Fram xg3976a or wix 57620 for 5.9l cummins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: monster1
Yeah. They are about 7 bucks each. So the wix xp isn't all that great?

They are nice filters, but if you're looking for efficiency they are near the bottom at 50% @ 20 microns. Not everyone cares about efficiency.

Alot of diesel filters are less efficient anyways not that big of a deal the holy grail of 5.9 filters the stratopore is 99.99 at 30

You made a good choice on the Wix XP.

It's a solidly constructed filter.

My choice for my Cummins is the Fleetguard Stratapore. It's the filter that is designed by Cummins for the application. End of story.

Donaldson synthetic would be my second choice.

Next would be the the Wix XP you selected.

Last would be the standard Wix.

I wouldn't use any of the commercial filter brands on that engine. Avoid Purolator, FRAM, AC/Delco, M1, and STP.

If you want the very best filter for the truck, that would be the Fleetguard Venturi Combo filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsIhMx91xFQ

There's more technology in that filter than in FRAM's entire commercial oil filter product line.

Originally Posted By: monster1
I've narrowed it down between these two filters due to availability in my area. It is my tow vehicle and only gets driven on the weekends so the usage is low. I put about 8000 miles on it a year. About 2500 of that is towing a 5000 lb trailer. I'm using Rotella 15w-40. What filter and oci?

Thanks
20 years of use will give you 160,000 miles? Do the mfg recommended intervals and the oil is fine and a Wix of Fleetguard oil filter. I came back after thinking

Originally Posted By: CT8
20 years of use will give you 160,000 miles? Do the mfg recommended intervals and the oil is fine

LOL, I have just under 160,000 on my 2008 (only 10 years old)

Just thought I would note that both real world and bench testing by Cummins has shown that improved filter efficiency has a solid link to reducing wear, almost all the way down to an infinitesimal level.

That's part of why I now use the LF9028 exclusively. Even going from the best filter on the market up to bypass filter level filtration has shown some impressive reductions in terms of wear by Cummins.

Can't say anything specific about other engines, but for the Cummins ISB, make no mistake: Lower efficiency is directly causing more wear.

How far out does this really become an issue? Hard to say, but I plan to run my engines until they don't run anymore.

I'd go with the Ultra. I found it weird that (for my 7.3, anyway) that the regular WIX filter cost more money than the XP version which is supposedly better. Last I looked it was around $24.99 a pop for the standard WIX and 19.99 for the XP.

I presently run the OCOD on my 7.3 as it sees less than 5k a year and so I feel no need to run anything else. Used to run Motorcraft until I learned about all the tearing issues with Purolator filters and so I avoid those now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back