Fram Ultra XG2 [Cut Open] (for Ford Modulars)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Jim Allen also opened one of these, but here it is again--a FRAM XG2 for a Ford Modular. I think this is a good filter, but I cannot seem to be able to move past the bypass valve (though I know it is fine). This is not like the other FRAM filters, it actually is well constructed. Note that all "fuzzies" that are protruding from the filter media are likely a result of a burr or two on the can that snagged as I lifted it off.

Enjoy!

Fram Ultra XG2 (Ford Modular)-1:

fram1h.jpg

Fram Ultra XG2 (Ford Modular)-2:

fram2.jpg

Fram Ultra XG2 (Ford Modular)-3:

fram3.jpg

Fram Ultra XG2 (Ford Modular)-4:

fram4.jpg

Fram Ultra XG2 (Ford Modular)-5:

fram5.jpg

Fram Ultra XG2 (Ford Modular)-6:

fram6.jpg

Fram Ultra XG2 (Ford Modular)-7:

fram7.jpg

Fram Ultra XG2 (Ford Modular)-8:

fram8.jpg

Fram Ultra XG2 (Ford Modular)-9:

fram9.jpg

Fram Ultra XG2 (Ford Modular)-10:

fram10.jpg

Looks very well made. Wonder what it looks like after 10k+.

KevGuy will be very upset you sacrificed a new FRAM.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock

It's all good.

Thats the new 99% @20 micron 1X ply Synthetic media. I'm noticing a big difference in the "looks" of my oil from the former 2x ply xtended guard. Yellow all the way to 8k when I change it, with the xtended guard it would get pretty dark.

Note the extra rubber gasket on the metal end cap. Was it on both sides?

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Originally Posted By: MarkStock

It's all good.

What no mom jokes?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

The gasket seems to be made of a felt like material and was only on the bypass side.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

The gasket seems to be made of a felt like material and was only on the bypass side.

Don't need it on the ADBV side, as the silicone rubber seals on the end plate on that side.

This filter made me come back to Fram, I quit using them after I started reading here on Bob's. I just tried one for the first time after voting on Tuesday. I used the Ultra and 5w-30 Mobil 1. Vehicle is a 99 Ford Ranger with a 2.5 litre manual trans with 280,000 miles (still runs great). Anyway, the last two somewhat cold mornings here in Michigan I have had a really bad start up rattle for a few seconds. Mind you, I have never had this problem before with conventional whatever and whatever filter, nor with PP or QSUD (I use synthetic in the winter and conventional in the summer) I just so happened to get the mobil one on sale at costgo so gave it a try. Truck runs great but I don't like the rattle at all. I am not going to judge the filter just yet as it seems to be of great quality and I know people here like Mobil 1 as well so no bashing on either product, just stating the facts as of the last 2 days since the oil change.

Originally Posted By: ranger99
This filter made me come back to Fram, I quit using them after I started reading here on Bob's. I just tried one for the first time after voting on Tuesday.

What filter were you using before?

Way back I used the OCOD, over the last couple of years I used Purolator white cans or Pennzoil Yellow cans (also purolator) or Motorcrafts.

Originally Posted By: ranger99
Way back I used the OCOD, over the last couple of years I used Purolator white cans or Pennzoil Yellow cans (also purolator) or Motorcrafts.

There are some Ford engines that have startup rattle that is solved by using an MC filter. I thought perhaps you swapped the MC for the FRAM and then started experiencing the rattle (not saying there is anything specifically wrong with the FRAM), but I know that MC eliminates the rattle in some engines.

Nice! Thanx for sharing! Have to appreciate someone sacrificing 4 new filters at once! Great contribution.

These are nice looking filters. Been tossing around the idea of running the M1s I have left for 2 OCIs. If I do, I might have to try these next.

These are great filters and polar opposites of the orange can, they are a real value for what you get versus price.

There's a video on Youtube somewhere, they test cycle that bypass valve like a bazillion times, once I saw that no worries about it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back