Fram vs. Wix (pics included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally replaced the Fram #CA8039 air filter in my wife's '97 Expedition, with a Wix #46418. I purchased the Wix at O'Reilly Auto Parts. It was $17.99

The Wix seems to be constructed very well, & the pleats are a little bit thicker than the Fram's.The Fram had 100 pleats; the Wix had 93. Overall, it seems like a toss-up with these two filters. The only complaint I have about the Fram is that the flange is a tad thin, & it might not have been creating the best seal inside the filter housing.

On the upside, the Wix is made in the USA, whereas the Fram is made in Mexico. I generally like buying American made products, so I didn't mind paying what I did for the Wix. Come to think of it, AutoZone wanted more than $18 for the Fram air filter.

I don't know exactly how many miles the Fram has on it. I put it in a couple of years ago, so I figure it has approx. 20k miles on it.

FWIW, here are a few pictures of both filters side by side.

-

-

-

[ March 22, 2006, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: wavinwayne ]

No doubt. The Wix I just replaced in my Saturn (different app I know) had 14 months and 25k miles on it and it was filty compared to that
smile.gif

Compre por favor nuestros filtros estúpidos... que necesitamos el dinero del gas hacerlo a la frontera.
( Please buy our stupid filters...we need the gas money to get to the border.)

I like the Fram Air Filter quality for my car as well. Looks exactly like a STP air filter. I will put that in my vehicle after this STP gets too dirty.

It is the FRAM oil filters that I think people have problems with.

quote:

Originally posted by BigV:
When I have a choice I buy WIX.

Made in USA and they support local racers.

I like that about them, too. I will continue to use Wix and/or Napa Gold air filters from now on. No more Fram filters of any kind for me.

FWIW The Wix for my Saturn is made in South Korea..

Still a solid filter though. I should take a look at a few other brands and see how they compare.

I have a "Premium" Federated Auto Parts panel Air Filter ... it says made by Hastings.

The media and material looks very similar to this one.

Plus the Hastings had SOOOO many more pleats than the Fram that was getting replaced. The construction seemed more solid. The Hastings was also a very tight fit
smile.gif

One thing that caught my attention was the difference in the shape of the little plastic "bullet" on the end. Seems the Wix is a little more aerodynamic. While this is probably insignificant, it may help improve airflow by a miniscule amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back