Garmin...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does the Garmin nuvi 2595 update take so long? I'm in the process now and I can tell if it died or is just incredibly slooooow.

After the last screwing that I took from Garmin, I'm done with them. I refuse to buy anything else that they've had *anything* to do with.

Their Customer Support is simply the worst that I've ever seen.

Takes about an hour or so for my Nuvi to update. Its probably in need of one, but since I got my smart phone I havent used it much.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
How you update map ? It's free ?

If you have a lifetime map updates model it sure is.
I made sure last time I bought a new Garmin that it was a LMT model.

I use the Garmin Express tool that notifies me a map update awaiting. Then I hook up (USB), a few clicks of the mouse, check back in a few hours and it's usually done.
I don't know how it works... it just does.

If it wasn't for some of those tools, I probably wouldn't bother.
Have a similar app tool for radar detector database, but I receive weekly email notification for which states have updates.

So I figure the Garmin is doing all the states it takes a few hours / detector a few states take minutes instead of hours.
I guess internet speed and how large the update is determines how long it takes.

Garmin Express has done the backup and I was notified when it completed. I've been waiting for 4 hours for the next step (Firmware 8.00) to start, fail complete or anything else. So far, nothing. It has not told me that it gave up so I'm waiting.

Found what might have been the problem. When I started the process I closed the Windows Media Player that Garmin opened. Evidently that crashed the process but there was no error message produced. I rebooted the system and started over. It's no running and I do have a progress message, 3 hours left. Finally.

wow just came back to check.
Was going to say when downloading, some of those lights on the router/modem blink like crazy (not using another pc) is like a sign something is happening.
Hope it works out.
Matter of fact, we call my main GPS "Hope"... hope it gets us there. It's been a good unit.
I like the LMT, points of interest and voice command feature. Paper maps not in use anymore for road travel.

Last edited:
It finished during the night. Their interface is a bit lacking when it comes to feedback, as in nothing if something goes wrong.

On a related note, I can't get the Garmin Communicator Plugin installed in FireFox 23. It shows as installed, but whenever I go to My Dashboard on Garmin's page, it's not getting detected.

I was finally able to get it to work in IE.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
After the last screwing that I took from Garmin, I'm done with them. I refuse to buy anything else that they've had *anything* to do with.

Their Customer Support is simply the worst that I've ever seen.

Frankly that sounds like ever GPS mfg out there. They all stink when it comes to CS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back