Fuel on the rise again

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been tanking up at $2.41/gal for a few weeks now, and just did yesterday. No rise yet, we will see today...

Fuel price is completely and utterly out of my control. If it's low great and if it's high bummer and life goes on. I honestly quit looking and just pay with a credit card.

To be blunt, California has a localized fuel supply issue. Supplies are short in that region, and short of tankering in more fuel, the options for getting fuel there are low. Presto, a price increase.

Nationally, Crude prices remain low relative to historic levels. As a result, outside of California our gas prices remain favorable.

Paid 2.559 a gallon last night.

It's obviously not that well tied to crude oil prices as they went down $7-8/BBL in the past month.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
To be blunt, California has a localized fuel supply issue. Supplies are short in that region, and short of tankering in more fuel, the options for getting fuel there are low. Presto, a price increase.

Nationally, Crude prices remain low relative to historic levels. As a result, outside of California our gas prices remain favorable.

Paid 2.559 a gallon last night.

We have special blend(cost 15-20 cents more) that are mostly produced by in-state refineries. Only when our price is much higher, more than 50-60 cents, than national average(for whatever reasons), out of state refineries don't bother to produce and ship to California special blend.

http://news.yahoo.com/survey-us-gasoline-prices-down-2-cents-past-184553490--finance.html

I see California had another refinery explode. :rolleyes:

Amazing that a state with rules and regulations on everything from gay marrage to lead fishing weights can't follow OSHA guidlines. Refinery explosions seem to happen on an anual basis.....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We've been tanking up at $2.41/gal for a few weeks now, and just did yesterday. No rise yet, we will see today...

So today I went back to the same Costco station we filled up at yesterday. RUG is still $2.41, but premium went from $2.65 to $2.77.

We have the California Air Resources Board Phase 3 reformulated gas requirement. So the prices don't necessarily match that of other parts of the country that can trade US EPA standard fuel. In general it costs more, but in addition to that if a refinery goes down fuel marketers can't necessarily get more from some other part of the country. I also heard that there's a huge demand for fuel now in California - maybe the highest in several years along with low supplies because of some strange circumstances.

Quote:
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_28470713/california-gas-prices-soar-this-week

Problems with California's crude oil supplies began before Memorial Day when a series of refinery problems in the Midwest led to more oil being sent there than here. Without the ability to get relief from other U.S. regions because California doesn't have major pipelines, the West Coast has been forced to wait for large vessels from around the world to arrive.

California refineries make fuel for sale outside of California, but that's not allowed to be sold inside the state.

Diesel has gone the other way. I filled in LaSalle, IL late last week with on road diesel for my semi truck at $2.11 a gallon. Factor out the fuel tax and it was roughly $1.70. Fueled again there yesterday, and fuel cost was $2.09 a gallon for me. I get negotiated discounts that come off the pump cash price.

Those with diesels must be driving around and grinning like a mule eating burrs. Driving a vehicle that already blows away gas vehicles in mpg, and also having an equal or lower cost per gallon on top of it. Enjoy it while you can. Nothing lasts forever in this modern day.

Filled up Thursday 7/23 for $2.56 in Middletown.
Filled up in Rocky River (Cleveland west suburb) Saturday 7/25 for $2.15.
The surprise to me is that fuel is that much cheaper near the shores of Lake Erie than it is near the banks of the Ohio River.
Peak price I've seen this summer was $2.89, but that didn't last long and was thus easily avoided.
Gas remains more than a dollar lower than it was last summer, at least in OH.

$2.61 for RUG and $2.89 for PUG at the local warehouse clubs. Still not too many folks filling up at the local Costco, while the other two warehouse clubs within a stone's throw are always jammed. Other stations are $2.75 or so for RUG and $3.09 for PUG. NY tends to be a bit inelastic with prices thanks to NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back