Silicon...8...........4
Sodium....2..........14
Potassium.10.........12
Moly...... Phosphorus.1105.....903
Zinc.......1197.....1157
Calcium....3683.....1941
Mag........216......770

All other metals
TBN D-664 OLD test used for both oils the results are lower than new test D-2896.

Green........Gold

VI

Vis@40

Vis@100

Bruce

bruce381, THanks for the post. Just started using the Green. The difference in add pack amkes one wonder. Do they now use something not tested for or has the base oils somehow made up for the difference in the Calcium. Hmmmmm!
THanks
Greg H

Is magnesium at 770 a concern? I recall something one of the great ones on here wrote about high levels of magnesium forming an abrasive form of ash.Or something to that effect.

The larger deltas tell me there are more differences in these oils than color. The VI and the 40°C vis point to different base oils.

I cannot say automatically that higher Mg = bad - it is possible that Mg (and Mg oxides) are more "abrasive" (bad word) than Ca, but within reasonable OCI, in a well formulated oil I wouldn't sweat it!

It seems that everyone here is under assumption that the Green GC blend has stayed the same and never been changed during its long production run.
I would like to see a VOA of the last green batch - M0501X and then compare it to the Bruces mid cycle M04097.

anyone want to send in a 4 ounce bottle with lot# I'll have the same tests run just email me.
bruce

cheers.gif
worshippy.gif

If the tbn of the gold does not drop readily under operation, then it should be OK.

Some of the newer magnesium detergents (the overbased type) are in a different form now and leave fewer deposits than the older mags.

Hi,
Vad - you said;
"It seems that everyone here is under assumption that the Green GC blend has stayed the same and never been changed during its long production run"

I can assure you that as you suggest it has changed plenty!

The first Green formulation I used in 1996-7 (SH/CF) had at least two formulation changes up until 05/2000 (SL/CF) when I stopped using it

As Castrol says "Oils ain't oils" - and they are probably correct

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back