Fram High Mileage Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father in law has developed a pretty steady oil leak in a 2006 Chevy Malibu, most presumably from the rear main seal. I will be switching his vehicle over to a high mileage oil (Pennzoil, Valvoline or Mobil depending on what is on sale) and was wondering if anyone has had any luck or experience with the Fram High Mileage Filter line. Im not familiar with the goo inside or what it is supposed to do, but if it helps swell the seals and slow down the leak I am not against trying it. Any thoughts?
confused.gif

No experience with the Fram HM (an OCOD with the additive gel), but I did have luck sealing up a minor rear seal leak with Lucas Stop Leak.

BTW-Fram's website makes no mention of seal conditioners in that filter.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with the HM oil filter. I have had good success with Valvoline MaxLife and Pennzoil High Mileage in stopping leaks, however.

They had them on closeout at Summit Racing for $1.25 so I bought a dozen of them for my kids Honda. They work fine.

I was hoping to hear some success stories or see some pictures. I Have heard varying things on what that goo does but I guess we shall see. They are not available anywhere around here locally, so I will be purchasing some online.

And I'm not worried about it being a version of the OCOD. The OCOD is perfect for this vehicle as it has had a lot of use and abuse over the years.

Thanks for the link Mr. Quackers. It does look like an OCOD with a goop cage on it. It does appear this is an older model. The newer ones have a different colored paint on the can. That may just be the only cosmetic difference though. I will buy two and sacrifice one to BITOG next week.

Nothing mysterious about the additives or what they do. They are for controlling TBN and TAN only in vehicles with high blow by or similar issues.

The Fram high mileage won't help with seals.

I suggest running some ATP 205 reseal or Liqui-moly motor oil saver

I have already put a bottle of stop leak in the crankcase. I cant remember the product off the top of my head, but it was endorsed by scotty kilmer. I will find out tommorow how much the leak has slowed down.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
The filter is for use ALONG with a high mileage oil.

It will be used in conjunction with HM oil. See origional post.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
It's an OCOD with some goo inside. For the price they charge, just get an Ultra.

Maxlife is awesome HM oil

There is no reason to put an ultra on it. It wouldnt help anything. This vehicle gets very low mileage (less than 5k per year) and the goo inside the HM filter may actually help (thats the idea at least.)

As for oil I will be using whatever is on sale. Any off the shelf HM oil should do fine in this application.

Get some M1 10w30 HM. Its on rollback at WM for $23.xx and is an A3/ B3 (HDEO). With your climate, his car will love it and it'll be thicker.

I don't want to use a synthetic. Their is most likely so much sludge in that motor that the cleaning properties of Mobil 1 will probably encourage more oil leaks to pop up. I was thinking about super tech HM (the cheapest option at about $13/5quarts IIRC), Mobil 5000 HM ($15), Pennzoil HM and Valvoline HM (both about $19 or so).

Currently I am leaning towards the super tech. It seems to be a good budget oil with a pretty decent add pack. Any thoughts?

There is a reason to use the Ultra, it is 99%+ efficient at 20 microns and 80% efficient at 5 microns, and has the highest capacity you can get off the shelf with a dual layer of synthetic media plus all the other goodies, thick can, thick paint job, silicone ADBV, sure grip, metal end caps with felt seals on ABDV/Bypass Valve.

Even if you only run 5k a year you can leave the filter on for 15,000 miles; that's what i do, change conventional oil at 3-5k and Fram Ultra at 15k.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
There is a reason to use the Ultra, it is 99%+ efficient at 20 microns and 80% efficient at 5 microns, and has the highest capacity you can get off the shelf with a dual layer of synthetic media plus all the other goodies, thick can, thick paint job, silicone ADBV, sure grip, metal end caps with felt seals on ABDV/Bypass Valve.

Even if you only run 5k a year you can leave the filter on for 15,000 miles; that's what i do, change conventional oil at 3-5k and Fram Ultra at 15k.

I think you may want to double check your sources. Im pretty sure the Royal Purple filters have the same efficiency with more capacity. They are arguably the best filters on the market. Especially if you are taking build quality into consideration. Those things are indestructible and it takes a month of sundays to open one up. The only thing the FU has on the RP is the price. You can buy 2 Fram Ultras for the price of one RP filter. But you get what you pay for right? To each their own.

This is an older, high mileage car with a very limited maintenance history. There is no reason to put top shelf parts on it. A high mileage OCOD and some HM oil will be more than enough. It would cost more to fix the vehicle than it is worth at this point. The HM oil and HM filter are just trying to keep in on the road.

Fram says 99% >20 microns (look at footnote at bottom of their webpage). That is not the same as 99% @ 20 microns. Lots of things are bigger than 20 microns, like 21, 22, 23, 24, etc. That is misleading advertising at best. At least RP gives you a solid number. Food for thought.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Fram says 99% >20 microns (look at footnote at bottom of their webpage). That is not the same as 99% @ 20 microns. Lots of things are bigger than 20 microns, like 21, 22, 23, 24, etc. That is misleading advertising at best. At least RP gives you a solid number. Food for thought.

This issue has been beat to hamburger 100 times. 99% >20 is essentially 99% @ 20 microns when the size approaches 20 microns since 20.0001 is greater than 20. And of course if it catches particles that are 20.xxxxx at 99% then it will catch anything above that at better than 99%. It's not misleading if scientific logic is used.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
It's an OCOD with some goo inside. For the price they charge, just get an Ultra.

Maxlife is awesome HM oil

Or if you're just a orange can devotee, save yourself the ~$2.50 price premium of the HM and use ML or other high mileage oil.

The HM being same as the orange can, is 5k mi rated filter. At that oci or close no need for or significant benefit from any extra proprietary additive in a filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back