Garage & workbench questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 questions: I have a new concrete floor that was poured in November and would like to use a clear, penetrating sealer instead of painting. Has anyone used a product they could recommend? Also, I just built a new workbench with a 3/4" plywood top. I'm trying to decide between painting the top with a porch & floor enamel or giving it a couple coats of polyurethane. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Ther Rust Oleum garage floor coating lasts at least 4 years - I have seen one of the first ones ever "installed" and it looks as good as new.

Chemical analysis of the product shows it to be far better than many consumer-available products.

Give it nothing.
A workbench top works well as bare wood.
A little oil staining in no way impairs its function.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Give it nothing.
A workbench top works well as bare wood.
A little oil staining in no way impairs its function.

+1 I'd stain it and enjoy it as it ages and gains character.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Cover the workbench top with heavy duty formica/laminate. The stuff is tough and cleans up easy. It's also fairly easy to install.

Hmmm. I'm thinking of clearing out our shed (live in a trailer so no garage
frown.gif
) and bringing my cabinets here from my parents' garage and seperating into two cabinets and putting plywood on top as was suggested to me. I'll look into the laminate. :)

I prefer a hardboard top on the work bench--tempered Masonite--glued to particle board. Doesn't vibrate or resonate and is hard. A penetrating oil sealer (any kind, any brand) works well for easy clean up.

I painted the top of my bench with solvent based gloss porch and floor enamel. Smooth as a baby's butt and cleans up nicely.

I would use a clear floor sealer.

My 1" plywood-topped workbench across the back of the garage is painted in battleship gray porch/floor enamel. The side addition to the workbench is in several coats of polyeurathane. I think they compliment each other, but if someone held a gun to my head and told me to choose I'd go with the paint on everything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back