Fram PH2870 and Purolator L14670 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open these two filters that I took off my friend's cars. The Fram is from a Mk4 VW Jetta with the 2.slow, and the Purolator is from an old Dodge Ram with a very neglected 3.9L. The ram had a water pump fail, and there was a little coolant mixing with the oil. In addition to that, the engine didn't get regular oil changes (it was 2 quarts low on a 4 quart sump, and what was left was very black), so I really wanted to see how the filter held up. Anyway here's the fram from the jetta:

121002_0000.jpg

I tore a piece of the bottom endcap off to see how strong it was (hardly took any effort, it was actually quite brittle).

121002_0001.jpg

121002_0002.jpg

My biggest issue with the fram was that all the oil drained out easily when I left it on it's side. The rubber anti-drainback valve was pretty stiff and probably wasn't making a good seal anymore. This can was a little harder to cut into than the purolator's, however.

Next is the purolator from the ram:
121002_0003.jpg

121002_0007.jpg

Here's the waviest pleat:

121002_0004.jpg

Despite the waves, the paper was still intact after being on the engine about a year with a little coolant mixing through it. The rubber anti-drainback valve was also much softer and more flexible than the fram's, and this filter still had oil in it when I cut it open.

Thanks for cutting them open.
thumbsup2.gif
The Purolator L14670 is the same one I use on my Jeep occasionally. The case does feel a bit thinner on it than other filters, but I doubt that is a problem on the Cherokee, seeing how the filter is tucked up next to the side of the engine.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Neglected or not both made it. How many miles on the Fram?

Apparently the FRAM's ADBV was not ok compared to the PC.

But as you point out, we don't know whether the application of it was within expected operating parameters.

Yeah, I've had that happen on a Fram when removed also but it wasn't causing any issues on the vehicle that I could tell, so I wasn't sure if it was truly faulty or not.

Curious on the miles though, I regard the orange can as a 5k filter that one looks like it was pushed beyond that perhaps.

Yeah, water/coolant in the oil will make exaggerated waviness. Both filters look fine. Surprised the classic made it a year with coolant and looks like it did just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back