Fram Ultra XG2 [Cut Open] (for Ford Modulars)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
That's not a bad looking filter.What price range is it in? How does it compare to other filters in its class?

It was $8.97 + tax at WM. I will step out on a limb and **assume** it compares to the Purolator synthetic, and the Bosch Distance Plus, which I think both cost more than the Fram.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
That's not a bad looking filter.What price range is it in? How does it compare to other filters in its class?

It was $8.97 + tax at WM. I will step out on a limb and **assume** it compares to the Purolator synthetic, and the Bosch Distance Plus, which I think both cost more than the Fram.

I was amazed to see such a nice filter made by FRAM. But,does it work/filter as good as it looks?
28.gif

I was amazed to see such a nice filter made by FRAM. But,does it work/filter as good as it looks?
28.gif

I have no practical experience with it, but I think it does. The media is light years away from the OCOD and is synthetic. I do not like the bypass valve design (I **know** it works), but I still do not like it. If this is to be the "game changer" for FRAM and is to constitute a departure from the FRAM reputation of old, they should not have used such a cheap looking bypass valve thus seemingly allowing the old "reputation" to linger on...

This, of course, is entirely my opinion and may or may not be relevant...

28.gif

Go to FRAM's website ... they show it having very good filtering efficiency (like 99% at 20 microns if I recall right). The Ultra is a pretty nice filter IMO.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

28.gif

Go to FRAM's website ... they show it having very good filtering efficiency (like 99% at 20 microns if I recall right). The Ultra is a pretty nice filter IMO.

I just did,but,they show the TG being just as good or better.
21.gif

yep the fram XG (ultra) is the cheapest synthetic wire backed filter that I know of. not to mention available at WM.

28.gif

21.gif

For a full wire-backed synthetic, it's probably one of the highest rated filters I've seen. The Ultra says 99% @ 20 microns on FRAM's website - just checked. The older model, the Extended Guard isn't quite as good. FRAM improved the efficiency with the introduction of the Ultra series of XG filters to replace the Extended Guard XG series.

Ultra is 2nd from the bottom on this page:
http://fram.com/products/oil_filters/product_list

28.gif

21.gif

For a full wire-backed synthetic, it's probably one of the highest rated filters I've seen. The Ultra says 99% @ 20 microns on FRAM's website - just checked. The older model, the Extended Guard isn't quite as good. FRAM improved the efficiency with the introduction of the Ultra series of XG filters to replace the Extended Guard XG series.

Ultra is 2nd from the bottom on this page:
http://fram.com/products/oil_filters/product_list

No one has said anything about the TG. It looks as good as the other high end filters.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Originally Posted By: MarkStock
Looks very well made. Wonder what it looks like after 10k+.

KevGuy will be very upset you sacrificed a new FRAM.

It's all good.

What no mom jokes?

Your mom is a joke.

No one has said anything about the TG. It looks as good as the other high end filters.

If you like the non-metal end cap design, then guess it's OK. It's not high capacity/long OCI like the Ultra is either. Two different tiered filters.

If you like the non-metal end cap design, then guess it's OK. It's not high capacity/long OCI like the Ultra is either. Two different tiered filters.

Oh,ok.The ends are fiber board,correct? I didn't see that.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Nothing wrong with an orange can.

After further research the OCOD is just that.Now,the SCOD don't look too bad. (SCOD= Silver Can Of Death)
crackmeup2.gif

Oh,ok.The ends are fiber board,correct? I didn't see that.

FRAM only makes ONE filter with metal end caps ... that's the XG series. Originally called the "Extended Guard" ... now called the "Ultra".

Blue,

About the only similarities between the TG and the Ultra are high efficiencies. Most everything else construction wise inside differs, including the media in the TG which is a cellulose/synthetic blend similar to the orange can, nothing like the Ultra.

If one wanted to do annual OCI's I'd think the Ultra would be a top contender filter wise.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
After seeing these pics I'm much more confident in the extended guards I bought for my mustang. Looks like a great filter.

I agree,it does look like a great oil filter,even though I have NEVER liked FRAM oil filters.I do like their air,gas,and trans filters.
thumbsup2.gif

I bought a few for the Buick during a recent sale at PB. Nice filter, I'll be looking for deals on them and buy more when the opportunity presents itself again.

Update from a post I made on this thread earlier. The start up rattle I had from the first 2 mornings after my oil change with M1 and Fram ultra has disappeared, which I am very happy about. But something else is happening and I want opinions. It seems after a good expressway run and the engine fully warmed up when I sit at idle, my oil pressure guage (mechanical) is going down to about 25 or so, with conventional it never drops below 30-35. The dummy guage on the dash is going bezerk, jumping from nothing to mid way (just a dummy guage reading whether there is pressure or not)as soon as I give it a little gas and the pressure goes up the guage reads fine. Just wondering if the M1 and filter combo are responsible for this? not a big deal but the guage is annoying at red lights etc. Thoughts?

Could there be some cleaning going on? Or perhaps a loose wire?

Also, I always wonder about dummy guages. The only time they seem to work is when something is VERY wrong.

I wouldn't worry about the mechanical guage, its probably more accurate than the Dummy guage. Just after a good expressway run is when the oil will be at its thinnest, and at idle is when there will be the least amount pumped.

What does it do driving around town after reaching temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back