Generac 7KW home standby generator battery change

My bud at work has this regularly serviced but during the last power flicker it failed to start. Older unit probably installed sometime after Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast before he bought the house. Real quick look showed a failed starting battery. Already looked it up as a Group 26R and just going to he parts store to get another. Anything else I should be aware of? Any quirks or special ways to get at it. It seems pretty simple as the side panel slides right off. Thanks!

Last edited:
I can’t see how this would be anything complex. I guess the usual thing applies - does a bigger battery fit in the space? If so it may be prudent to go larger.

Usually if going into a car I’d say to charge it first. I assume this has a float charger to keep it up all the time. So I’d install it, let the onboard charger top it up, then test it.

I expect these would start with a motorcycle battery or U1 garden battery but the size 26R was chosen as the cheapest, smallest commonly available size. As such it's significantly oversized for what it does and lives until the chemical reaction of turning lead into juice completely totally falls apart. Since Sandy was 2012 this could be 11 years old, which makes sense.

If it were mine I'd slap a walmart value 26R in there.

Does the unit get automatically exercised on an interval?

Yeah after seeing that riding mower engine i agree, 5 year OCI, Fram XG3614 and upgrade the crappy oil change drain :LOL:

I expect these would start with a motorcycle battery or U1 garden battery but the size 26R was chosen as the cheapest, smallest commonly available size. As such it's significantly oversized for what it does and lives until the chemical reaction of turning lead into juice completely totally falls apart. Since Sandy was 2012 this could be 11 years old, which makes sense.

Yes it did until a sensor fault sometime last year where it may have had a 3-4 month downtime before caught. I thought that too, buying the cheapest 26R available since it has a cold weather kit.

I dont disagree there on the battery but AGM's tends to not corrode or gas out acid like a standard flooded battery and that might be good for a battery that is out of sight out of mind.

Has it developed an issue where it drains down the battery over a few days? Might want to check voltage a few days after installing it to make sure.
I'm not sure what would cause this issue. Does anyone else?

Generac uses crappy steel and paint for inside their standby units. While you're doing the battery change, it pays to clean and lubricate the inner steel panels that you can access to maybe slow down their tendency to rust. I'm on my second 16KW unit due to rusting issues.
I'm presently researching standby gens for a house we're building 100ft from the salt water, looking like Cummins probably has the most corrosion resistant enclosure.

I'm presently researching standby gens for a house we're building 100ft from the salt water, looking like Cummins probably has the most corrosion resistant enclosure.
With Generac, in my experience the outer cabinet holds up fine. It's the interior steel panels that fail due to rust. Mine have been in a coastal location, also 100 feet from a brackish body of water, but I never heard of Cummins or Kohler generators having rust issues.

With Generac, in my experience the outer cabinet holds up fine. It's the interior steel panels that fail due to rust. Mine have been in a coastal location, also 100 feet from a brackish body of water, but I never heard of Cummins or Kohler generators having rust issues.
I know that Kohler used to have plastic outer enclosures but looks like the may have transitioned to AL on their latest models. I wonder if that same corrosion prevention compound that you spray on inboard boat motors would help on the inside panels?

I know that Kohler used to have plastic outer enclosures but looks like the may have transitioned to AL on their latest models. I wonder if that same corrosion prevention compound that you spray on inboard boat motors would help on the inside panels?
My 2006 16kW Generac has an aluminum enclosure.

Went really easy and it survived 10 years! Went with the cheaper option per his instructions and can't really fault it considering it's easy life. I am surprised there is no cold weather kit installed considering our temps.

Battery maintainer seemed to be working fine as it was at 13.4V with the engine off and holding. I just put the red cap on the terminal this is the old battery.

PXL_20230808_234804039.jpg
PXL_20230808_234810027.jpg

Good choice after seeing your thread I did some research, flooded cell batteries are known for longer life than AGM.
I found this interesting and sometimes wonder if maybe why many marine batteries are flooded cells too. With that said in my vehicles I do go sealed AGM for convenience but something like this application why not.
It does have me rethinking the boat battery though, which is a new sealed one. Also mention to "back up power applications" but I dont think that means this. But bottom line is pick and chose what works. Im sure they both last long I did see something I never knew about AGM is it cant work well and discharging more than 50% shortens life. I thought that was all batteries but seems like AGM more so.

Im curious if you know has he needed the unit after Super Storm Sandy?
Wife wants to get one for our new home, I know here it will be a waste except for maybe that once every decade or two hurricane. We can deal with couple hour outage, I am curious about the 24+ hour ones

Last edited:
I only got 3 yrs. on flooded batteries in my 10kw unit. Went through 2 until I switched to AGM. Current battery is an Odessey AGM.
It's at 3 yrs now, maybe more, and so far so good. I need dependable starts in below 0 temps at a vacation place.
Heated battery wrap and a stick on sump heater on the motor plate running on a Thermo Cube that cycles on at 30f. 0-30w oil in the engine.

Back