Fuel diluter - gas smell after 400 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks.
I've smelled today some fuel vapors when checked the oil level in my Kia - just changed the oil 400 miles ago, it's M1 EP 5w30 with M1-104A filter.
I dont remember (or maybe never noticed because wasn't reading bitog a lot) this in past, even tho I know it dilutes fuel from the day 1 (had a UOA done at 9k miles)
Any thoughts on it? Leave as is or sprint to a dealer and change the oil?
Thx!

Are you going to change every 500 miles? Maybe your's is worse but I think some fuel dilution is part of the deal with HyunKia, and other GDIs. That's why I'm going 5-30 even though I had no probs running my Rio on 5-20.

Originally Posted by csandste
Are you going to change every 500 miles? Maybe your's is worse but I think some fuel dilution is part of the deal with HyunKia, and other GDIs. That's why I'm going 5-30 even though I had no probs running my Rio on 5-20.

I'm not, but as I said I dont remember this smell when used Pennzoil. This is my first run with M1

I'm not, but as I said I dont remember this smell when used Pennzoil. This is my first run with M1[/quote]

I'm not saying your Kia isn't diluting its oil but I don't see how the brand of oil could be a factor.

I have a pretty sensitive nose and can say I've never once ever changed oil on a car, generator, lawnmower or snowblower that didn't have some faint smell of gas. Never....

The nose test is meaningless.

Just keep an eye on it, if the level of the oil actually raises then you may have a injector leak. Then you have something to worry about, otherwise...welcome to direct injection...the land of "supposedly there's nothing wrong and your engine will be gone even with extended drains, until it isnt".

Seems like my oil generally smells more like gas in the winter...I checked the level in my FXT last night (and added just a wee bit of Hyper-Lube ZRA for fun when I saw it was just below full) and it really stunk bad.
Not planning to rush my next change, though, will wait the 1500 or so miles until I am at a 5kmile OCI.

A few teaspoons of fuel in a 5 Q system will smell of fuel. You can't judge how much without a UOA. Over thinking this issue in my opinion based on other UOAs on this forum, including 3 UOAs of mine. Ed

Originally Posted by dishdude
The nose test isn't accurate.
The nose test has been standardized in the ASTM D3525 - 04(2016) protocol. I believe it requires a certified FDA inspector's nose.

Lab or forget it.

I can't tell you how many "stinkers" I dealt with that came back with .5-1.5% fuel dilution.

Mobil can be a stinker too. On one engine, I noticed the crankcase vent emissions stunk a lot less on Rotella than Mobil.

Not an issue at all. Most engines these days are closed systems anyway.

This is what happens when you replace Pennzoil with Mobil-1 in GDIs.
I have three five quart jugs ready to go.... Pennzoil, Valvoline and Castrol. No Mobil-1 included.
I returned two jugs to Walmart a week ago..... Quaker State Ultimate Durability and Mobil-1 Vanilla.

All kidding aside, just keep rolling with your EP. It's great oil.... and never stand downwind when sniffing that dipstick, or downwind of an exhaust pipe on a running vehicle. You have a-lot invested in your expensive oil and filter. Use it-up for 5K..... that's my mileage limit on my new 2.4. I will probably dump the factory-fill at 4K.

I'm just hedging on whether to use my free oil change offer from the dealer. They use QS synblend and 5W20. I prefer 5w30 and full syn.

Last edited:
When my oil level rose to 1/2 quart over full,
and reeked of gas, I didn't need a lab to know I had fuel in the sump.
Just didn't know how much %....but knew it was too much.
Oil change and 91 E0 gas fixed it for me. YMMV

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I have three five quart jugs ready to go.... Pennzoil, Valvoline and Castrol. No Mobil-1 included.
I returned two jugs to Walmart a week ago..... Quaker State Ultimate Durability and Mobil-1 Vanilla.

All kidding aside, just keep rolling with your EP. It's great oil.... and never stand downwind when sniffing that dipstick, or downwind of an exhaust pipe on a running vehicle. You have a-lot invested in your expensive oil and filter. Use it-up for 5K..... that's my mileage limit on my new 2.4. I will probably dump the factory-fill at 4K.

I'm just hedging on whether to use my free oil change offer from the dealer. They use QS synblend and 5W20. I prefer 5w30 and full syn.

I have a hard time believing this. What makes M1 more susceptible to fuel dilution?

Originally Posted by Eddie
A few teaspoons of fuel in a 5 Q system will smell of fuel. You can't judge how much without a UOA. Over thinking this issue in my opinion based on other UOAs on this forum, including 3 UOAs of mine. Ed

This.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I have a hard time believing this. What makes M1 more susceptible to fuel dilution?

I have a hard time believing you think I said Mobil-1 is more susceptible to fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I have a hard time believing you think I said Mobil-1 is more susceptible to fuel dilution.

Lol someone doesn't have any sense of humor:)
Dude I just got nervous but then realized I've smelled it before, but just didn't know about this fuel dilution drama so never cared
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back