GC and rear main seal.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently rolling around underneath my truck, I noticed a little dampness where the tranny meets the block. I assume its a (slightly) leaking rear main seal.

Im in the middle of AutoRX-ing the engine, then wanted to move onto GC for my regular fill. Should I be avoiding GC and moving to one of the "higher mileage" oils? The truck only has 38K miles on it, but its apparently a common problem (1st gen Frontier with the 3.3L V6).

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

Try GC, then toward the end of the run, check for any leaks. If any leaks/weeping has worsened, then move to a HM oil. That's my take, anyway.

With only 38k on the motor i would not use a high mileage oil chances are the seal will not improve with it anyway,GC would be my choice,its a thick as most of these high mileage oils at operating temps.if the rear main seal gets worse then replace it on such a young motor.A weepy seal is no big deal unless it turns in a all out leak

Let the ARX finish, then run a couple of dino intervals before drawing any conclusions on the leak.

If it stops, by all means go with GC. Otherwise, I would look to fix the leak.

Quote:

Try GC, then toward the end of the run, check for any leaks. If any leaks/weeping has worsened, then move to a HM oil. That's my take, anyway.

Don't you mean "when the leak worsens"? from running a 0w synthetic oil in an already leaking engine. I would go to the HM oil now...or get the seal repaired.

"KB-FXDLI. GC is for German Cars..not American cars"That makes no sense at all.You mean all cars in Germany are German?that Citroen,fiat,Japanese cars etc don't drive there using Castrol oil?
pat2.gif
.What does 0W have to do with it?its almost a 40 weight at operating temps.Modern synthetic oils do not cause or enhance leakage like the first generation oils may have,the same could be said for the original multi grade oils.If using thicker oil is helping to stop a leak then why not just use straight 30w?that would just be a silly way to try to cure a mechanical defect.

Quote:

"KB-FXDLI. GC is for German Cars..not American cars"That makes no sense at all.You mean all cars in Germany are German?that Citroen,fiat,Japanese cars etc don't drive there using Castrol oil?
pat2.gif
.What does 0W have to do with it?its almost a 40 weight at operating temps.Modern synthetic oils do not cause or enhance leakage like the first generation oils may have,the same could be said for the original multi grade oils.If using thicker oil is helping to stop a leak then why not just use straight 30w?that would just be a silly way to try to cure a mechanical defect.

It' a joke.....
laugh.gif
any synthetic oil will leak more through a bad seal than dino. Sorry I didn't mean to say that only a 0w will leak.

GC is thicker than most 5w-30 oils at room temperature, so how is it going to leak more? You seem biased against the number 0 even though it's nothing more than an arbitrary designation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back