GC in '01 Camry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been considering changing my mother's Camry (5S-FE 4 cyl.) to GC.

Not much in the UOA section with this combination.

I'm also considering Syntec 5W-30 and M1 5W-30.

Can any of you offer a good reason NOT to go with the GC?

Thanks.

GC has been discontinued by Auto Zone. Some stores that sell a fair amount will get all the inventory from the slow-selling stores - but eventually, it will be gone. Someone listed another independent or two that sells it online - but the price is above $7.

That it is getting harder and harder to find would be a reason; in fact, one of the recent threads said Autozone is no longer able to order it.

I haven't looked lately at the Aurora, CO stores, but in late May, there was still plenty of GC ... YMMV in Georgia.

That's a good point. Last time I looked, which was last November, one AZ still had dusty bottles of pre-German 0W-30, but another one a little farther away had tons of the good new GC Gold. I'll have to check on that.

Availability aside, any other reasons?

Quote:

That's a good point. Last time I looked, which was last November, one AZ still had dusty bottles of pre-German 0W-30, but another one a little farther away had tons of the good new GC Gold. I'll have to check on that.

Availability aside, any other reasons?

As good or better performance from lesser priced oils?

So far from what I've been reading so far tonight, an oil that stays at a thickness of 10 centiStokes is the ideal oil; especially if it were able to stay there at all temperatures.
grin.gif

Well, in the end, money talks.

I just went to AA to make a final decision, and they had 1 gallon jugs of Valvoline Synpower 5w30 for 15.94. Reports on this seem to be good from what I recall, so I went for it.

I don't know if the sale is national or local, but it seems worth a look for you hoarders out there.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back