"Full" Filter, Subaru EJ22, Unknown OCI Unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter looks really good, and after 40K?
The pleats are pretty even, and there are no tears.
Auto Parts Warehouse has this filter for the Subaru at $4.95.
I don't know who makes it or where it's made, but darn!
Anyway, I'd probably do a couple of 3K runs on whatever's cheap, like any Valvoline after the MIR, with a Puro air and oil, cheap after MIR, and I'd probably look for a junkyard airbox, or just RTV the crack on the current one.
Does Subaru make tough engines or what?
Does Full market tough oil filters or what?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This filter looks really good, and after 40K?
The pleats are pretty even, and there are no tears.
Auto Parts Warehouse has this filter for the Subaru at $4.95.
I don't know who makes it or where it's made, but darn!
Anyway, I'd probably do a couple of 3K runs on whatever's cheap, like any Valvoline after the MIR, with a Puro air and oil, cheap after MIR, and I'd probably look for a junkyard airbox, or just RTV the crack on the current one.
Does Subaru make tough engines or what?
Does Full market tough oil filters or what?

Yeah, that's the plan-cheap oil, changed frequently for a while. I'm now a complete EJ22 fanboy. Mainly, I was just really impressed by the 5 minute alternator swap without getting dirty. Right now I have some 100mph tape on the intake (duct tape), but I'm gonna pull it off and JB Weld the crack. I've had good luck with that in the past. I'll do the trans fluid/differential at the same time since I have to remove the air box anyway to get to the dipstick.

Now that I know a little more what to look for, the filter doesn't have the concave base, so it threads on (a lot). This seems to be an issue with some filters. So, it looks like a Subaru-specific filter. The bypass spring looked pretty long. I don't know the setting, but I imagine Full could provide it. I don't know the country of origin of the filter.

I found the receipt, and the filter was on for 57K. I would definitely recommend this filter for this application.

I find JB Weld works best on plastic if I cut an old strip or cloth and enbed it into the epoxy across the crack...makes a composite...kind of.

Originally Posted By: JOD
-adbv is silicone, was still working, though it doesn't matter in this application; hangs straight down. It seemed softer than some others?

Actually, hanging upside down, the ADBV DOES matter, as it will still siphon/gravitate out.

Epoxy putty works on air boxes as well. I broke a side of the airbox on my Axiom while clamping the top part down. Cleaned the area with 90% rubbing alcohol and put a patch, went about 3/4" past the break on the sides. 2 years later it is till there. Much easier to work with than JB Weld.

I used blue/white Locktite putty I got at Lowe's.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Epoxy putty works on air boxes as well. I broke a side of the airbox on my Axiom while clamping the top part down. Cleaned the area with 90% rubbing alcohol and put a patch, went about 3/4" past the break on the sides. 2 years later it is till there. Much easier to work with than JB Weld.

I used blue/white Locktite putty I got at Lowe's.

Yeah, JB Weld is a bit of a pain to work with. The crack is at a 90 degree angle. I think someone forced it rather than pull it out as you have to do. I'm also guessing that's why the airbox was empty...

A while back, "Onion" posted a JB weld repair where he drill small holes though the plastic (I think it was an airbox as well?), then threaded through some thin wire, basically sewing the crack together, then covered it with JB Weld. It looked really slick, so I was thinking of trying it, and I have the JB Weld onhand. Of course, I have a lot of epoxy putty on hand as well! I may give a look to see if I have some of the Locktite putty. My one concern is the location of the airbox, whic is going to see a lot of heat given it's location (basically it's on top of the back of the engine.

OK I need an update here. As a Subaru driver I would like to know what is going on with this car right now. How is it holding up or did it give up the ghost already? I bet it will make it to 300K!!!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...162#Post2351162

I'm gonna change the oil next week--I wanted to give the MMO a couple hundred miles to hopefully do some light cleaning. I'll cut the filter open when I do. The oil is pretty dark at just over 1K on it, but not horrible. In terms of driving, it actually is driving fine! It idles a little rough, but I'm pretty sure that's the IACV in need of cleaning. I've got the gasket, so I'll clean that up next week as well.

No, this car is definitely not giving up the ghost just yet!

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Any update on this?

Yeah, the car is still running perfectly! It's @ 188K right now. I changed the oil after 1.5K and then 3K, and I'll probably change it again this week. I changed it w/those Peak oil specials when they were $11.00 for oil and an STP filter. The filters were surprisingly clean. I added a bit of MMO to the first run.

The car is consuming oil, but not a ridiculous amount, about .5 qt every 1K. I'm gonna have him pick up some of the QS HM and probably a Bosch filter and got 4/5K OCI's and consider it done.

I did a few things on the car(and helped the owner do) which I mentioned in another thread (p.s. pump rebuild, IACV cleaning, changed the alternator and starter. At this point, I think the car will make it until he's ready to get rid of it, which will probably be in a couple of years.

Funny thing, I looked around for those "Full Brand" oil filters and never saw them for sale anywhere. The STP filter I used on this car never would have survived the 57K OCI, that's for sure! That thing has very little media, particularly compared to this filter.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Funny thing, I looked around for those "Full Brand" oil filters and never saw them for sale anywhere.

I've only seen them on Worldpac sites. Their prices are fairly attractive, but no better than Bosch, Mann, Mahle, and so forth from Worldpac, which are known quantities, as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back