General Altimax Artic Studded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Well, those nokians are only R rated, but i dont find them soft, as far as winter tires go. Its the SUV version. I got them from a local tire shop. You can find a list of dealers on nokian's website. There are a couple of online stores selling them as well. Discount Tire sells some models, too.

Thanx. Well, considering El Nino might hit us pretty hard, I might as well stick to T speed rating.

These have similar tread as Gislaved Nord Frost (both Gislaved and General are owned by Continental).

I've had a set of Nord Frost 5s since 2008 and did not hesistate to buy a set of Altimax Arctics this season for a different car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: db130
These have similar tread as Gislaved Nord Frost (both Gislaved and General are owned by Continental).

I've had a set of Nord Frost 5s since 2008 and did not hesistate to buy a set of Altimax Arctics this season for a different car.

I didnt know that gislaved and General were made by continental, does continental make any other brand of tire?

Originally Posted By: Grambo
does continental make any other brand of tire?

Uniroyal (in Europe), Semperit, Barum, Viking, Mabor, Matador, Euzkadi, Sime. I think most of these brands don't exist in the US though.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
does continental make any other brand of tire?

Uniroyal (in Europe), Semperit, Barum, Viking, Mabor, Matador, Euzkadi, Sime. I think most of these brands don't exist in the US though.

Matador
cry.gif

Remember when people would buy Skoda, and drive to tire shop to take off Matador.

Any more Pictures of your winter setups?

Here's mine.

hakka-8-in-snow.jpg
hakka-8.jpg

Hakka 8s on a 2015 Forester. With some wheels the tire dealer had on special offer the day I was there.

They'll be back on next week, supposed to be the first snow of the winter coming.

In my opinion, if you're buying a studdable tire, you get them studded. If you don't want studs, buy a dedicated studless tire. Running a studded tire without the studs gives up a lot on hardpack and ice, as they're designed expecting that they have studs to help out in those situations (studless tires have different design tweaks to account for the lack of studs on those surfaces).

Here's a pic of the Hakka R2s on my Jeep:

ZERZ53b.jpg

Here in Illinois studs are illegal. So my question is, where do you guys from elsewhere get them? Do you buy them studded? Does the tire shop stud them for you?

Tire shop studs them. Has to be done to a virgin tire that never saw the street. Stud gun is like a fancy rivet machine. Some jurisdictions only allow aluminum, not steel, so it's good they're not pre-studded.

I understand there are some square headed studs out there; those sound pretty sweet.

Nice pics how do the Nokia s ride?

Not much worse than the OEM tires that came with the car, but they do feel like they flex more on corners. The big thing I notice is the noise; at low speeds they sound like I'm driving on popcorn, and at high speeds they sound like I'm driving a tractor.

I just turn up the stereo a couple of notches and mostly ignore it.

Edit: Like someone else mentioned, these are the SUV version, which have tougher side walls. So the car version may flex more than they do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blueglide88
So my question is, where do you guys from elsewhere get them? Do you buy them studded? Does the tire shop stud them for you?

The Nokians come pre-studded; they have some fancy design where the studs retract into the tire if the surface is too hard to dig into, so I'm guessing the local tire store guys wouldn't really be up to installing them. Besides, there's about 200 studs per tire, so they'd probably hate you by the time they'd done 800 of them
smile.gif

My daughter's new Impreza is getting a set of these today...consigning the OEM tires at the shop. If we like them on her car, I'll most likely get a set for my Forester XT next spring.

When i ordered my General Altimax Artic from discount tire direct,I opted to have them studded, it costed me 15 dollars a tire to stud them. i have yet to mount them waiting after thanksgiving to do so.

Last edited:
I have Altimax Arctic non studded (not allowed here) on my Civic in the winter. They're my favorite snow tire for the money. My folks have them on their EX35, I had them on one of my Saturns, and my folks had them on their Maxima before they got the EX. We all love them.

anybody else running general altimax artic setups on their ride.

Bought them to replace the worn down Goodyear set of winter rubber. Waiting until Thanksgiving or so to mount them up. The 12/32 tread depth looks awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back