Fram ToughGuard Filter Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, im currently using Mobil 1 filters, but i am unsure about running them for 7.5K miles on synthetic on my new Versa that has 3K miles on it total. I have been advised that its better to change my filter every 3.5K since filters dont supposedly last past the 4K mark, and my oil at 7.5K.
I am debating on switching over to the Fram toughguard(half the M1 price), any opinions/analysis of that filter line?
Thanks for the help!

The M1 filters will easily, easily go 10,000 miles. A few manufactuers are going to every other oil change for filter replacement.

If you want a filter with a lot of element for a decent price, go with the Purolator PureOne. You can get them on Amazon for cheap, with free shipping over 25 bucks. But, even filters with less element area like Wix or M1 will certainly be fine for your OCI and then some.

Last edited:
I'd avoid the Fram Toughguard...it still uses cardboard endcaps inside the filter. Almost any quality filter will last 10k miles. Wix (and it's NAPA Gold clone) makes nice filters that are not that expensive. Also the purolator PureOne is a great filter.

Yeah, M1 filters are good for 10k OCI's so you don't need to change them. Just do what you're doing - change the M1 filter out at your 7.5k OCI and make it easy on yourself.

I've used a Tough Guard with no problems, but as mentioned it does still use the cardboard endcaps which probably won't be an issue in regular service. If you wanted to pay less than what you'd paying for the Mobil 1 filter you could always get a Fram Extended Guard. It will last the 7,500 miles.

I've used Fram TG in the past for 5K OCI's with no issues. The Honda A-02 is very similar (I cut open) to the TG in construction. I've run the Honda to ~6k.

Nothing wrong with the M1 for a 10k+ OCI. That said, for about half the money of the M1, or less with Amazon deals and rebates, and about the same (or less) as TG, you can run a Pure One to 10k+ OCI with no worries.

welcome2.gif

I just finished two OCI's for a total of 24,000 km on a Fram Tough Guard.

I cut it open and it looked fine. The end caps were still in great condition - fully bonded to the pleats. There was quite a bit of crud stuck in the bottom of the pleats though.

This was on my 2000 Toyota Sienna which has a known sludger engine.

I bought one of these for my Suby's first oil change, until I read up on how they are constructed. I've converted over to the purolator pure-one, its only $1 more than the tough guard and a much better filter.

For what its worth, I've been using the Fram orange can of death on my old Jeep, a CJ-7, I haven't had any issues with them in the course of 4 years.

Just some food for thought, Fram claims 99% efficiency at 20 microns with the Fram Tough Guard, whereas they only claim 97% with their Extended Guard. From what I understand, the media is pretty good it's just the end caps that is still below average. However, that said, I would still use them without problem. I have a few more in my stash to use anyways.

Purolators will also do the job for you. If you have a Ford/Mazda, you can save even more money by going for the Motorcraft.

Why give money to the company that makes the Orange Can of Death when you have just as cheap or cheaper alternatives?

Originally Posted By: Dantheman
I've used FRAM filters for over 35 years . Never knew they were inferior until I came here and read all of the hysteria surrounding them .

FRAM wasn't always like this. In fact, during your 35 years of using them, they were great filters more years than they were so maligned. Blame recent cost-cutting aka corporate greed

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Originally Posted By: Dantheman
I've used FRAM filters for over 35 years . Never knew they were inferior until I came here and read all of the hysteria surrounding them .

FRAM wasn't always like this. In fact, during your 35 years of using them, they were great filters more years than they were so maligned. Blame recent cost-cutting aka corporate greed

That's actually incorrect. Though I used to believe the same. I believe it was Bill in Utah who cut open a FRAM from the 70's and found the same cardboard construction we enjoy today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back