Generator Bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone greased this bearing located in the rear of the generator housing ? I was getting my two generators ready for this winter. (2000 Watt, and a 5500 watt). While I was checking everything over I just started wondering about it. The 5.5KW generator is ~12 Years old, and the 2000 Watt generator is just about 3 months old. The 5.5KW is used for the home, and the 2KW is used for remote site power, and for occasional power at the home when I don't need too much power.

As far as I know, all the generators I have taken apart had a sealed bearing. No lubrication can be done.
In an older generator you could replace the bearing, I know if they fail, they can spin in the housing and damage it.
Unless someone has some trick to lube them?

I use mobil 1 grease in the end bearing. I do it every few years. It's a simple matter to pull the end cap off and lube it.

In my case, it's a Robin/Subaru powered Homelite generator. The gen head is really a cheap, crummy head. But it works just fine and produces smooth power. The end cap is plastic and when the bearing starts heating up, the plastic melts.

Also, the rotor shaft is the inner bearing race. So, frequent greasing is required for long life. It's been 10 years now, without any mechanical failures. Plenty of hours too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back