G-OIL 5W-30 Subaru Forester 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
First run on G-Oil 5W-30. Changed oil early (long road trip) but works out perfect as I plan on running this next oil change out to 5000 miles before the next sample and then hopefully out to 7500 miles on the following. We'll see how the oil report comes back. I am seeing an increase in MPG but will run the numbers a few more months to firm them up before posting them. Thoughts and comments appreciated.

MI/HR on Oil: 2,187
MI/HR on Unit: 43,662
Sample Date: 04/07/12
Make up Oil: 0

COMMENTS: Thanks for the notes on your driving habits. Highway use typically results in lower wear because the engine sees fewer heat cycles. And wow, does your engine's wear look great. Averages show expected wear after ~4,500 miles on the oil for typical use. Your engine's wear is much, much lower -- probably in part to your highway use and in part due to your shorter oil run. The viscosity was a touch low, but that's clearly not hurting anything. The TBN was plenty strong at 5.6, so go on up to ~5000 miles next time -- your oil/engine can take it. Nice report!

Code:
ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 1

COPPER 1

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 57

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 1

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 145

SILICON 5

SODIUM 3

CALCIUM 1823

MAGNESIUM 9

PHOSPHORUS 605

ZINC 694

BARIUM 0

SUS VISCOSITY @ 210F 53.8

CST VISCOSITY @ 100C 8.41

FLASHPOINT IN F 405

FUEL %
ANTIFREEZE % 0.0

WATER % 0.0

INSOLUBLES % 0.3

TBN 5.6

Thanks for posting! It's good to see more and more G-OIL UOAs appearing.

Viscosity is low for a 5W-30, as we have seen with G-OIL in other UOAs. But it's surprising to see it low like that after only 2200 miles. It seems to shear pretty quickly.

Another G-Oil UOA with apparently high shearing (starts at 100kV of 10.0) down to 8.4 but apparently great wear protection! At least your flashpoint is still nice and high, mine was down to 360 after only 1500 miles, but 100kV was pretty close to yours.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2595750
What's interesting is that on mine the flashpoint was lower than yours but my 100kV was actually higher.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: ChiefPilot
Eddie, this is a 2.5 normally aspirated engine.

I think they question is whether it's the EJ25 or the FB25 engine? Telling us the year of the Forester will answer that.

Probably the belt driven EJ engine which requires 30 wt oil. I woulldn't get all excited about the G oil. These EJ's are amazing on any old oil.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: ChiefPilot
Eddie, this is a 2.5 normally aspirated engine.

I think they question is whether it's the EJ25 or the FB25 engine? Telling us the year of the Forester will answer that.

Sorry guys, still learning the terminolgy.
crazy.gif
This is a 2010 EJ25.

What's with all these reports of G-Oil under 3,000 miles? By now, it's clear you can run on G-Oil for at least 5,000 miles just fine.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
What's with all these reports of G-Oil under 3,000 miles? By now, it's clear you can run on G-Oil for at least 5,000 miles just fine.

I don't know about everyone else, but my G-oil run will be short (~3000) because I need to do a 100,000 mile service on my truck, and the only time I can do it is in June, so I will be changing the oil sooner than I want. There also hasn't been a UOA on my engine, so it would be good to see how well G-oil looks at 3k before going to 5k or 6k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zako2

It's very much NOT clear that you can go at least 5,000 miles given the viscosity and TBN losses that have been shown. Especially in something like a 1.8T VW. If you were referring to my UOA I'm building up a set of UOA to see what the trend in wear looks like (50, 1500, 3000, -and if I haven't changed it yet- 5000 miles).

Basic normally aspirated engines spec'ed for 5w30, yes it's clear that this is a perfectly good 5,000 mile oil.

I will hit 5000 miles about the first week in June. Look for my posting of that report around the 15th of June. Should tell a tale. Thanks for all the comments, pro and con.

That's an excellent report, minus the shearing. Strong FP and TBN tell me you could extend to 5k just fine.

What's this G-oil business I keep hearing about.. I don't spend enough time here to keep up. I checked their website out and they have a few product lines. Which one was this? What's the price of this oil?

What's this G-oil business I keep hearing about.. I don't spend enough time here to keep up. I checked their website out and they have a few product lines. Which one was this? What's the price of this oil?

It's their Bio-based Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil. $26 for a 5-quart jug at Walmart with FAR promotions one after another.

That's an excellent report, minus the shearing. Strong FP and TBN tell me you could extend to 5k just fine.

Oil derived from beef fat. $26 at Walmart for 5 qts, butots of us have been picking it up for free after rebate. This is their regular "bio" syn version in the black bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back