Fram...the underdog !! for car oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it's simply a price vs. value thing. In my area, the same price will buy you a Fram, Motorcraft, AC, Purolator. The Fram no doubt meets the minimum requirements, as does any filter out there -- a point I think people on both sides of the issue can miss. (Any off-the-shelf filter is going to meet the minimum requirements: this isn't an "accomplishment," it's a requirement. That's like saying, "This food is edible: it must be good!") But I digress ...

To me it's a no-brainer: if I can get a filter that uses metal instead of cardboard for the same (or in some cases lower) price, why not? If I buy the Fram instead in that case, I'm just doing it because it has the name Fram on the can, and that's just dumb.

I don't use Fram filters for two basic reasons:
1. Oil pressure builds faster on others
2. Customers are amazed that engine sounds are quieter when first started each time.
3. I cut some open. Not only is the end cardboard, but it didin't meet the perforated tube, leaving metal to perforated metal
 -

There are more pics on my site

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Kapaun:
Allied Signal sold FRAM to Honeywell.

You didn't mention the ADBV, which IMO, is what sucks the most about FRAM.
Cardboard end caps don't bother me, since the media is made out of paper anyway.
It was that LONG pause for the oil light to go out on my first start in the morning, compared to "good" filters that caused me to switch.

Ahhhh... NO.

Alied Signal BOUGHT Honeywell, and then decided to use the Honeywell name because it had better brand recognition.

Fram is the same company it's always been.

In so far as the Fram filters are concerned:

I'm not a big fan of the cardboard end caps. The ADBV has no actual proof of failing that anyone's been able to test for here at BITOG.

The Fram filters do work well, but there are other's out there that are better.

What is very interesting to me is that their x2 filter, by far their best filter, is made using tradition metal parts.

Recent tests by other people here also indicate that the filtration of the x2 filter is actually quite good.

Largely, people seem to not like Fram simply because they don't want to like them.

The filters are good for most applications. They are fine if you are not using extended drain intervals.

[ June 23, 2004, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: gerhardb ]

quote:

Originally posted by gerhardb:
The ADBV has no actual proof of failing that anyone's been able to test for here at BITOG.

I guess you haven't see this picture then?
 -

-T

I used to use Fram oil filters.I do not any longer.I don't like the small inlet holes in the filter base.I had a Fram on a GM 3.8 V-6 that I believe helped in causing some engine trouble.Can I prove the Fram contributed to the trouble? No,but the small holes,in my opinion,were a major contributor.Can I prove it didn't? No.I just know what I know.I am not real keen on the cardboard endcaps either but the small holes keep me away from them.It just seems that the small holes impede oil flow into the filter,this makes it harder to get the oil pressure up in my opinion.The flow of oil,which is slowed,means that you have a longer 'low pressure' situation and that's not good.If Fram would make their inlet holes larger,I might consider using one to see how it does.

[ June 23, 2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: motorguy222 ]

I am running a Fram PH3950 on my 03 Mitsubishi Outlander right now. Oil pressure light comes on and goes off immediately after ignition. No problems, no valve train start up noise. No difference in driveability between it and the OEM Mitsubishi (Denso) filter it replaced.

I have chopped open a PH 3950 and about 5 other brands of the same application. Besides the cardboard end caps, the Fram had less than half the filter area of any of the others including the cheaper ST.

Actually I can get Motorcraft (with silicone ADBV), Supertech and often times Purolator for less money than Fram. No brainer.

quote:

I have chopped open a PH 3950 and about 5 other brands of the same application. Besides the cardboard end caps, the Fram had less than half the filter area of any of the others including the cheaper ST

Do the 5 brands use the same type of filter media?

quote:

Actually I can get Motorcraft (with silicone ADBV), Supertech and often times Purolator for less money than Fram. No brainer.

The FL-1A Motorcraft I cut apart the other day had a black nitrile ADBV, not silicon. Still a good filter at a good price.
cheers.gif

Fram reminds me of Microsoft..."we don't make it better, we make it bigger...and charge you more for it." They are the driving force in the retail market, everyone knows Fram like they know Microsoft.

Is Microsoft Office worth $300-$500? Nope.

Is an X2 worth it? Nope. Not when viable "third party" products are available that do a commendable job at a lower price. Sure, an X2 works, but the price is too high.

quote:

Originally posted by OffOrWFO:

quote:

The FL-1A Motorcraft I cut apart the other day had a black nitrile ADBV, not silicon. Still a good filter at a good price.
cheers.gif

Yes. I've yet to see an FL1A with a silcone valve. A lot of the other Motorcraft numbers have them now though and carry an S sufix...

I'm another disgruntled former Fram user.
mad.gif

Fram takes an approach to business I really detest. They manufacture a really low-quality product (probably the cheapest/chinsiest among all major brands/assemblers) and hype the heck out of it claiming it's the best in the industry (their silly single-bypass test results) and plastering the name all over everything automotive.
rolleyes.gif

A great deal of their purchase price goes to support their advertising and sponsorships as well as the distributor kickbacks and shelving allowances paid to major retailers ... helping them become a near-monopoly.
rolleyes.gif

The fact that I can get lots of filters for a similar price ensures that I will never use a Fram again.
tongue.gif

As it is, I don't mind spending $1-$3 more for a premium filter to use along with my premium oils.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Probably the most important thing to remember in all of this is that Fram is NOT in the business of making the best oil filter, they are in the business of making money. Very rarely can someone make the "very best" of anything and still stay in business when joe blow down the street is making a "similar" product for 30% less.

Case in point. I"m a cabinet maker by trade. Some years back, I tried some DeWalt cordless tools and loved them! I now have a full selection of battery powered drills and saws. About a year ago, I was talking to one of the DeWalt reps at a Home Depot and was asking about working for the company. He told me I had to be a college grad with business and marketing degrees! I said I believe in and know all about your tools! does that count? He said no, we are not a tool company, we are a marketing company that happens to sell tools! Really changed my mind on how I look at the tools now. It's all about money!

The few people out there that "make the best" of anything will be lucky to eek out a modest living if they are lucky, supplying those who are will ing to spend the extra money. The rest just buy according to price and whats being sold by the big boobed blonde on Nascar Sunday! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back