GAUGE hazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mu 1987 Cruisers Inc. has some hazing on most of the gauges. I have replaced one but thats a hassle as one needs to make up new jumpers because the connectors are different. Some of the gauges are almost unreadable. So I was thinking about using some of the stuff in my Turtle Wax headlight kit?

Thoughts?

Would probably work.

People on Youtube use white toothpaste and a sock and it seems to work.

I would get some really high quality stuff by Meguires or something, I wouldn't want to risk making matters worse.

Most of the time it is moisture on the inside. You can try the restore polish. But in my experience replacement is really the only way.

If the lenses on the gauges are removable from the dash or gauges, take them to a good plastic supply store and have them cut out new ones, using the old ones as templates. Of course, if the lenses are not made of flat material, your going to have a much more expensive project. I would look for factory new ones first.

I would try a plastic polish like ScratchX at the very least. It should cut through the hazing (oxidation).

If they're glass, try a glass polish like cerium oxide.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I would try a plastic polish like ScratchX at the very least. It should cut through the hazing (oxidation).

If they're glass, try a glass polish like cerium oxide.

The speedometer and tach are fine. Its all the engine and tilt.trim gauges.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Would probably work.

People on Youtube use white toothpaste and a sock and it seems to work.

I would get some really high quality stuff by Meguires or something, I wouldn't want to risk making matters worse.

+1 on the Meguiars. They make a polish specifically for clear plastic. Almost looks like a small elmers glue. Works excellent. You can order it online. Toothpaste and a sock can work but the Meguiars is specifically made for what you need

There's this stuff called Plexus, that works really well cleaning up mild scratches and oxidation. Expensive, though, at 17 bucks per can (7 oz. spray aerosol). I use this mainly for my motorcycle face shield, but have experimented with it on other things and it cleans them up very nicely.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
There's this stuff called Plexus, that works really well cleaning up mild scratches and oxidation. Expensive, though, at 17 bucks per can (7 oz. spray aerosol). I use this mainly for my motorcycle face shield, but have experimented with it on other things and it cleans them up very nicely.

THIS^^^ is what I use on my instrument cluster lens/cover, works GREAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back