Garmin....replace or update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a nuvi 255 that has been relatively trouble-free. Problem is, that it's about 5 or 6 years old and obviously the maps are out of date.

Is it better to simply replace it or should I update it online? I have heard that the newer ones are no better, as they take longer to find locations etc.

thanks in advance

I have the 265WT and got one of those holiday emails for a reduced lifetime update rate and I jumped on it. Mine works like a champ and is good for the traveling I do. I can't see spending a wad of cash on a replacement to do the same thing. Of course, there are folks out there who refuse to spend a little more on great oil...their loss.

Do you run into map issues? I only ask because depending on where you live, it may not be a big deal. The maps on mine are from 2008 and I have yet to run into an issue with them.

If you're happy with the operation but need updated maps, I'd be inclined to just update your current unit if it's less expensive than a new, comparable model. The newer ones do take longer to calculate routes and a lot of them seem laggier than older ones since they are very animation-heavy.

Unless they are putting in a lot of new roads where you go, save your money. Interstates don't change much at all.

Check for updates on your GPS. My parents have a TomTom and they were able to update the firmware so it looks the same as a later model.

A new Garmin nuvi with lifetime maps can be had for around $100 on Amazon. On the other hand, a one time update of City Navigator for North America is $80 from Garmin. I think I'd rather just get a whole new device for $100 and change. Most likely the new device will have a faster CPU so it should be more responsive, compared to your 5-6-year-old one.

I'm in a similar situation. My nuvi 755 is about 5 years old. I ended up buying a car mount for my Android phone and now typically just use that as my navigation with Google Maps/Navigator app. Android recognizes voice commands, which is nice, but so do many newer Garmins, too.

I've relegated my old Garmin to my motorcycle.

My smartphone pretty much replaced my GPS device. Google Nav is pretty good for directions and the maps don't go out of date like a GPS does.

I have what I recall to be a 205W. It is a wide screen but low end, 4.3", I beleive.

Last year we went to Europe and so needed a GPS. Was thinking of buying a new one. I didnt. Just bought the maps on a card and updated the unit. Worked like a charm. The battery is still good and I cant complain about it. I think I got mine in 2007 or 2008.

Considering how much I use the iphone now for navigation, Im not going to premptively replace it, though I might buy a new one if/when it dies.

I dont keep ours in the car.

Speaking of phone nav... I've also been playing with the OsmAnd app. Paid version is $7 and it allows you to download unlimited worldwide opensource maps to your device. Since the maps are stored locally, you will not be incurring data charges, regardless where you are. Routing is still a bit clunky, but they're working on it.

However, sometimes it's just more convenient to use your smartphone as a phone, and let another dedicated device be the nav.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
However, sometimes it's just more convenient to use your smartphone as a phone, and let another dedicated device be the nav.

I agree. The NAV works awesome on my Galaxy but its a phone. I use my Avic X930BT mostly for nav, even though it can be a bit cumbersome to use and program.

They both have advantages and disadvantages (phone vs. dedicated unit). I have both Telenav and Google Navigation on my phone, and both are far superior in finding restaurant and store names than is my up-to-date Nuvi. However, the phone has an aggravating habit of losing its signal (to the server, not the GPS) right at the most inopportune time. The Nuvi doesn’t suffer from that of course, but it’s ability to find “names” of places rather than an address is noticeably poorer.

I just bought a Nuvi 250W from someone here. Downloaded OpenStreetMap project maps, installed them on a 4GB SD card and now it has maps updated as of last month.

Cost?

$45 for the used Garmin with accessories and an unused 4GB SD card I had lying around.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

http://www.osmmaps.com/

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller
I have a nuvi 255 that has been relatively trouble-free. Problem is, that it's about 5 or 6 years old and obviously the maps are out of date.

Is it better to simply replace it or should I update it online? I have heard that the newer ones are no better, as they take longer to find locations etc.

thanks in advance

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller

thanks in advance

I was confronted with the same issue. Either I do a one time update of my old Garmin for $80 or purchase a whole new unit with lifetime map update for $99. Makes sense to buy the new unit. Even though I could have nav with my iPhone, I still prefer the utility of a separate unit and the lack of wear and tear on my data plan.

My God man! How do you function?

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I have no GPS, no navigation, no smart phone ..., nothing to worry about.

You have the internet so your not as hardcore as you think.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

lol.gif

Yeah, but he's on dial-up, 9,600 baud.
lol.gif

I have a Nuvi 255wt I bought 2/3 years ago now on sale at Best Buy. It's not the fastest or most responsive, but it works fine and gets me from point A to point B.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

lol.gif

Yeah, but he's on dial-up, 9,600 baud.
lol.gif

Only took me about 2-3 minutes to load a bitog page.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back