped push for this and it is good. If you have a good organization saying something needs to be done and the government does something is that not them listening to what we say or want?

Uh, most educated people are inquisitive. She'd find out what's acceptable or simply ask you since you're a BITOGer.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
This is not awesome. Why do we need the government running our lives? Consumers should have the right in the free market to buy what they want, when they want and how they want it. This is no difference than the large soda bans. Creep creep creep. Next thing they will regular ate how much toilet paper you can use per session. It's coming. Soon they might even regulate how often your allows to change you oil to help the "environment".

Go buy some Chinese dog food for your beloved pooch. Let us know how the lack of government oversight works out for you.

But I do agree with you on the soda issue....thing is, you are confusing two different issues.

Both items are [censored].

One is just for your car, the other is your body.

Only difference is that oil isnt funded with food stamps though.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I would never buy any of those oils unless emergency anyways. Stick with a known reputable brand.

Bad oils seems to almost always be the el-cheapo ones from tiny blenders/distributors, some guy making it in his basement or an abandoned warehouse.
"MaxiGuard" sounds like a feminine hygiene product.
"Everclear" is a name of a mind-erasing corn grain alcohol.
Question: Banned in GA, yet OK to sell in the other states?

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Originally Posted By: 15SilvyEcotec

My wife has a doctorate but knows nothing of motor oil, what if she needed oil and purchased some of this. The PQIA has helped push for this and it is good. If you have a good organization saying something needs to be done and the government does something is that not them listening to what we say or want?

Uh, most educated people are inquisitive. She'd find out what's acceptable or simply ask you since you're a BITOGer.

I agree with that response. She has rolled her eyes many times when I talk about oil so she knows I am " in the know " LOL

Consumers should have the right in the free market to buy what they want, when they want and how they want it.

That's fine and dandy if the oil is labelled honestly. And, that's often not the case. Some of these oils over the years have used trademarks illegally. Others have done tiny little "typos" to not confirm to SAE J300 viscosity definitions. Others call themselves motor oil when it's clearly not motor oil.

I have no problem with a company marketing non-detergent SAE 30, as long as it's so labelled. However, many of these aren't even that, and wouldn't qualify for compressor lubes. I suppose there's a reason that the more reputable compressor lubes are using ISO gradings, as should be the case, to avoid this disreputable nonsense altogether.

There is like one non-detergent monograde 30 up here that I've seen that really does it right, and works fine, from a marketing standpoint, when sitting with other motor oil. Castrol has a non-detergent SAE 30, clearly marked as such, with non-detergent in big bold letters on the front.

People can buy what they want, yes. I'm the first person to say people should open their eyes and read the label and know what their vehicles require. But, when people are buying this stuff, I would wager that they're not trying to buy non-detergent oils, with very high virgin particle counts, no anti-wear compounds, and viscosity totally at odds with what the bottle says.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Consumers should have the right in the free market to buy what they want, when they want and how they want it.

That's fine and dandy if the oil is labelled honestly. And, that's often not the case. Some of these oils over the years have used trademarks illegally. Others have done tiny little "typos" to not confirm to SAE J300 viscosity definitions. Others call themselves motor oil when it's clearly not motor oil.

I have no problem with a company marketing non-detergent SAE 30, as long as it's so labelled. However, many of these aren't even that, and wouldn't qualify for compressor lubes. I suppose there's a reason that the more reputable compressor lubes are using ISO gradings, as should be the case, to avoid this disreputable nonsense altogether.

We're on same page, the class action law suit and all the [censored] in a earlier thread about Dollar Stores selling non-detergent(but clearly marked) oil is [censored]...

If what's inside is anything other than what the label suggests, nail their balls to the wall...

Let the market correct this not the government. Class action suits. Good. Trademark suits. Good. We already have laws against fraud so the purposeful mis-labeling should be easy to handle. IMO what we don't need are more govt regulations and control. Air bags shouldn't be required. If people want them let them buy them. Our life is controlled by the government more than most people realize.

yea that sounds all good in utopia theory until you are the aggrieved party and preyed on then its whine whine whine about how you were let down by the system

Last edited:
Let the market correct this not the government. Class action suits. Good. Trademark suits. Good. We already have laws against fraud so the purposeful mis-labeling should be easy to handle. IMO what we don't need are more govt regulations and control. Air bags shouldn't be required. If people want them let them buy them. Our life is controlled by the government more than most people realize.

I understand passion about minimal government intervention, and generally agree with it. But I also believe that there are times when the government should do what they can to protect the people. This is one of them.

The dude making minimum wage and driving a car he paid $1000 for, and it just blew an engine because he bought the cheapest oil he could find at Dollar General, is not going to be helped by a class action suit. Because now that his only transportation to work is toast, he's going to lose his job, and he has other worries than trying to track down some slimey class action lawyer.

Remember, not everyone is as informed, or even tries to be as informed as those here at BITOG. Nor should they have to be. If my son in Wyoming, who is about as mechanically inept as can be, pulls into a gas station and finds out he is low on oil, he shouldn't have to worry about what oil he is going to grab off the shelf.

Sorry, but the people of Georgia are better off with a good decision like this. And yes, this is still totally awesome.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Remember 186k per second, it's not just a good idea, it's the law!
My laugh for the day!

You're welcome. Otherwise we're talking about promoting anarchy here.

Anarchy, it's not the law, it's just a good idea.

LOL @ people who think it's a new and over-reaching act of government to ban products that violate product labeling and misrepresentation laws.

I'm guessing that most, if not all of the people denouncing this act have never been to a nation where literally anything can be sold by anyone. It's a nightmare, and nobody who lives in the middle of it (except for those doing the screwing) enjoy their "liberty" to be bombarded with fraudulent products.

There are many people in foreign countries where if the "made in" sticker bears the name of their own nation, they avoid the product entirely.

Be careful what you wish for.

the companies marketing those oils, can't sell them as motor oils anymore. that's all. they can sell them asgeneral purpose oils...

Let the market correct this not the government. Class action suits. Good. Trademark suits. Good. We already have laws against fraud so the purposeful mis-labeling should be easy to handle.

Did you read the link? Mislabelling is the issue in the bulk of the list. Most are out of viscosity specs or have particulate matter in them. I would assume that these oils aren't labelled with a "Guess the Viscosity and Win a Prize" label on them, nor do they have labels offering "Free Gravel Inside." So, I'm not sure what the problem is. If these were advertised as general purpose lubricants or used motor oil, fine, but that's not the case.

Buyer beware. Be an informed consumer.

there is no way that as an "informed consumer" you would have picked up the issues that lead to these being banned.

An informed consumer at best would read labels and data sheets, but the oils in the bottle were clearly fraudulent.

How would YOU have protected yourself from this activity ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Buyer beware. Be an informed consumer.

there is no way that as an "informed consumer" you would have picked up the issues that lead to these being banned.

An informed consumer at best would read labels and data sheets, but the oils in the bottle were clearly fraudulent.

How would YOU have protected yourself from this activity ?

I myself have a GC-MS in my garage. I built it myself from scavenged parts. Screw other people that don't have one.

I'm just going to say it. When your driving down the highway just about any gas station will have name brand oil for sale. I just took a road trip from FL to NC and every gas station I stopped at had brand name oil. Pennzoil. Mobil. Chevron. Havoline. Quaker State. Texaco. I just don't understand why someone would In an emergency reach past the brand name "Pennzoil". For the XXX oil. Just saying you can't fix stupid. Do I have a problem with GA banning oil that isn't really motor oil no but just saying I can't picture a situation where you wouldn't have access to quality oil.

Last edited:
There is a big difference between government over regulating our choices and their stopping intentionally fraudulent and harmful products from being marketed by greedy malicious companies. Consumers cannot and will not study every product they buy and thoroughly read every label - there has to be a certain level of trust and fairness in markets, and those that violate that trust through deliberate deception need to be stopped.

As for thoroughly reading labels, how about this one"

"Warning: Keep out of the reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately."

This is on the back of every tube of toothpaste. Of course all of the brilliant people have already read that warning and lock their toothpaste away from their young children, right?

People are people, and blaming them for being tricked by clever criminal marketers is just stroking one's own ego for feeling smarter than others. A certain measure of skepticism is healthy, but people had no way of knowing that most of the bottles of "Motor Oil" banned in Georgia were not filled with motor oil, but rather waste fluids from various sources that can destroy their engines. It takes government to quickly and effectively stop such fraud, and most consumers welcome this kind of intervention.

"Buyer Beware" does not excuse intentional deception for profit.

Tom NJ

Note: I am an unpaid advisor to PQIA and the opinions I express here are my own and not necessarily those of PQIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back