Fram... TOUGH GUARD

Status
Not open for further replies.
No ..not unless you're going to get your money's worth out of them. Since we're talking about the Fram TG ...what are you getting for your money besides the neat grip stuff? @ about $7-8 on Amazon ..it just doesn't seem to compare to a PureOne. The upgrade to M1 doesn't seem so much.

Sure ..the average car doesn't need any better ..but the average consumer doesn't need to spend way too much for what they get either.

Fram TG= Silicone ADBV, screen-over BPV, glass-celulose media, PTFE gasket, gripper coating (which IS nice) and solid can=$5

I recently removed the TG that was on my 95 Corvette for a year and a half. approx 3000K miles on it. I cut the mofo open-I could not believe the quality construction and the glass/paper filtering medium. I had cut open a PP, PureOne, and the TG. The TG visually, has the most robust filtering medium The PureOne is apparently thicker/heavier can so it feels more solid. Right now there is a PP on it, but I think I'm going back to the Fram TG on next change

Originally Posted By: Auto-Union
Fram TG= Silicone ADBV, screen-over BPV, glass-celulose media, PTFE gasket, gripper coating (which IS nice) and solid can=$5

This is the usual price that I see the standard orange can going for ..about $4.xx at WM. Even on Amazon ..without any shipping, the TG is almost $7 (perhaps $6.xx a piece if two are purchased). You're quoting an exceptional price. PureOne and Wix are typically available for a little less or the same. The gripper stuff is nice ..although I've only experienced it with the AA Total Grip.

For a buck in difference ..it's just a matter of choice. I choose other filters.

From my study of TG2...for MC FL-820S application:

Two physical attributes; filteration and construction.

TG filteration appears to be in the PureOne class (like the FL-820S). Paper end caps are used but I saw a metal clip on media ends on a PH series so I assume TG has it also. Puraltor (& FL-820S) has glued media ends.

XG uses metal end caps and blended media with claim on +70% holding capacity. XG filtration is on par with the PH series, not so great but may be better for long OCI's to avoid load up.

My conclusions are any glued construction would be good for typical 5-6K OCI. Even if a seam fails, not catastrophic. If your doing 10-12K OCI, construction becomes more important as a fail could be on for awhile.

Also I'm not comfortable using finer filtration for 10-12K unless something like EaO or Starapore media is used. These will cost you.

If Fram filters were so bad you would see vehicle all over the shoulder of the road with connectiong rods hanging out of the oil pan.

They're obviously not so bad. They're just way over priced. Way too many better constructed/better filtering filters for less money. I'd rather have an ST, AATG, PP, ProSelect, and surely MC for the $2.xx-3.xx than pay $4.99+ for the lowest priced Fram (where's Critic to tell me I'm wrong because he got his FREE with buying 5 quarts of some oil that they wanted to get rid of?). By the time you get to a decent offering from Fram ..you can get an M1 for less ..and it will filter better. Meanwhile, a PureOne @ $5.95 every day blows the nearest priced Fram out of the water in performance and construction for about a buck more.

..but it's a free country
21.gif

I ran a Fram TG for 7400 miles and six months on a 96 SL2. For about 5500 miles of those miles, I ran the Auto-RX cleaning phase. The filter felt rather heavy (compared to most used filters) when I removed it. It's still sitting in my garage right now as I haven't had a chance to cut it apart, but I will someday unless someone offers to do it for me.

Agree. I just bought one at WalMart for my 'Vette. $4.97. Feel confident it's every bit as good as the AC's that have been on there the last couple of oil changes.

I used to use the TG on Nissan 4x4 truck years ago before buying a Ford Superduty diesel. Decent filter for the money.Wife has a 1998 Infinity QX4 4x4 (Upgraded Nissan Pathfinder) which I use the WM Supertech oil filter. This is also a well made filter at a low cost. I was surprised at the quality of the Supertech filter. Never had an issue with this filter as well.

Ruby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back