Generac Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Break in with BRAD PENN® Penn Grade 1® Break in Oil. You can get it on e-bay. Get a couple of quarts and make the first change very early like after only 1 hour to get out any metal left over from building. Then put 8 hours on some.

Then go to GC. The great thing about GC is it is the best oil you can run regardless of the ambient temperature. When you store a generator you never know what the ambient will be when you will be using it. GC is great in any temp. from extreme cold to extreme hot.

Get a K&N air filter for it. Store it with the original paper and use that when you first start using it during an outage. Then oil up the K&N with the clean and oil kit, and let it drain on paper towels for 20 minutes and replace the paper filter with it. This way you avoid the problem of having the oil dry out when you do not use it. For any long outage clean the K&N every 100 hours.

Initially I ran my generator connected to the house to test the wiring set up. Now every 4 months I run it with electric heaters connected to it to load it to about 1/2 load. This way I do not have to reset electronic items in the house because I do not mess with the house for 4 month maintenance runs. First I run it for several minutes unloaded, then I put the load on it for about 5 minutes, then remove the load and run it a few minutes before shutting off the gas and running the carb dry.

I give a half hour to an hour to cool depending on ambient, and pull the plug and spray in Sta-Bil Fogging oil. Then put a clean rag or paper towel over plug hole and pull the rope a couple of times. Then put the plug back and lightly pull the rope to stop it on a compression stroke so all valves are closed. This prevents moisture from getting into the cylinder, and puts the valve springs in the uncompressed position for storage.

I have metal barbed inline connections on the fuel line just after the tank valve (found them in a blister pack on the wall at a local NAPA) , and an extra inline fuel filter. The extra inline filter insures that if any small piece of fuel line come off due to the barb connection that it will get stopped before it gets to the carb. The inline barbed connection allows me to put a piece of hose on and drain the tank. I store the tank in a garage for a month after each use, and after it airs out it goes back on the generator.

Get some good heavy chains and locks if you have anything solid to chain it to. In a real outage they are high theft items.

Get many small plastic gas cans and use Sta-Bil gas storage treatment with the gas. If you double dose with Sta-Bil the gas is good for 2 years. Rotate out your gas stock. I stock 55 gallons in 2+1/2 gallon plastic gas cans. In a real ice storm or a snow storm like we just went through in Pittsburgh PA for the last couple of days, the roads are unusable. You have to have a least a few days of fuel to get you by until the roads are again usable. Now days most vehicles are very hard to drain gas from.

A Chinese copy of a Honda.

I intend to have the last bit, a hose, to run my generator off the natural gas from the house before the next storm comes through.

I also have a large eye bolt I intend to run through the foundation to a plate inside to chain the generator.

SyN,

I have been using AMSOIL 10W30 4-stroke oil (don't know their product codes) in my Generac 15kW generator. I have a UOA in the appropriate section. It seems to be a good oil for year round use.

Thanks Benjamming: I will prob go with the Amsoil or M1.

Thanks Jim: For those very indepth instructions... I am also considering GC.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Break in with BRAD PENN® Penn Grade 1® Break in Oil. You can get it on e-bay. Get a couple of quarts and make the first change very early like after only 1 hour to get out any metal left over from building. Then put 8 hours on some.

Then go to GC. The great thing about GC is it is the best oil you can run regardless of the ambient temperature. When you store a generator you never know what the ambient will be when you will be using it. GC is great in any temp. from extreme cold to extreme hot.

Get a K&N air filter for it. Store it with the original paper and use that when you first start using it during an outage. Then oil up the K&N with the clean and oil kit, and let it drain on paper towels for 20 minutes and replace the paper filter with it. This way you avoid the problem of having the oil dry out when you do not use it. For any long outage clean the K&N every 100 hours.

Initially I ran my generator connected to the house to test the wiring set up. Now every 4 months I run it with electric heaters connected to it to load it to about 1/2 load. This way I do not have to reset electronic items in the house because I do not mess with the house for 4 month maintenance runs. First I run it for several minutes unloaded, then I put the load on it for about 5 minutes, then remove the load and run it a few minutes before shutting off the gas and running the carb dry.

I give a half hour to an hour to cool depending on ambient, and pull the plug and spray in Sta-Bil Fogging oil. Then put a clean rag or paper towel over plug hole and pull the rope a couple of times. Then put the plug back and lightly pull the rope to stop it on a compression stroke so all valves are closed. This prevents moisture from getting into the cylinder, and puts the valve springs in the uncompressed position for storage.

I have metal barbed inline connections on the fuel line just after the tank valve (found them in a blister pack on the wall at a local NAPA) , and an extra inline fuel filter. The extra inline filter insures that if any small piece of fuel line come off due to the barb connection that it will get stopped before it gets to the carb. The inline barbed connection allows me to put a piece of hose on and drain the tank. I store the tank in a garage for a month after each use, and after it airs out it goes back on the generator.

Get some good heavy chains and locks if you have anything solid to chain it to. In a real outage they are high theft items.

Get many small plastic gas cans and use Sta-Bil gas storage treatment with the gas. If you double dose with Sta-Bil the gas is good for 2 years. Rotate out your gas stock. I stock 55 gallons in 2+1/2 gallon plastic gas cans. In a real ice storm or a snow storm like we just went through in Pittsburgh PA for the last couple of days, the roads are unusable. You have to have a least a few days of fuel to get you by until the roads are again usable. Now days most vehicles are very hard to drain gas from.

Lots of good advice here.

For your info, here is what I do.

I run my Honda EM5000 for a minimum of 30 minutes under a load every month.

I keep 30 gallons in 5 gallon cans treated with Stabil, and also rotate to maintain freshness.

I am impressed with the GC and feel it's good stuff for the air-cooled engines. (But right now I have tons of conventional oil that I'm using up...)

I installed an hourmeter on my Honda genset so I can keep track of the actual hours run. Honda says 100 hours between changes....don't know if I could ever go that long between oil changes.........

I also installed a Drainzit for easier oil changes without the mess.

Sounds like you're going to take good care of your new generator......

Thanks gd: For your input and advice. Yes the generator will be very highly maintained. My Generac has an hour meter built in... so I can keep track... and an oil change is only 1qt, so I can afford a Very good quality synthetic, which will average at the most $7.00. I for sure will change it more often the 100hrs. If I know myself... I will change it every spring before camping season.--->which will average out to be maybe 20hrs a yr... Just depends on how bad our winters get. They seem to be getting more worse ea yr. Thanks Again to Everyone.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Thanks gd: For your input and advice. Yes the generator will be very highly maintained. My Generac has an hour meter built in... so I can keep track... and an oil change is only 1qt, so I can afford a Very good quality synthetic, which will average at the most $7.00. I for sure will change it more often the 100hrs. If I know myself... I will change it every spring before camping season.--->which will average out to be maybe 20hrs a yr... Just depends on how bad our winters get. They seem to be getting more worse ea yr. Thanks Again to Everyone.

I have the hourmeter really to keep track during outages where long use might come into play.

Right now I'm running Mobil 1 10w-30 for the winter season, and have been running conventional SAE30 in the summer....once my stock of SAE30 is gone, I'll probably switch to GC full time.

I'm a maintenance freak, so this topic is right up my alley!

Greg

BTW when that generator gets several years old lube up the bearing of the electric generation section farthest from the motor with Kendall red wheel bearing grease. The grease in these bearing dries out and the bearing goes bad. This can wipe out the housing. It is a weak point on almost all generators.

I have a Dixie Chopper mower that is powered by a 27HP Generac V Twin engine. The Dixie Chopper manual recommended to use Lucas 15W 40 oil in the engine along with the hydraulic drive motors. Is there another oil the manufacturer recommends for these engines?

BTW when that generator gets several years old lube up the bearing of the electric generation section farthest from the motor with Kendall red wheel bearing grease. The grease in these bearing dries out and the bearing goes bad. This can wipe out the housing. It is a weak point on almost all generators.

Jim,

Can you describe this procedure a bit? I'm curious.....

Greg

Rotella 5W-40 Syn in our Catastrophe Response Team Generators.
After seeing 30 weight dino problems working bad storms and the success of the HDEO's, we made the switch. I now use it in about everything air cooled.

If you are not running it non stop for 3 weeks without a change it will not matter that much. It might be more important to drain the gas each use, due to long storage. Good luck

Originally Posted By: Cmarti

If you are not running it non stop for 3 weeks without a change it will not matter that much. It might be more important to drain the gas each use, due to long storage. Good luck

Right on. Failures all seem to happen during constant, extended use, especially in hot weather. 40wt HDEO seem to greatly extend life in those situation. Regular light use, it's overkill. I am also a fan of running small vented fuel systems dry as well.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cmarti
Rotella 5W-40 Syn in our Catastrophe Response Team Generators.
After seeing 30 weight dino problems working bad storms and the success of the HDEO's, we made the switch. I now use it in about everything air cooled.

What kind of dino 30 wt are you referring to? 5W30? 10W30? straight 30 wt?

What kind of dino 30 wt are you referring to? 5W30? 10W30? straight 30 wt? [/quote]

All types, Not scientific study, but ancedotal observation/discussions and probably not applicable to running your TV at the tailgate.... but in working Cats generators run for weeks. our own and customer generators OPS would kick in, as 30 wt dino seemed to go out of grade quicker or burn off faster. Engine componenet failure were running 30 wt Dino.

2 major flaws in our theory
1. 30 wt dino was run 1000 to 1 over HDEO dino or synthetic 40 wt Multi viscosity
2. These were all probaly way over change intervals

Due to the extreme conditions and our observation we went with 40 wt HDEO synthetic, Everybody running RTS were.... well running. So I have kinda stuck with it for air cooled engines. I am the first to admit oil is over rated and observations prove nothing. However, our observations were the basis of our decision.

Originally Posted By: gd9704
JimPghPA said:

Jim,

Can you describe this procedure a bit? I'm curious.....

Greg,.

I have not had to do this to my gen-set yet. When I got mine three years ago I had a real long phone conversation with the local rep. who is the actual person who works on them. He must of had a real slow day, because he talked for about 45 minutes. I was putting a car muffler on mine to quiet it down and he told me that if I remove the muffler the Tecumseh engine on mine, and many other brands are all-ready female threaded for pipe thread. And if I put pipe on it to go to a right angle and use a flex pipe so the pipe flexes as the engine rocks. He said that if I did not do this the vibration of the engine would destroy anything I added on. I found the stainless steel flex pipe at McMaster-Carr.

Anyhow when I was talking to him I told him about a cousin of mine who has had the same unit for several years and asked at how many hours should the brushes be replaced. He said that they can go bad but he has seen units with over 2000 hours with good brushes. He said to tell my cousin to pull the end off of his generator and lube up the bearings with Kendall red wheel bearing grease. He said that the grease dries out and the bearing goes bad because of bad grease, and this can destroy the housing when the bearing goes. Another source said that if you run these generators near full load on hot days they can get so hot that the plastic holding the bearings will warp, and ruing the alignment. A box fan on the electric generation section is a good idea on hot days.

So to answer your question, I would just disassemble the end of the electric generator while paying careful attention to how the brushes will have to be held up to clear the commutator if they come off with the end housing. Grease up the bearings but be careful not to be so sloppy that grease will get on the commutator or brushes. That would be a good time to inspect and if necessary replace the brushes. Also lightly clean the commutator with a soft white eraser normally used for pencil, or a fine mild Scotch Bright plastic abrasion pad.

Last edited:
I did some research by using Google to search BITOG about M1 TDT 5W-40, GC, M1 15W-50, and RTS. One of the post I read here on BITOG said that in an air cooled engine M1 TDT 5W-40 sheared to the point that even with starting out as a 40, GC would of be a better choice because it would of not sheared down to the viscosity that M1 TDT did.

I would think that any M1 xW-30 would be a poorer choice than M1 TDT 5W-40 because the 40 of TDT has more to loose. And if this is correct it would mean that GC is a much better choice than M1 xW-30 in high shear applications such as air cooled engines.

Any thoughts about this?

BTW running any oil even RTS in an air cooled engine non stop for 3 weeks without a change is insane. I guess if the cost of the engine is not coming out their wallet, it does not matter.

Last edited:
Greg,.

One thing, I mentioned that my cousin stores his gen-set outside. I think that is one of the reasons the teck suggested it was probably time for him to grease up the end bearing.

I store mine inside, take it out and run it under load after warm up every 4 months, and remove tank and put it back indoors.

Greg,.

One thing, I mentioned that my cousin stores his gen-set outside. I think that is one of the reasons the teck suggested it was probably time for him to grease up the end bearing.

I store mine inside, take it out and run it under load after warm up every 4 months, and remove tank and put it back indoors.

Jim,

Thanks for the replies.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back