Galaxy S4, or Note 2? (T-Mobile)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I wasn't aware that it was a used model. The whole no contracts thing is somewhat laughable, because when you read the fine print, they charge $99 or $199 upfront and $20 a month on phones bought through T. So until the phone is paid for, the whole thing is really roughly the same cost structure.

It's only if you keep a phone after the subsidy period, or get a phone for less through an alternate source, that you can actually save bigger.

Well clarified.

I did get a phone for less, through an alternate source. Black iPhone 4S, not 4. Got sick of getting amped up about S3, S4, Note 2, Note 3 is coming, S4S on the way, S4 is like an S3S... I thought "you know what.. I know someone has an iPhone, and I don't like it all that much, BUT I cannot deny.. that it has proven itself in battle. I would LOVE an S4 but not with a contract tied to it, and no I do not want to keep paying on it" - as you said.

So, I picked up an excellent condition "Unlocked" iPhone 4S, black that is branded AT&T (????? confused) and it SHOULD be ready for T-Mobile SIM and Service.

Or AT&T GoPhone. Does AT&T still do that? (I don't have to use T-Mobile. I just like to do things differently. That's how I roll)

Also: I got my present phone two years ago. IT has been through such amazing situations.. It is truly remarkable that it still works AT ALL, much less that it is passible. (You can see a pic of it in the thread for the laptop you are buying, once I figure out SEPTA, or just drive to you.) The turnaround for phones seems to be shortening, it seems. I wonder how far off we are from a new phone every three months, from your preferred line/carrier. Are we there?

I also still believe that, with no contract, you are not "roped in." You did not talk about Early Termination Fees, JHZR2. Other than that, I feel you are making sense.
10.gif

Only problem with an ATT iPhone 4S is you won't be able to use T-Mo's 3G and be limited to their EDGE network.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

I also still believe that, with no contract, you are not "roped in." You did not talk about Early Termination Fees, JHZR2. Other than that, I feel you are making sense.
10.gif

What, early termination fees, on ATT? Well that's the whole point of a contract!!

If you were to start up T-mobile, contract fee and buy an iphone, they would charge you $199 upfront and $20/month for 24 months, to pay for the phone. If you terminate early, guess what you pay? The rest of the value of the phone. Probably not that far off in value.

I think the TM plans look like a good value, assuming that the data service is good for a pretty wide area... im not convinced of that yet, unfortunately...

t-mobile's "no contract" concept is beyond silly. It's no different than a contract.

Here's an example:

iPhone 5 16GB for AT&T costs $650.00 outright.

I go into an AT&T store and start a new contract and get the iPhone 5 for $199.

The next day I port over to T-mobile and cancel AT&T service.

Early Termination Fee of $325 + $199 for the iPhone = $524.
-----------------------------
So you not only pay $125 less than buying it outright from AT&T, but you also get pay less ultimately on the device than T-Mo's "contract free" plan.

I'm not trying to knock T-mobile. I am supportive of their business model for big cell carriers in the U.S. (it's long overdue). But to think there's no contract is silly.

You can buy a Nexus 4 from the Google Play store for $299, and there are frequently deals for Windows phones no-contract and unlocked for $199.

If you pick one of those up and activate it on T-mobile, there is a huge savings and you're not under a contract.

I am always seeing deals for unlocked/no-contract GSM phones. No way would I buy one from T-Mobile.

Note 2 or GS4? Note 2. If you're gonna buy a big phone, buy a big phone. As mom used to say "[censored] or get off the pot!"

If you have Sprint service around you, check out Ting.com. Bring or buy your own phone, costs are much less.

Originally Posted By: jigen
t-mobile's "no contract" concept is beyond silly. It's no different than a contract.

Here's an example:

iPhone 5 16GB for AT&T costs $650.00 outright.

I go into an AT&T store and start a new contract and get the iPhone 5 for $199.

The next day I port over to T-mobile and cancel AT&T service.

Early Termination Fee of $325 + $199 for the iPhone = $524.
-----------------------------
So you not only pay $125 less than buying it outright from AT&T, but you also get pay less ultimately on the device than T-Mo's "contract free" plan.

I'm not trying to knock T-mobile. I am supportive of their business model for big cell carriers in the U.S. (it's long overdue). But to think there's no contract is silly.

Interesting... Problem is that iPhone is now locked to AT&T and inserting a t-mobile sim will not work. So you have a dud unless you jailbreak it or do something that voids warranty.

My understanding is that the tmobile phone is a completely unlocked phone like if you bought it from the apple store. So pricing should be considered from that angle too.

I agree that t-mo savings aren't that substantial when you take the phone purchase out of it. But if you have phones, that will work on the network, and use them for years, you can have some savings for the duration when the phone isn't being paid for, especially if you desire to use the tether, etc.

But it's certainly not a ton of money even then.

Now, we might go over to tm, but should we ever need a new phone, the AT&T game may be a good deal, assuming it can be unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back