Gas Golf Cart won't run

My EZGO MPT 1200G ran fine last year. Always ran ethanol free gas. Added Amsoil stabilizer before winter. Probably last ran around September or so. Stored in enclosed building. Tried to use it about a month ago and it would not start.

Cranks like it always has. No odd noises, etc.
It's getting gas.
It has good spark.
Tried starting fluid. Still didn't even try to start. No hiccup, hit, cough, backfire,.. NOTHING!
Fuses are good.

Someone said it may have jumped time. Replaced timing belt today.

I'm no mechanic, so I apologize if this sounds stupid. When you turn the ignition switch off, how does it kill an engine? Does it cut spark? What about when you let off the gas, does a micro switch kill spark? Or is there some other way it could be killing the engine? Just wondering if it may be a bad ignition switch or bad micro switch at the accelerator.

Pull the spark plug and put your finger over the hole, does it have compression? Take the valve cover off and see if the valve train is moving.

An engine needs three things to run: (1) Spark at the correct time, (2) fuel, (3) compression.

If your engine doesn't respond to starting fluid then you either have no spark or no compression. Did you verify the correct valve timing when you replaced the timing belt? Have you checked compression? How did the spark plugs look when you removed them? Were they black, sooty, wet?

If it ran last September and now it won't even run on starting fluid then you might have bad plugs or a bad ignition coil. It is possible that the flywheel has sheared the woodruff key but it isn't likely. That happens on lawn mowers when you hit a stump but not likely on a golf cart.

Check your spark again.

What engine?
If it’s a single cylinder Kawasaki, those things foul plugs pretty quickly.
My Kawasaki Mule is bad on plugs. I went to a higher heat range plug and that helped.
Verify that you have spark.
Verify compression.
Verify fuel delivery.
Bypass micro-switch, if it has one and see if it cranks.

Pull the spark plug and put your finger over the hole, does it have compression? Take the valve cover off and see if the valve train is moving.
I don't have a compression gauge, but I can do that.
Yes, valves all work. None appear to be sticking.

An engine needs three things to run: (1) Spark at the correct time, (2) fuel, (3) compression.

If your engine doesn't respond to starting fluid then you either have no spark or no compression. Did you verify the correct valve timing when you replaced the timing belt? Have you checked compression? How did the spark plugs look when you removed them? Were they black, sooty, wet?

If it ran last September and now it won't even run on starting fluid then you might have bad plugs or a bad ignition coil. It is possible that the flywheel has sheared the woodruff key but it isn't likely. That happens on lawn mowers when you hit a stump but not likely on a golf cart.

Check your spark again.
A friend and I were working on replacing the timing belt today. I guess we got caught up in the process of replacing the belt and honestly did not think to check the timing. But we timed it according to the manual.

I don't have a compression gauge.

Spark plugs look fine, a little wet. I ordered 2 new plugs anyway but they haven't arrived.

What engine?
My Kawasaki Mule is bad on plugs. I went to a higher heat range plug and that helped.
Verify compression.
Verify fuel delivery.
What engine?
Verify compression.
Verify fuel delivery.
295cc 2 cylinder, I believe a Robin's engine.

Whatever it has for a coil signal-- distributor, points, magneto-- check it out for corrosion and animal interference. "Something" happened over the winter, and it's not normal wear and tear.

Back