Friction Modifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some synthetics and energy conserving motor oil say they contain "friction modifiers". Can anyone tell me exactly what they are?
I've heard that they shouldn't be used in motorcycles with wet clutches, but some riders who ride bikes with wet clutches use synthetics without experiencing clutch slippage.
Is molybdenum disulfide one of the friction modifiers?
Doc

Yes, molybdenum is one of these friction modifiers, but it's the physical size, type and concentration that can make the difference between being good or bad for your wet clutch. Moly can be a problem if the particle size is too large or if too much moly is used, but moly in and of itself is not a problem as long as its properly used (correct type and concentration) and in fact you'll find moly used in 'some' motorcycle specific oils.

All JASO MA (motorcycle specific) oils 'should' be safe for wet clutches whether they're synthetic or not. Synthetic oils will not make your clutch slip if they're properly formulated. Many of the HDEO's Heavy Duty Engine Oils) that some folks refer to as diesel oils are safe for wet clutches, but there are no guarantees with these oils and formulations can and do change, so it's up to you to stay on top of this risk if you decide to take this path. Some PCMO's (Passenger Car Motor Oils) are also safe for wet clutches, but it's ultimately up to you to decide what's safe and good for your bike. I would definitely stay away from PCMO's labeled as 'Energy Conserving' because there are better choices to be had for your bike.

You can't go wrong with a good motorcycle specific oil and there's many good brands to choose from. There's also several very good HDEO's to choose from if you want to go that route, but most importantly is adhereing to your maintenance schedule listed in your operators guide, which is spcific to your bike / application. Pick your poison and keep to your schedules and you'll be fine
smile.gif

Thanks qadsan, I appreciate your rapid reply. I thought HDEO stood for High Detergent Engine Oil.
Learn something new everyday.
Doc

Harley Syn3 has no moly. That is why I use it in engine & primary. Red Line shockproof heavy for the trans

KBF, you take good care of your bike. I'll bet you are a racer.
Thanks Bruce, that is what I was looking for. Are there others?
Doc

others yes tons,

Glycerol mono tallate
sulfurized esters/fats
Phosphites
amine phosphates
Moly compounds
Boron Compounds
Boron esters
fatty amines
lard oil
fatty esters
seed oils

lot of propritary stuff everyone has a idea or a product to use most work well but most also have drawbacks such as oxidation stability, corroison problems, additive compatability etc.

Not as simple as adding additive a or b more to it.

Seems that most all mfg that are "basic" in some chemistry have something to sell that is the "best". Remember chemical compaines are always trying to find use for anything they make even a waste stream so most people do not realize is that some/most NEW chemicals are a tweek of a product that the MFG already makes looking for a new market.

bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back