Fram oil filters on high dollar hot rods....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions everytime they come on the speed channel. It is stunning to see these big dollar muscle cars and classic cars drive on the stage. Being a BITOG member, naturally when they show the undercarage I notice what oil filter is on the engine. More times than not I see the big OCOD sitting there.
Is this because these guys have been using them for years and they just stay loyal to the brand? If it was me I would be using whatever brand is OEM for the car, motorcraft on fords, etc.

Just thought I'd share.

No its because FRAM filters do just fine. Most of these vehicles you see are not abused and even then the Fram filters work.

Millions and millions and millions of engines out there over DECADES prove this. The OCOD mindset that some BITOG members have is another problem.
crazy2.gif
Bigger than any "issue" that Fram has with their filters IMO.

Take care, bill

Just because you know how to restore a vehicle to its fullest doesn't necessarily mean you know much about oil, oil filters, fuel filters, air filters, etc.

In addition, I do think that the OCOD hysteria is very much amplified on BITOG. Is it a [censored] filter? Yes. Would I ever use one after seeing one cut open? No. Is it certain that every OCOD will fail? Absolutely not. The millions of unknowing DIYers, mechanics, and lube shops that use them and never have an issue is a testament to that.

I don't have anything agianst them, I used them in the past. I just can't anymore knowing that for the same money I can get a filter that is better constructed.

The funny part is these engines likely have some very expensive oil in them. But a cheap filter. I guess most people think about the oil, not the filter....

I agree they are just a different design. I dont like the design and try not to use them. I found out my nissan filter is pretty much a white can of death.

i don't think anyone is saying that the OCOD will ruin an engine. but for the price there are much better options. so for anyone with any knowledge about oil filters, it simply doesn't make sense to buy an OCOD for any reason.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
i don't think anyone is saying that the OCOD will ruin an engine. but for the price there are much better options. so for anyone with any knowledge about oil filters, it simply doesn't make sense to buy an OCOD for any reason.

+1

Aren't a lot of those cars PUSHED onto the stage?
That means they aren't running.
Probably means they are a trailer queen.
You could put a potato as a filter on there and it wouldn't hurt anything.

While yeah, you can do a heck of a lot better than an OCOD for the same money, they're not at all dangerous. I've seen plenty of 454s and such used in Marine apps where they spend most of their running time around 3000 - 3500 rpm under heavy load, and still live long, healthy lives when OCODs were used.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions everytime they come on the speed channel. It is stunning to see these big dollar muscle cars and classic cars drive on the stage. Being a BITOG member, naturally when they show the undercarage I notice what oil filter is on the engine. More times than not I see the big OCOD sitting there.
Is this because these guys have been using them for years and they just stay loyal to the brand?

Probably because they think the orange looks cool, plus back in the 60's & 70's FRAM was probably what all the muscle car guys used. A lot of people have never seen the guts of an oil filter or compared brand to brand, so all they go by is the outside. How's that clique' go about "you can't judge an oil filter by it's paint job" ... or something like that but with a book.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
No its because FRAM filters do just fine. Most of these vehicles you see are not abused and even then the Fram filters work.

Millions and millions and millions of engines out there over DECADES prove this. The OCOD mindset that some BITOG members have is another problem.
crazy2.gif
Bigger than any "issue" that Fram has with their filters IMO.

Take care, bill

X2,
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Originally Posted By: jmsjags

+1
+ another

My name is Bob and I am a recovering FRAMaholic. I used them for years, on an '85 Chevy Citation that went 221,000 miles before I sold it running perfectly, and a '94 Thunderbird SuperCoupe that went over 155,000 miles before I gave it to my B-I-L who needed a car badly. Both were bought new and spent their entire lives on FRAM filters.

I know now that FRAMs are over-priced and I use OEM for the most part, but I doubt my cars can tell...
grin2.gif

I have used them in the past after the OCOD stories went around.
I still use them. I will admit that my Saturn has a Tough Guard, not the Extra Guard. I always pay the extra dollar when getting the advertized package deal.

The Mustang is getting the Extended Guard in the spring.

Would I have a problem using the Extra Guard on a non performance car? No.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
The Mustang is getting the Extended Guard in the spring.

I'd use the Extended Guard, but that would be the only one I'd feel good about.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Would I have a problem using the Extra Guard on a non performance car? No.
I might.

Ford specifies a silicone ADBV and a threaded-end bypass for a reason (I assume). I wouldn't use an OCOD on any car that spec'd either of those from the factory.

i wont use fram oil filters but i will say there are thousands and thousands of engines that are using them now and most are running fine

I'm convinced those people are using Fram filters because that is what many people used back then, and it keeps the car looking authentic.

Also, I don't know for sure if there are premium replacement filters for some of the sizes used back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back