Free internet from google?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks interesting. Google is taking over! it's crazy, they are everywhere!

I'll wait for more people to be the Guinea pigs and if the reviews are good, I'll switch from Xfinity.

They just rolled out their first "fiberhood" in Kansas City a couple of weeks ago. Other neighborhoods in KC to follow (not mine, unfortunately). My MIL will get it at work in January.

I recently had to clear two mouse traps. While I'm not fond of killing the little creatures, you can't have them in the house. As I cleared the traps, I thought "there's no free lunch". This made me think of my father, decades ago, he told me (many, many times) "nothing in life is free". A good lesson.

I’m very interested!
I have the middle of the road DSL package from ATT, which the rates are pretty high if you don’t call and spend about an hour every six months begging for a discount. They usually oblige, but I’m getting tired of calling…they are wearing me down.
I’d be interested to hear some feedback from anyone using the Google service.
I’d love to get rid of my ATT DSL and land line phone, once and for all.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I recently had to clear two mouse traps. While I'm not fond of killing the little creatures, you can't have them in the house. As I cleared the traps, I thought "there's no free lunch". This made me think of my father, decades ago, he told me (many, many times) "nothing in life is free". A good lesson.
You can feed and water the mice in a specifc location and they will be happy. Then you can use a have-a-heart trap and then move them miles away in the spring. By then you will have hundreds - and they can feed the owls, cats snakes and hawks.

Last edited:
I'd hate to think of what google is spying and tracking as a company that is only giving "free" Internet based upon sale of your info of your every move.

Still, free is free, which is nice.

Unless they're paying for upkeep of the utility poles and the lines and the infrastructure everywhere they're offering free internet, it's not free.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
You can feed and water the mice in a specifc location and they will be happy. Then you can use a have-a-heart trap and then move them miles away in the spring. By then you will have hundreds - and they can feed the owls, cats snakes and hawks.

Our cat needs the exercise, but I think there is an unwritten truce agreement between the cat and mouse community hereabouts.

This has been in the news for a while. Google bought a lot of dark fiber and is now becoming a small ISP. We'll see where this goes in the long-term.

1Gbps to the home is not really that useful, IMO -- most content providers are throttling and can't dump traffic to you very quickly anyways.

In addition, such big pipes are only useful if they're not usage capped. Most ISPs have monthly usage caps. If you download quite a bit or stream HD content quite a bit, it's easy to hit the cap, even at much lower transfer speeds than what Google offers. If Google does not have any usage caps, you can bet they'll instill it at some point in the future as well.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd hate to think of what google is spying and tracking as a company that is only giving "free" Internet based upon sale of your info of your every move.

Free cable tv from google is next!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Currently only offered in Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO.

I should petition my town to change our name to Kansas city, Tennessee.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

Free cable tv from google is next!
lol.gif

That really would be the optimal setup from them, if they could adjust the commercials to the users. Heck, Id take their free cable if they did that... I just refuse to PAY to watch commercials.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back